“Great Tacos”
Review of Bilu's Bakery

Bilu's Bakery
Ranked #19 of 31 Bakeries in Virginia Beach
Reviewed 4 December 2017

Found Bilu's as I was driving to grocery shop at Grandmart. It is located in the same shopping center area. Bilu's is a Colombian restaurant and bakery. The food here is outstanding. They have a large selection of freshly made tacos. From beef, pork, chorizo, tongue, etc. The tamales here are great too. They have Mexican as well as Guatemalan style tamales. The horchata here is a bit on the sweet side but still tasty. It is a great place to grab some lunch. We will have to return to try their other offerings.

Date of visit: November 2017

Reviewed 13 October 2017 via mobile

With few authentic Colombian options in Hampton Roads I was thrilled to try Bilu's lunch menu for the first time today and boy did it not disappoint. This is my second visit with the first being breakfast.

The location off Newtown Rd may have you pass it by even with GPS. Look for the new construction of apartments and you will be in the vicinity. Parking due to construction is on the side, no longer in front. There is ample parking and it was clear of debris as well as the walks in front of the business.

The dining room is spacious. It's broken down in three areas, but is really open. A bakery, seating area, dining room with TV and a bar in the rear. Seating is by table and chairs. The Columbian motif is felt with various knickknacks and a Columbian flag that hangs overhead.

My waitress Brianna was attentive and placed my menu down and got my drink order of an in house papaya made with milk, it's a native drink and was yum! The menu is gigantic! Lots of authentic options including their rotisserie chicken which they are known for. In the end I took my waitresses suggestion and so happy I did.

Bandeja Paisa Con / Columbian platter / grilled top round steak, pork cracklings, Columbian sausage, rice, beans, sweet fried plantains, corn patty, egg & avocado. This is their signature dish and incredible!

My first visit was the Bilu's Breakfast / mixed rice & beans w/ scrambled eggs, corn cake & Colombian sausage. Paired w/ a Mora Blackberry smoothie and a house Colombian coffee. Side of guava & caramel/ cheese pastry from their bakery. OMG, I loved it. I have not tasted food like this since residing in Miami.

The restaurant is in its 5th year of operation. Bilu's Columbian bakery inside the restaurant serves traditional favorites such as Pastelitos & empanadas. The bakery is celebrating their 7th year.

I also witnessed a military group of over 35. My assumption is there was a reservation and it got out of hand with add on's that the restaurant was not exactly prepared for. I saw attention to drinks immediately. By the time I was preparing to leave food was rolling out, but unfortunately was quickly being returned due to errors. Also guest kept coming in and pulling more tables together. My assumption is that everything was straightened out, but it was chaotic and in my opinion not necessary the businesses fault with an unpredicted group that size.

Before departing I hit up the restroom which is in the very rear by the kitchen and piano. Yep, the have a piano for entertainment I guess. The facilities were clean with proper supplies.

Executive Chef and owner Vanessa, originally from Columbia has been cooking up yummy native dishes for over 40 years. I loved both of my visits and placing them at a 4.5, rounding down.

Date of visit: October 2017
Reviewed 13 May 2016

Bilus is an authentic Columbian restaurant and bakery on Newtown Road. It is a little hole in the wall, but that is no reason to undermine the quality of the food. I ordered chicken empanadas and carne ala parilla (grilled steak). The empanadas were filled with tender chicken and soft potatoes while incased in a golden brown, crunchy shell. The carne ala parilla was cooked to a perfect medium rare topped with caramelized onions. It came with a side of refried beans and white rice. The menu offers a variety of meals from vegetarian to seafood to meat options. The atmosphere was casual and family oriented with the walls covered with Columbian flags and decor. The smell of exotic spices and fresh baked desserts filled the air. The sounds of the busy kitchen were muffled by the rhythms of popular Columbian music. The service of the staff was polite and respectful, but nothing extraordinary. The only thing I can comment on is how long the wait was to receive the food, although one thing I would take into account is the fact that I was eating with a party of 8. It was at least a 30-minute wait before the food was delivered to our table. I would recommend this restaurant to a friend, but would not suggest going with a large party.

Date of visit: May 2016
Reviewed 12 March 2016 via mobile

Your greeted by real Columbians that speak Spanish at you, but are fluent in English as well. Wonderful greeting and experience!

I've never had Columbian food before, much less food like this. The rotisserie chicken was amazing!! Very moist, amazing flavors, texture, everything was just perfect!!!

Get at least the half chicken, you will regret only a quarter chicken!!

This was my first time here, and most certainly will be one of many more!!!

Date of visit: March 2016
Reviewed 15 November 2015

Last night we tried Bilus for the first time. Their extensive menu was explained by a very friendly staff answering all of our questions. We started with Empanadas in various flavors all were good. I had the chicken with creamy mushroom sauce, it came with rice and sweet plantain and a salad, very good. My wife had the shrimp creole and loved it. Hers came with fried green plantain and salad. The other members had a range of dishes and enjoyed them all. After dinner we explored the bakery, filled with a range tasty treats. An enjoyable meal in a large clean friendly environment!

Date of visit: November 2015