All reviews cafe provencal quiche williamsburg winery winery tour the gabriel archer tavern provence room european country complimentary tour champagne room furnished with antiques working fireplace wonderful weekend hardwood floors romantic getaway continental breakfast yogurt stayed longer
Reviewed 9 August 2018

We've had wonderful experiences at boutique hotels/B&Bs and with staying at a vineyard before, so my wife and I thought Wedmore Place would be a perfect place to spend our five year anniversary. Based on those experiences and the exorbitant price we were paying, I expected some amount of "surprise and delight"; nothing specifically, but examples might include a complimentary bottle of wine or port in the room, chocolates on the pillow, a tour of the hotel and grounds...any nice/thoughtful perk to anticipate the needs of a guest and heighten the experience.

Sadly, we got a lot more of "confuse and disappoint". Despite hardly anyone else staying there at the time, the experience was impersonal. With this being a hotel at a winery, I expected that the two would be more integrated. I don't understand why this place was built such that most rooms (and the restaurant) overlook the pool and/or woods, rather than the beautiful vineyards which are the unique selling point. The interior does not seem particularly well-designed and constructed either; the awkward floorplans make this seem like a re-purposed building (which it is not), and our room had weird bumpouts all around the ceiling (not including the ductwork, which also should have been properly concealed in the design) which didn't look right and interrupt the trim work.

There also seem to be ongoing building maintenance issues that have been mentioned in other reviews - obvious paint/drywall issues, mold around the bathroom vent, loose tile, dusty baseboards, overgrown grass in the side yard. Any one of these is easily overlooked, but taken together you really just don't feel like you're staying at the luxury establishment that you paid for.

We set aside an afternoon to check out the winery and use our tour & tasting voucher. On arrival the place was busy and we waited a while before there was an open spot available. We were very unimpressed with the tasting room, which is just a big unadorned room with makeshift bars made out of boards and wine barrels and no seating area. Generally wineries we've been to in Virginia and elsewhere build impressive tasting rooms with architectural interest, seating areas, and a nice view, providing an enjoyable ambience regardless of the wine quality. We disliked most of the wines we tasted, and no one explained to us how the tour worked, so we considered it a bust and decided to go for walk. Not finding a nice trail to walk, we retired early back to the hotel. I feel like it would be reasonable for Wedmore to work to ensure a better winery experience for its guests - e.g. including with the base rate a higher-end tasting and tour at a reserved time, rather than handing out some cheap coupons and leaving the guest to figure it out.

That evening we had dinner at Cafe Provencal, which was excellent.

The jacuzzi tub in our room was great.

In summary, the issues here run deep and won't be solved by a chat with the maintenance or service staff (who were all courteous and provided what we asked for). Perhaps our expectations were too high, but given the price I think they were justified.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank durhamking
Reviewed 7 August 2018

Great hotel, everybody was so nice. The winery and the little tavern next door made us feel like we were out in the middle of the countryside in Europe somewhere!
We plan on going back many more times. Loved having a glass of wine in the library at the hotel.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 July 2018 via mobile

Kind of stumbled upon this wonderful hotel when looking for places around Williamsburg. Love the fact that it’s not your typical cookie cutter hotel. The rooms, all with a different theme are beautifully appointed. When we arrived we found that the air conditioning was not properly working and we were immediately relocated and upgraded to a larger even more spacious room. I the bed and linens so comfortable!! It really did feel like a Manor in a European county. We really enjoyed the pool and the adjacent Williamsburg Winery was a pleasant bonus. The wine is delicious!! Speaking of delicious, dinner, while a bit pricy, at the Cafe Provençal, was absolutely amazing. The continental breakfast in the morning was generous and a great way to start the day. Only improvement I can think of is to have a mini fridge in the room.

We will return some day to this lovely hotel!

Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 July 2018

My wife, daughter, and I stayed there for three nights on our way back from the Outer Banks, and Wedmore Place was perfect. Everyone from the front desk to pool area cleaner to the breakfast staff was wonderful. The included breakfast was awesome as well. Can't say enough good things about the hotel and would definitely recommend it. The winery tour and wine next door were terrific as well!

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 July 2018 via mobile

My husband planned a wonderful romantic weekend at The Wedmore Place just this past Saturday for our 22nd Anniversary. We were initially booked in room #27 which did NOT fit out taste or expectations so we moved to room #28 Catalonia which was much better compared to #27. #27 was Very cold but maintenance was able to close the dampers remotely to get the temperature down, and we also used a small heater they let us use to get it down faster because it was initially 58 degress in the room. Although it sounds like a lot to have to do to get comfortable it wasn't too much to scream about especially since they will be working to eliminate that issue for future guest.

I will say that I hope they make some improvements to their hotel and some of the rooms as they've reached a span in time since being build where it's time to spruce up and beautify. A little interior decoration by a professional would really help when it comes to the ambiance you'd expect in your room. If I were able to decorate I'd add beautiful bedding, beautiful romantic style drapery, and charming accents that would all coordinate well with the antique style furnishings currently there, larger televisions, and better seating in those rooms that have fireside seats in order to give guest that extra special feeling.

The staff is excellent and very accommodating. They do everything possible to make you happy.

Overall we had a wonderful weekend and were very pleased.

Sorry but for some reason I an getting an error when trying to add photos.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple