“Fun atmosphere, food was just OK”
Review of Black Bear Bistro

Black Bear Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Black Bear Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 95 Restaurants in Warrenton
Price range: US$4 - US$20
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Combining the best of farm fresh local and organic ingredients with old-fashioned family value, Black Bear Bistro serves up generous portions of great food at very reasonable pricing. All dishes are prepared to order using the finest produce, herbs, cheeses, breads and meats. Meals are complemented by excellent Virginia wines plus on tap are a great selection of Virginia brewed draft beer selections … or try one of our signature martinis – all served by a friendly, attentive staff!Black Bear Bistro & Cellar is open daily. On Monday & Tuesday, we are open for lunch only, from 11am – 5pm. Wednesday through Sunday, lunch is served from 11am to 4pm. We serve what our patrons consider the ‘Best Lunch in Warrenton’, featuring the highest quality and tastiest food that is well worth the time it takes to prepare from scratch. Plus our Quick Lunch section satisfies our hastiest of lunch patrons who need to get in and out promptly, but still leave with a smile of satisfaction.Wednesday through Sunday, from 4pm – 9pm ( and until 10pm on Friday and Saturday ), Black Bear Bistro & Cellar shifts over to the Dinner Menu adding sumptuous entrees to our list of famous burgers and sandwiches. Chef Eisenhauer also creates a special menu each night to feature dishes he’s created for that night alone!In addition to our several indoor dining areas, Black Bear Bistro & Cellar also boasts of an outdoor patio complete with wrought iron chairs and tables covered by lovely umbrellas for shade. The patio is open seasonally and is pet friendly. Bring your furry or feathered friends to join you while you enjoy a lovely meal alfresco! While the indoor areas of Black Bear Bistro & Cellar are non-smoking, we do allow smoking outside on the patio.Whether it’s a casual lunch, a hearty dinner or a special occasion, Black Bear Bistro & Cellar has flexible dining spaces which can be combined to accommodate small to medium size receptions, parties, business lunches or meetings to suit your needs and budget.
Reviewed 15 January 2018

Came here with a group of 7 one Saturday night before going to a nearby concert. Even though it was 7:30 in the evening we were seated right away in the lowest level - next to the brick oven fire pit. Great atmosphere for a group.

Good beer and other beverage choices, and we had the fried pickles as well as the fried zucchini for an appetizer - very good, especially with the buffalo sauce. Almost too quickly our meals arrived, such that we had to eat the appetizers quickly. Meals ranged from chowder to burgers to salads with Brussel sprouts. I, though, ordered the chicken fried steak. It was huge - completely filled the plate. It was served on a full waffle, so it was a lot of food. But the steak was very tough, and one end was fatty.

Service was impeccable - Thanks, John S! He had very good recommendations for those of us that hadn't eaten there before, and he was spot on. He emphasized the local origins of the food / drinks, which was great. Wish he had said something about that chicken fried steak, though.

Overall we liked the restaurant and would recommend it to others. Next time, though, I'll stick to pizza - saw many a satisfied customer smile as the pizzas came out of the oven in front of me.

Reviewed 7 January 2018

We enjoyed our meal when staying in Warrenton. The hotel said this was one of the best around and we were not disappointed. We enjoyed our meals and our desserts as well. We were early, so they were not busy, The server was friendly and spent time chatting with us about the area.

Reviewed 13 December 2017

We have eaten at the Black Bear several times. The food has always been great and the variety is excellent. They did have a dish (I forget what it was) advertised as a Cajun dish. I am from New Orleans, born and raised, so I took a risk and ordered it. It didn't meet the standard for a real Cajun dish. I should have known better. But with regard to the rest of their menu, I have never been disappointed. They also connect to the Brick Oven pizza place next door, so you can also order an excellent pizza.

Reviewed 30 November 2017

We were passing Warrenton on US 17 at dinner time. I told my wife to google nearby restaurants and Black Bear Bistro looked like the best option. It took us 10 minutes or so to get there after finding directions. Boy was it worth it! I had a short rib biscuit. It looked small at about an inch and a half by two inches and only slightly over 3 inches long. It was served on a bottom of the sweet potato biscuit with chard and caramelized onions.Turned out there was plenty to eat and it was fabulous. Our waitress made a mistake and brought me the same dinner my wife had (Pork loin sandy) and had to take it back an get my order correctly. Wife's pork loin was great too and mine was well worth the wait. Many more things on the menu for us to try next time. ;)

Reviewed 18 November 2017

I have visited several times and the food each time has been above average. The staff can occasionally be almost disinterested though.