All reviews potomac mills front desk room furniture plenty of parking check in was a breeze outlet mall early check an overnight stay residence inn the room was nice two queen beds shopping area coffee maker would highly recommend this hotel free breakfast dc clerk
Reviewed 24 February 2016

I contacted the tournament director for a soccer college showcase being held in the area, to bring to their attention a disservice from the Marriott Courtyard in Potomac Mills, Woodbridge, VA related to their tournament. Several parents were very upset with the General Manager (Patrick Foley) at Courtyard Marriott for not honoring the tournaments impossibility clause written into local area hotel contracts to waive the penalty/cancellation fees for the "Act of God"(weather) issue experienced over President’s Day weekend. The tournament was cancelled due to cold weather and the Marriott refused to refund parents impacted. Their reason not to refund parents was that the hotel stay was booked through 3rd party. Are you kidding me???

First off, the parents tried to book their stay directly at Marriott Courtyard for which they did not have rooms to meet their needs. It did came to our attention that this hotel saved enough of these rooms for the 3rd party, instead of the parents, families attending the event. The parents booked through the 3rd party to stay with the families and players for their club. When the parents contacted Marriott for a refund, they stated the soccer tournament policy was invalid and non-enforceable to their policy, which is to not refund any customers who booked through a 3rd party. This is even after the Marriott Customer Complaint department contacted them to refund us. Right or wrong, the tournament was cancelled and the Marriott could have done the right thing here. They do not understand the long term impact with their decision by being short sighted for a few bucks. Proving a hotel stay or partial refund would have been acceptable and would have showed some sort of customer service and empathy for the situation. It;s not about policy, it’s people that keep you in business. Comfy bed, saying hello, providing service is expected and what you pay for, so not worthy of other reviews read for this hotel.

The parents have recommended the hotel not be used in any future events for the soccer tournament. The parents will be following up with the management team at Marriott in Bethesda, MD. Stay else where if you can!!!!!!!!

Room tip: Stay at a Hilton or Hyatt
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Patrick F, General Manager at Courtyard Potomac Mills Woodbridge, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2016

I'm very sorry that we are at an impasse, but as we discussed, you chose to book your room outside of the group block, selecting a third-party provider instead. The terms under which your reservation was booked clearly states that the reservation cannot be canceled, and that the payment is non-refundable. When you do not book through the group, clauses written into a group contract do not apply to you. There were plenty of rooms available through the group block provided you reserved your room prior to the cut-off date specified in the group contract. After the cut-off date there were rooms available at our regular rates through the Marriott website, but you chose to use a third-party, which has more restrictions regarding cancelations.

Reviewed 22 February 2016 via mobile

My husband and I had to attend a funeral over the weekend and always stay at resorts/hotels based upon reviews. The accommodations were excellent, the room was clean and the service once we arrived was great.

HOWEVER, we traveled from Florida and were told prior to our arrival we could call to see if an early check in option was available. My husband was told the day prior it did not appear to be an issue, but we couldn't be guaranteed the early check in. Approximately 30 to 45 minutes out my husband called several times to contact the hotel. The first 2 times, he let it ring for several minutes before hanging up. The third time he called, someone actually answered but upon being asked whether we could check in early so we could change, we were told to hold on and the phone was put down on the counter. We assumed they would come back to the line momentarily with an answer. My husband waited 10 minutes for someone to pick up the phone, but it never happened.

Ultimately, we had to dress for a funeral at the home of the widow instead of showing up properly dressed.

We ended up checking in after the funeral and checking out around 430 the following morning. We did not have an opportunity to use any amenities, but we would stay here again if we are in the area.

Trip type: Travelled on business
Patrick F, General Manager at Courtyard Potomac Mills Woodbridge, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2016

Thank you for letting me know of your trouble getting the front desk to answer the phone when you called. I know the desk can get quite busy at times, but your experience is not at all what we aspire to. I'm so glad your stay with us, once you got here, was a more positive experience. I hope the next time you are in Woodbridge it is for a happier occasion, and that we have a chance to welcome you back.

Reviewed 21 February 2016

We usually stay at Marriott hotels when we travel. Marriott properties are pretty consistent from one to the next, so we generally know what we're going to get. But in my experience what distinguishes one from the other is the customer service. In this case it was exceptional.

