“Great oysters, etc.!”

Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 11 January 2018

Enjoyed their super-fresh local oysters, a rich and creamy crab stew, and reasonably-priced, nice wine.

Reviewed 8 January 2018

Picked up an order Friday night from the carry out shop at Lowery's. The cabbage was sweet like there was sugar in it. I've never had sugar in cabbage before and don't care for it at all. Mashed potatoes obviously from a box of instant and gravy is like some kind of clear jelly and artificial flavor. Definitely not scratch made. Food here is way too expensive to be from a can or box. Macaroni salad & potato salad taste like they are from a tub at wal-mart. It is pretty obvious that the do NOT make their own sides.
On a good note, the fried chicken, meats & seafood are really good. The rolls taste homemade and are quite good also.

Reviewed 18 December 2017

Lowery's Restaurant has been a Tappahannock tradition since 1938, and it was a family tradition for my son and I from 1984 until he passed away in 2015. It's taken me a little while to get back up the road since he's been gone (Tappahannock's about an hour from home), but my husband and I were in town today and decided to stop for lunch. The menu has changed over the years...but the food's still great. We arrived around 11:30 and were taken straight to our seats. Our waitress was very pleasant and took care of our every need. I ordered a Turkey Club Sandwich with Fries, and it was more than I could eat. I'll have lunch for tomorrow ! My husband had a Steak and Cheese, which was served on a hamburger bun, and enjoyed every bite...even eating all of his fries. The fries were excellent by the way. I'm not going to wait so long between trips again, there's a reason that this restaurant has survived since 1938.

Reviewed 7 December 2017

Had lunch (12/4) at Lowery's. We try to stop when we are in the area (a couple times a year). Sadly, this experience was poor. We were seated in a booth by the hostess station (servers congregated there and discussed their tips, their breaks, shopping and diners at their sections). Very disruptive when trying to enjoy a meal. Service was spotty. Food was average at best. I had the two piece chicken dinner with mashed potatoes and green beans ($12.99). Food was lukewarm when served. My hubby had the salad bar and a dozen raw oysters on the half shell. Ice on the oyster tray was melted when the oysters were served. It seemed to us that our meals must have sat in the back a while before being served. Lowery's definitely has service issues. We will not return.

Reviewed 16 November 2017

We rarely have occasion to go through Tappahannock but we have always stopped at Lowerys when we do, going back to a recommendation by a former native many years ago. Our first trip through there was over 30 years ago, we have been there every six or seven years since.

The service is still friendly and efficient, but I have to say that on this visit, we both felt that the quality of the seafood has slipped while the prices seem to have risen out of proportion to typical restaurant-price inflation.

I have to say also that the introduction of numerous flat-screen TVs we found to be jarring. The place seems to be moving toward being more of a sports grill.

On our next trip through Tappahannock we will try Los Portales or the Fat Finch.

1  Thank InformedTraveller