New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Plaza Azteca
Ranked #14 of 91 Restaurants in Waynesboro
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern
Good for: Kids, Cheap Eats, Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: New restaurant where south river grill was located
oh
“Good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

I liked the Plaza Azteca! The decor was nice...loved the high back booths! The staff was friendy and attentive.

I ordered a quesadilla and was happy with the taste, portion, sides, etc. The guacamole that is prepared table side is a nice touch! It was tasty too. It would be nice if they offered a half portion of the guacomole, especially if there are only two people sharing it.

I think the salsa they serve in a small stainless steel cup could be improved upon. It needs a little more kick!

The wait staff could use a little more training. Had to ask for small plates and utensils when served our appetizer.

Overall, I liked it and would go back.

• Visited March 2012

Virginia
“Perhaps finding their groove?”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2012

I had read the reviews and since I already had plenty of other favorite Mexican restaurants to choose from in the region I was hoping to find it disappointing; it wasn't meant to be.
Nicely made over comfortable interior. The menu looked pretty standard I selected Filet Azteca. A wide variety of draft beers in small to jumbo sizes with a full bar. Frozen margarita machine was being put to good use. At least 6 TV's on sports channels were broadcasting silently and surprisingly unobtrusively.
The service should have been better with 2 bartenders on staff. It wasn't bad, just sloppy. It took a bit too long to get my order placed, a neighboring patron wasn't offered chips, no salt or pepper offered and a conspicuous lack of a check-back after my meal was delivered.
Complimentary chips came with a mild salsa and an enjoyable green goddess style dip.
My meal arrived quickly. The cut of beef was not filet mignon; it was more likely a sirloin but it was well prepared well with a nice sauce and a side of Yukon gold mashed potatoes topped with sauteed squash. It was not overly seasoned and I appreciated the fact until I could rustle up any salt. For 13 bucks I hadn't expected filet mignon and what I got was a very good value. I will return and sample some Mexican items at a later date. The only complaint is also a caution if you choose to sit at the bar; beware of the rock face on the bar front, it sticks out a bit too far and is tough on knees and clothing.

• Visited March 2012
“DISAPPOINTING”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2012

We were very excited to hear that a new Mexican restaurant was coming to Waynesboro. Unfortunately we were very disappointed. The decor was nice and the service was efficient; although there did seem to be a lot of standing around by staff. The food was the main disappointment. It was very bland and overpriced. I completely agree with everything tracelingtarheel81 said regarding the food. Wanted to love this place, but just did not. We will go back to Mi Rancho or El Puerto where the staff is friendly and they serve flavorful food at a great price.

• Visited December 2011
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank goodday2
Virginia
“A la carte”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 December 2011

We decided to make our first stop here a la carte, so we just had tacos. They were tasty enough for lunch. The comments of the previous reviewer seem correct, so I won't repeat them. We will come again to try the carne asada, and then report in again. It's worth a visit for lunch, but we'll see how they do with mote complex dishes. But so far, the sauces at El Puerto are more flavorful.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Harrisonburg, Virginia
“Nice atmosphere but not good Mexican food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2011

Plaza Azteca is a new upscale Mexican restaurant in the South River Grill building. The décor has a Spanish flair, but not sombreros, piñatas and colorful blankets; it is well done and comforting with nice lighting, etched glass and paintings. You are greeted at the door by a nice friendly face and seated promptly with the waiter showing up immediately.
We order our drinks, premium margaritas with Petron; they were just ok, not weak, it just tasted like there was no lime or sour in them.
Someone brought chips and salsa and the salsa was good but no heat to it at all. There was another sauce that tasted a little like tartar sauce with no pickles in it. I tried it on a chip but think it would have been good on the fish tacos. We order cheese dip and guacamole and it came pretty fast, maybe too fast had to send the cheese dip back because it was tepid and had no spice to it, guacamole was homemade but bland also.
Chicken and spinach enchiladas and hard shell chicken tacos was what was order for dinner. The food was nice and hot but again the chicken was bland, it just cooked chicken with hardly any spices. The roasted Poblano salsa was very good and made the enchiladas but nothing had any heat to it at all. I'm not that crazy about the hot sauces they use on the table and would have loved to have a bottle of Sriracha to spice it up. Refried beans were bland with a sprinkle of queso cheese. Didn't order any dessert but they sounded good with a Flan-Crème brûlée like dessert that looked wonderful.
The service through the whole meal was without reproach hard our server was friendly and efficient and I would go back because of that. I went to the bathroom as I was leaving and the rest room was full, I witnessed one of the other servers not washing his hands after using the bathroom. This is such a shame for a nice place, which Waynesboro needs. For the money though I think I will stick with El Puerto the food is a lot more flavorful and the service is fast and friendly. It is also a good bit cheaper.

• Visited December 2011