My family and I had an unplanned one-, then two-night stay here because our car broke down on a long drive home to NYC. Shanelle, the Bistro Manager (and possibly night manager?) was extremely personable and accommodating right from check-in. She was very friendly and helpful that night, and when we saw her at the bistro the next morning she was attentive and courteous. It was just the little things-- the extra-late checkout, the friendly smile, the friendliness even to our young, somewhat rambunctious children. That afternoon, when we realized we needed to book a second night, Phillis was just as friendly and personable. We couldn't have asked for more from the staff.

• Trip type: Travelled with family

I always enjoy reading about members of the staff who have gone out of their way to make your time with us more enjoyable. Bot Shanelle and Phillis consistently provide the kind of service that sets the bar for all other employees to follow. We're so glad to hear you were pleased with your stay, and look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 16 February 2016

Stayed for two nights recently. Loved the soft bed they had in the room and the pillows. Not sure if they were foam. First time ive actually slept well in a hotel. Only gripe is that my neighbors must have been on a honeymoon or something and were pretty loud in the late hours and early mornings making "noise". I know thats not the hotel's fault. Ill make sure to try and book this hotel anytime i visit the area. Im sold!

• Trip type: Travelled on business
Patrick F, General Manager at Courtyard Potomac Mills Woodbridge, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2016

Thank you so much for your review. We actually have a combination of both Feather pillows and Foam pillows to allow our guests to choose the one that is just right for them. I'm glad you slept so soundly. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 16 February 2016

Patrick Foley, very poor GM of Hotel.

Initially, I contacted the Marriott Courtyard to book a room for the PWSI soccer tournament. Marriott is a participating hotel supporting the tournament. They will certainly be making enough money with the players, families and clubs using their facility.

They had no rooms when I tried to book. I contacted a fellow parent and they did find rooms at the Marriott to accommodate us though hotels.com. Interesting, a 3rd party had been granted rooms and not a parent of a player for the tournament. Well the tournament was cancelled. The tournament director sent an e-mail that there would be an impossibility clause, all cancellation fees or penalties would be waived by all Hotels, "Act of God".

When I contacted the Marriott, which was prepaid though Hotels. com, they directed me to Hotels.com to get my money back. This is after I spoke with the front desk, sales desk, operator, etc. for 30-45 minutes. When I contacted Hotels.com, they stated, no problem, we can refund you based on the situation if Marriott will refund us. I then contacted Marriott and had Hotels.com stay on the phone. Marriott stated that Hotels.com was fully responsible, they have nothing to do with it. Marriott stated "Don't believe Hotels.com, they lie". This was to the much surprise of Hotels.com which then called out Marriott directly on the phone. Marriott reversed their position in what they said and then stated their policy was not to refund any 3rd party for a cancellation. Hotels.com and myself was stunned in disbelief. I was even more stunned when I tried to raise the issue with the Sales desk and a GM Patrick Foley. Again, they stated sorry, the impossibility clause, Act of God, did not apply to my case. Marriott will not be emphatic to your situation. They will not make an exception to a policy that clearly does not apply to this situation. The tournament was cancelled but since they lost so much money with everyone else, they became greedy to keep some parents money. I am not the only one. They could have done the right thing, displayed excellent customer service, etc., which they state when you are on the phone, on hold. This experience was lousy. I spent a few hours on the phone to work this out. I did not get back my money. What is even funnier, is that I contacted the Marriott Customer Complaint line on February 12th, which totally understood my situation. They reached out to Patrick Foley, GM to recommend refunding my money. My voicemails did not get a return phone call from the GM. Marriott has lost a lot of future business and big $$$'s to follow a policy. Sometimes policies are not right for every situation. Marriott Courtyard in Potomac Mills, won't care.

Room tip: Stay Away. Go to a Hilton or Hyatt.
  • Trip type: Travelled with family

I'm sorry we were unable to satisfy you in this matter. As you were aware when you booked a reservation through Hotels.com, these reservations cannot be canceled, and are non-refundable. There were other rooms available though the Marriott reservation system, but not at the group rates, as evidenced by the many other hotel guests that stayed with us that weekend.

The cancelation clause in the group contract did not apply to reservations booked outside of the group block. The weather was clear, though cold, and nothing prevented people from travelling.