“Hidden Gem”

Bethlehem Restaurant and Grocery
Ranked #48 of 492 Restaurants in Roanoke
Reviewed 9 September 2017 via mobile

Chose Bethlehem Restaurant on a whim for my birthday. Great decision! Delicious gyros and chicken swarma. The taboulleh is awesome. It does not look like a palace, but the food is fit for a king.

1  Thank Craig H

Reviewed 3 August 2017

It's nothing to look at and is certainly not a fine dining experience, but the food is tremendous. If you get a variety plate with a bit of everything, you will be happy. Definitely don't skip the tabouli. Drinks are from a cooler and don't expect a sommelier to stop by but the food makes it worthwhile.

Reviewed 27 July 2017

Very informal, comfortable and tidy. Located in the Market. You order at the counter. Everything is made fresh and delicious. I love the hummus, and the stuffed grape leaves are the best that I have ever had. Their fresh mint tea is wonderful, but allow time for this to steep. Lots of great dishes, including the chicken shawarma, lamb chops, tabouli ... is super fresh and minty. And!! The prices are Very reasonable.

Reviewed 1 July 2017 via mobile

My family drove to Roanoke for the day and decided to have lunch at Bethlehem Restaurant. We had the hummus as a starter, which was fresh and delicious. Next time we will ask for more pita bread as we had lots of hummus left.

We ordered the gyro, the kufta sandwich, the chicken kebob and the kufta kebobs. While the food was being prepared, we wandered around the grocery. The gyro and the kufta sandwich came to the table first, both served with seasoned fries. The kebobs took a little longer, but were well worth the wait. Definitely will be back!

Reviewed 27 June 2017

This restaurant does not look appealing on the outside but is well worth a visit. The menu is limit and all the entrees are meat. It is the only reason I gave 4/5 instead of 5/5. This was very off-putting to us as vegetarians. We had expected that a middle eastern restaurant would be vegetarian friendly. We were considering getting a selection of appetizers but talked to the waitress. She told us that there was a vegetarian sampler plate available which is not on the menu. It should be!

The food was excellent, some of the best tasting I have had outside of the middle east. The plate, which cost $12.95, was a variety of eight different items. Each was very good. Included was hummus, babaganouj, stuffed graph leaves, tabouli, roasted peppers, pita bread. There was also something I had not seen before, a filled pastry of some kind, which was excellent. I forget the 8th item.

It was early when we arrived and we were the only customers. The service was excellent and the waitress very friendly. I would prefer to have a little more choice but we will definitely return, even though we are likely to have to eat the same next time.