All reviews room was clean breakfast buffet hot tub close to the airport would stay here again lounge area bed and pillows upon check king room fitness center staff was very friendly and helpful front desk staff stayed one night ballroom mall conference highway
Reviewed 18 July 2018

We were at this hotel because of our semi annual event weekend. we arrived early on Friday and Luwanda got us checked in quickly. everyone was very nice. our room was nice and I would come here again. It will be really nice when all the work is finished and the pool is open. If you do stay here they will have a restaurant on site but if you want some good country cooking go to the Roanoaker Restaurant. There is a Hardees close by also a dollar tree for shopping.

Room tip: we were in room 424 and everything was quite.
Date of stay: July 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 July 2018

In the middle of renovations, so far things look good. Some finishing touches were still missing in some of the rooms, such as the towel hooks, toilet paper holders, and in one room, the closet rod was not yet installed. Rooms need more hangers too. Bedding was nice, pillows and mattresses were average. Pools were not open, so I can't review them. The staff are very helpful and friendly. Note that the air-conditioning did not work in the ballrooms, and in the elevators. The main elevator is malfunction a few times. Overall, we had a good experience and would stay there again.

Date of stay: July 2018
Reviewed 8 July 2018

When my friend and I walked into the HI Express we knew something was up. The hotel was under construction and covered in dust everywhere. The doors to the bathroom were covered in dust and the lobby was in a state of construction that looked more like destruction. We gave a glance over to the area that served as a restaurant and there was food out in the open. If the doors to the bathroom were covered in dust I'm sure the food was as well. I was giving them the benefit of the doubt by checking the room out -- sometimes the construction is confined to a specific area of the hotel and they give you a room in an area that has either been finished already or hasn't been started. But no -- the halls were filled with dust. We walked into the room and our window looked out over a ballroom or some kind of lobby area that was torn apart. That's when we turned around and told them we weren't staying. By then I was coughing and sputtering from breathing all that crap in. It took hours for the allergic reaction to subside. There was, of course, no objection or reaction to us cancelling and walking out. We stayed in the nearby Sheraton and had a lovely stay.

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 June 2018 via mobile

I stayed at Holiday Inn for work, which typically isn't my first choice however the staff was great and the rooms were clean, fresh and new. I was pleasantly surprised. We also met Tyler who was very friendly and told us about the plans for the hotel. They are still renovating so the common spaces do need work but overall, decent property.

Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 13 June 2018 via mobile

I have been to this Holiday Inn on numerous occasions, most often in connection with cat shows. This year, we held our regional banquet in the facility, and while the rooms are lovely and the staff is very accommodating, the hotel is not quite up to par yet due to its renovation.

The front desk staff is really excellent. I had car troubles, and they were very helpful with making and extending my reservation.

The rooms are newly decorated and very comfortable. They have a refrigerator and microwave, and an in room Keurig coffee maker. Towels or thick and fluffy, the bed is very comfortable, and they have a nice trundle bed/couch arrangement, as well.

My only regret is that they do not have bathtubs in the rooms, just showers, and after all of my stress from work and car issues, I would have liked a good long soak. The outdoor pool is under construction; I believe that the indoor pool is also under renovation.. Check with them first about this if you really want to go for a swim at the hotel.

Then there was the banquet. Right now, again due to the renovation, this is where the hotel really falls down. The banquet facility was HOT...as in temperature. Like 80°F, and the restroom for the banquet facility was even hotter!

Then there is the food, which was below par and what I would call “standard kitchen fare.“ The meat for the roast beef was gray. Nobody at my table had the chicken, my stuffed flounder was dried around the edges, and the string beans were CANNED! Awful.

The $9 breakfast buffet was marginally better, although there was plenty of decent bacon and fresh fruit. Hotel dinners were unremarkable. The lettuce for my salad on Friday night was starting to get a little brown around the edges, my burger was a “pull it from the freezer and slap it in the oven“ — read that as no grill marks— and the bun was not toasted. The burgers were supposed to have come with lettuce and tomato, and of the server had to go back to the kitchen to get them. The grilled salmon (thank God I asked for it rare) was “crispy” if you catch my drift. The broccoli was decent.

Overall, it seems to me that the kitchen staff must be kids just out of culinary school with little experience and little to no passion for what they do, because the food is less than mediocre. (I say this because I am a Cook who takes pride in everything she makes.) A pre-packaged seasoning mix with too much salt seems to have been the seasoning on the salmon.

So my recommendation is that it’s a good place to sleep, but don’t eat there at present. There are lots of really good restaurants in Roanoke.

Trip type: Travelled with friends