All reviewsoutdoor poolthe north endcourtyard marriottfront deskquieter northcorner suitepoolside barstarbucks coffeebreakfast buffetquiet endrooms face the oceanocean viewacross the streetoff seasonthe entire hotelliving areamini fridge
Reviewed 15 July 2018 via mobile

The only reason I don't give this hotel 5 stars is that I reserve my perfect scores for exceptional hotels. However I very much liked this hotel, had all the amenities, indoor outdoor pool, etc. Would be nice to have free coffee in the lobby. I don't understand the previous review about the food - I thought the buffet was solid, and I loved the egg white fritata that you can order from the Starbucks... food was solid.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank TheSponge8
Ruth K, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/North 37th Street, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2018

Thank you for taking the time for writing such a wonderful review. We are glad that you enjoyed all of the amenities we have to offer and that you enjoyed our buffet and bistro. We hope to see you again if your travels bring you back to the area. Enjoy the rest of your summer!

Reviewed 13 July 2018

Clean rooms. Nice and helpful staff. Easy, close parking (extra charge) . great location and great beach. Fun pool. Again, really nice staff. BUT, the food is inedible and gross. The only thing that was OK was the Starbucks coffee. Even the food in the Starbucks and bistro was gross. They sold us Otis Spunkmeyer type muffins for Starbucks prices- I could not eat a bite. The breakfast buffet was nothing bu cheap fruit, stale bread, the omelette station chef obviously has never made eggs before- simply inedible. SO, I highly recommend this hotel for the location, the staff, the clean rooms...but plan to eat elsewhere. Nice sandwich shop a few blocks away called Taste.

Room Tip: away from the elevators.
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
Frances O, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/North 37th Street, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2018

Hello Emily L,

Thank you for taking your time to share your valuable feedback, I apologize for not meeting your expectations with the food. I appreciate your honest feedback and we will continue to work to improve in our menu and food services. Moving forward, I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our hotel and location. Thank you for your kinds words about the staff we would love to have you staying again with us soon. Have a wonderful summer!

Reviewed 7 July 2018

I had a reservation for July 4th and arrived at 4 pm (guaranteed check-in time). When I approached the front desk the receptionist (Kelsee) was extremely rude. First, the room wasn't ready. Second I asked when will it be ready, she said "I don't know, we are behind, it could be one hour, 2 hours or 3. I said are you serious?? and I asked her again and said "you mean to tell me you cant give me a timeframe" and she said "no I am not housekeeping" she then asked for my phone number to call me. I then proceeded to ask her "well do I get a discount for the room not being ready" again she rudely said "I'm not the supervisor and you could get free breakfast (WTF). I said can I speak to the manager, she said I don't know where she is and it'll take me a minute to get a hold of her. Again rude. Then I explained to her, where do we park being that I had a disabled vet with me and no handicap spaces or any parking space was available. She rudely said and pointed here over there or wherever you can find a space. WOW!! So she handed me a card with the reservation number on it. Didn't even tell me that the card was indeed the parking ticket we needed to place in our vehicle so we wouldn't get towed. It was only when the other front desk clerk reached out to us and said we needed to place it on our dashboard when we parked so we wouldn't get towed. It took nearly 2 hours and the room was finally ready and it was dirty and the room phone did not work. I am so disappointed in my stay at the Marriot and I have never had any problems with a Marriot and Marriot should be ashamed that this low standard hotel (in which I paid nearly 500 a night for) was equivalent to a low budget hotel. BEWARE travelers

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Janelle M
Amy M, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/North 37th Street, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2018

Thank you for your recent stay at the Courtyard Oceanfront North. I apologize for the check in experience you had. I can certainly understand how frustrating that must have been for you. I have used this as a training opportunity for our staff, to ensure this is an isolated incident. Thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed 2 July 2018

This was the first time we had ever stayed in an ocean front hotel and first time in VA beach. We had the suite which was a great value. It was huge and had a nice sized kitchen table, mini fridge, microwave and sink. Would of been nice to have some dishes and silverware, even if it was disposable. The AC unit was confusing as there is a wall thermostat and then one on the AC unit itself. Elevators are slow and get extremely busy during check-in times. The free USA Today newspaper in the lobby is nice but would of rather had some free coffee instead. Thankfully there is a D&D across the street.

The beach access is great and VA beach overall is extremely clean. Love the no-cursing signs everywhere. The Fighter Jet noise wasn't annoying as some people have written, however once night they were still roaring well past 10:30 pm.

At one point our hotel indoor pool was overrun by a girls dance/cheerleading team and there were 10-15 twelve year old girls doing pyramids and flips in the 3-4 ft indoor pool. Despite a sign that said no children under 14 should be in the pool without an adult present, there was no pushback from the staff.

Would definitely return here for a stay again.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank cdryka
Amy M, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/North 37th Street, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2018

Thank you for your detailed feedback. We are so happy you enjoyed your stay with us! I do apologize for the long wait on the elevator and the confusing A/C unit. Thank you for sharing this information with us. We will make sure that the pool is monitored more frequently as a large group of dance children were here it did make it a little difficult. i do appreciate your feedback and we would love to host you and your family again in the near future. Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review. enjoy the rest of your summer!

Reviewed 1 July 2018

To be honest, I did not stay at this location, but I visited the lobby and a (wrong) room--I was in the wrong location from the Marriott South. I wish I had booked our room here! Family-friendly, exciting atmosphere when I was there about 4PM--freshly baked cookies, a clown handing out balloon animals to kids, nicer lobby. Helpful staff to take luggage to rooms. Will book this hotel next time.

Stayed: June 2018
1  Thank Mobilmima

Thank you so much for a great comment! We would love to have you stay with us. Susan our balloon entertainer is here every Friday 3:30pm -5:30pm and on Fridays and Saturdays we have popcorn machine out for the guests from 5pm-7pm. The cookies are out daily at 4PM. We look forward to seeing you in the near future and thank you again for this wonderful review. Have a terrific summer!