“Goodbye, friend”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 10 May 2014

The end has come for one of the town's best restaurants.

On March 4th, Winchester City seized the assets of the restaurant for non-payment of taxes.

A lot of memories and a lot of good meals are now history.

Date of visit: March 2014
2  Thank OnTheTown2010

Reviewed 26 March 2014

Cantina d'Italia, which we have always enjoyed and found a good value, now seems to be closed. The sign on the building is gone.

Date of visit: March 2014
1  Thank YazooLady
Reviewed 10 February 2014

We absolutely loved this restaurant. nan was our server and she was so helpful. Our food was absolutely delicious and the prices were unbelievably reasonable. Huge portions. The Caesar salad was delicious. My husband had the veal scallopini which he said was very good. I had a seafood pasta dish that I can't remember the name of, but Nan suggested that I try the pink sauce on it. It was fabulous. We had leftovers and I gave them to my daughter who is in college to have a late night leftovers. They loved it as much as we did. We will definitely go there the next time we're in town.

Date of visit: February 2014
Reviewed 23 October 2013

My wife and I had dinner here last evening. It was our third visit to this restaurant and it remains a good choice in the area. They have a nice selection of entrees from which to choose. The wife had the Salmon Cantina which was very tasty and a huge portion. I had the Lasagna and was somewhat disappointed. The portion was on the small side and there was hardly any pasta in the dish. The service was good. Even though my dish wasn't the greatest, based on our previous visits, I still rate this restaurant as "very good" and would still highly recommend it.

Date of visit: October 2013
Reviewed 1 October 2013

We were wandering thru Winchester looking for food, and came upon the Cantina. We've been up and down the road for the last 10 years, and had never stopped. Were we ever glad we did! There weren't too many customers at the time, we were early, around 6:30. We were pleasantly surprised by the clasic casual Italian decor, it reminded us of other good meals.
We started with the Antipasto Freddo, a classic mix, including lettuce in their version. All the goodies, roasted peppers, mellow onions, artichoke hearts, meats, cheese - some REAL potent olives. Like the waiter said, 'A meal in itself'. We had other plans tho, so we left half of it for later.
Salad or soup was included, we had our salad, so soup was on. The tomato soup was creamed, delicate, a thin slice of bread floating in the center - topped with grated cheese! Fagioli soup made the other selection, thick and hearty, lots of beans, very tasty as well. Both evidently crafted, NOT the 'canned' variety one tastes too much.
Then they brought the food. Pasta Carbonara in a medium cream sauce, I asked for a 'bit of heat' in the sauce. It was there- but not TOO much- just to keep it interesting. All the ingredients were plentiful all thru the dish. No forkfull of noodles with a touch of sauce here. Every bite had a bit of bacon or mushroom or onion or...Again, I could only finish half of the plate. mmmm...save that for later.....
Her Pasta Posillipo was ALL the seafood. This is one of my favorite dishes, I looked on in envy. Presented as it should be, a ring of mussels ALL around the outside of the bowl (a dozen! I'd guess-), then a ring of clams, then a mound of big, fat shrimp in the center. No pasta showing, THAT'S the way to do it! The calamari were hidden within and throughout, done to that juicy, tender prime that eludes those chefs that serve 'spare tires'. A plate of joy, again with half saved for another day.
We finished up with their cannoli, a freezer treat but tasty. They make one of their own desserts, we'll try that next time. You'll be seeing me back before too long!

Date of visit: September 2013