All reviews lighthouse suite lighthouse bar bellingham bay jetted tub water view putting green executive plaza gas fireplace water front hotel restaurant san juan islands separate shower underground parking comfortable bed beautiful room loved this hotel fitness center
Reviewed 1 May 2016 via mobile

My wife and I had the pleasure of staying at the bellwether on our wedding night/weekend. We honestly chose the bellwether because it was the only place available, but I can't believe we looked anywhere else after staying there. The drinks and food at the restaurant were great. The room was huge and had an incredible view of the bay. We were greeted every day in our rooms with flowers. Kaitlan at the front desk gave us literally the best customer service I have ever had. Our experience at the bellwether was better than our honeymoon. If you are looking for someplace nice to stay in Bellingham then look no further.

Date of stay: August 2015
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Kevin W, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Bellwether, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2016

Dear Trevor W.,

Thank you for visiting us Trevor and for posting a kind review about your experience. I will be sure to share with our team and specifically commend Kaitlan on her level of customer service. I'm so pleased you had such a lovely time with us, and hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 26 April 2016

We stopped here for one night on our way from Seattle to Lummi Island as part of our 29th wedding anniversary weekend. The staff couldn't have been more kind, pleasant, and helpful, from the valet who took up our bags (the obliging and professional Anturo, originally from Lima, Peru, who brought us a bucket of ice, whose name I have probably mis-spelled), the front desk personnel (especially the hard-working and gracious Marcella), to the restaurant employees and room service staff. Everyone we encountered did a great job. When we passed housekeeping staff in the hallway, they universally greeted us.

We had booked the beautiful owner's suite (room 201) with a 270 degree view of Squalicum Marina and Bellingham Bay. It was very nicely appointed, with a gas fireplace, upscale Gilchrist and Soames toiletries, a Keurig-type coffee maker, and glassware, including wine glasses. We could tell the curtains, bedding, art work, and soft goods had been recently renovated and updated. However, the bed frame itself was rather creaky, when we um, how I can put this, tested it. Yes, even old folks married 29 years have a romantic life. Sorry if that was too much information.

The room was immaculately clean, and we had everything we needed in the bathroom and room. This is a large suite with a complete sitting area as well as sleeping area, and I can attest that housekeeping does a good job keeping everything dusted and maintained. We were lucky with the weather, and were able to sit out on the balcony to enjoy some wine we had brought with us, as well as the view of the harbor and views of Orcas and Lummi islands.

The front desk staff had written us a very sweet anniversary card, with beautiful handwriting, and signed by several staff. In addition, we had an absolutely gorgeous fruit plate awaiting us in our room, as well as restaurant coupons which we were able to use when we had dinner at the Lighthouse Bar and Grill.

Regarding the Lighthouse Bar and Grill, I have read reviews here where previous patrons expressed dissatisfaction with the prices. We live in the Seattle area, and I can confirm that for a meal of this caliber at home, you would pay far more than the Lighthouse Grill charged us. The service was very friendly and accommodating. We were able to split an order of Caesar salad with no problem at all. The food was beautifully presented, and well made, although my braised oxtail and pappardelle was a little bit on the watery side. We had room service through the restaurant in the morning, and the breakfast food was lovely in presentation, and very tasty. The excellent room service coffee came in a large insulated carafe, which kept the coffee nicely hot. The room service order arrived when requested, and came with all the necessary condiments and accompaniments, which is not something that every hotel gets right. So kudos to room service at the Hotel Bellwether!

Wifi, morning newspaper, and parking were complimentary, which we appreciate. The only observations I can make that prevent me from giving the Hotel Bellwether five stars, is that the walls are not very thick, and although sounds from the corridor and surrounding rooms were muted, they were audible. Also, there is no evening housekeeping or turndown service, which would be an extra nice touch for the hotel if they offered it. There is no breakfast room service order form, but if you call the Lighthouse Grill restaurant in the morning, your order is processed promptly and efficiently.

There is also a design flaw in the owner's suite. The set of windows behind the desk, that look out across the water towards the Bellingham city center, have an excellent view on the left of the suite next door, and they have an excellent view of you. Either close the sheer drapes, or do not walk around in a natural state, if you know what I mean.

Bottom line, if we are in the area again, we would stay and eat at the Hotel Bellwether. Thanks to everyone there for helping us celebrate a special milestone!

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Kevin W, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Bellwether, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2016

Dear northwestnerd,

Thank you for the glowing and detailed review, also, congratulations on your recent wedding anniversary! We are always truly honored to be a part of such special memories and I'm personally touched that you had such a wonderful time with us. I appreciate that you have commended several of our staff on their levels of customer service, and I will be sure to pass along your praises! Our Lighthouse Bar and Grill's Head Chef Michael Grogan will be sure to hear your kind words as well, we are heading in to our busy season and our restaurant is ready with many delicious offerings for the sunny season ahead. We can't wait to help you celebrate your next anniversary!

Reviewed 24 April 2016

The views from the restaurant are fantastic, you can see the sound from almost every table. Our room was comfortable, especially the jacuzzi bathtub. I wish the walls were a bit thicker, though -- we could hear footsteps in the hall quite easily. Very convenient to downtown Bellingham.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Kevin W, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Bellwether, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2016

Dear Claudia B,
Thank you for your considerate review! We pride ourselves on our fantastic views of Bellingham Bay and the San Juan Islands, of which our restaurant The Lighthouse Bar and Grill was designed to take full advantage. I am looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

Reviewed 24 April 2016

We were only able to get away and spend one night at the Bellwether, but it was very relaxing (there is a Zazen spa right next door) and well worth it. Our room was on the 3rd floor with a private balcony overlooking Yacht Harbor and Bellingham Bay. The room was nicely furnished with a king sized bed, a gas fireplace and a Jacuzzi. The Bellwether is located on a small promontory near a couple of other restaurants and a few businesses. They have a unique "lighthouse" suite with great walking paths. The staff were very friendly and the service we received at the restaurant was very good. Breakfast in the morning is excellent, beautiful views of the water you cannot go wrong staying at this hotel.

Room tip: Get a room on the 3rd floor overlooking Bellingham Bay

Dear Beachman77,

Thank you for the thoughtful and kind review! The Bellwether development is home to several wonderful restaurants and two upscale message salons. I’m glad you were able to take advantage of the convenient walking path which starts in front of our Hotel and wraps around the Bellingham marina. Since you enjoyed our breakfast, I wanted to mention that we have a bed and breakfast package available through our hotel website which will include complimentary breakfast for two. We are very much looking forward to your next stay with us!

Reviewed 21 April 2016

The main dining room has a fantastic view, wonderful food. The cozy fireplace bar has a great view, appetizers and and live music. The rooms are very nice, especially the ones with a view of Bellingham Harbor.

• Trip type: Travelled with friends

Dear Pinkie2013,

I am excited to hear that you had a lovely experience in our restaurant The Lighthouse Bar and Grill. We boast ourselves on having the best view in town! Keep in mind you can always check our hotel's website to see our full schedule of live music and our upcoming events such as our Mother’s Day Brunch on May 8th or our Dunham Cellars Wine Pairing Dinner or May 12th, we are looking forward to welcoming you again soon!