See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 2 May 2018

This hotel voted one of best of Roanoke in 2011. Used to have free hot/cold breakfast, fitness room. Downhill since, but being renovated. Room was large 2 dbl's, not queens, new beds, carpet, paint, fiberglass shower/tub, - ref and microwave nice surprise. Shampoo/body lotion a surprise. Still needs new room furniture. Toilet too far from vanity where toilet paper is located instead of on wall next to toilet. Dumb to not put on wall - need long arms to reach or get first. Lobby clean, medium size for that type hotel. Need auto doors as hard to get luggage cart through while opening & holding doors. Hallway on first floor needs new carpet, wall paper, paint room doors or replace. Didn't ask if breakfast room & fitness room were to be renovated and offered breakfast in the future. Outdoor pool was covered for winter. Staff friendly and prompt.

Price on hotels.com was a low $41, special of $37 with 1 1/2 stars, but no immediate rooms at 3 am. Called hotel direct and said had rooms. I asked if 1 1/2 stars and rate meant roaches and dirt. He said come see. I've seen a roach at 5-star resorts as a former meeting planner. We did and stayed on first floor based on the partially renovated and clean room, and price. Plans changed and we stayed another night. However hot water system went out and no hot water in am. Was being worked on and locating a part for repair. They did refund me $5 for no hot water. We boiled some in the microwave, so we did have some hot water. Hard to take a bath in an insulated coffee cup. But we did boil several at one time and dumped the water in the sink to rinse off. LOL. I don't sleep in the lobby so don't need to pay for a large nice expensive lobby.

So I give it a 2 1/2 star. 3 star when renovations completed.

If traveling through and you want a nice clean room, cheap price, close to the airport, consider this in Roanoke VA. Days Inn, Red Roof's and similar were $50 - $60. Its also close to downtown Roanoke.

Room Tip: First floor for convenience.
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
Airport P, General Manager at Airport Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2018

thank you so much for staying with us we appreciate your feed back . we hope to see you again in the near future .

Reviewed 28 July 2017

The staff are friendly. The hotel is disgusting and has code violations big time. The veneer on the bathroom door was taped to the door with scotch tape! There was a used washcloth slung over the curtain rod of the shower. I wondered if I would be any cleaner for having used the shower??? There was no mirror in the bathroom. The coffee in the room was horrible!! The alarm clock was non-functional - had just a bare wire hanging from it with no plug. The smoke detector had a dead battery and beeped all night. The room stunk! It was supposed to be a non-smoking room but the nightstand had cigarette burns on it. The furniture was mismatched. It appeared that it was a boarding house as many people lived there. A cable guy demanded to come into my room to upgrade the equipment in the morning. He treated me as though I was living there as most of the other people in that hotel were. There were constantly people hanging out in front of the hotel begging for rides. The laundry area /ice area was filthy dirty.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled solo
Airport P, Manager at Airport Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2017

we are deeply sorry your stay was any thing less than perfect .. we promise to tackle the issues mentioned in your comment , we are a new management that just took over the hotel on September 2017 and we are working so hard to address any issues that previous management may have fell short at .. again we deeply apologize and hope to see again in the near future

Reviewed 26 July 2017

The most positive comment about this place is that the front desk staff are friendly and very helpful. Unfortunately the place exceeded its "best before date" by about 30 years. It's in desperate need of repairs; from the pealing paint, filthy stained carpets, scratches on the walls and stale cigarette ordours everywhere. Security seems almost non existent and the area is sketchy. It's the cheapest place to stay and I guess you get what you pay for. For us, we will be giving it a miss in the future.

Room Tip: Book somewhere else.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family

Reviewed 1 October 2015 via mobile

I arrived at midnight. Shuttle picked me up. Room was filthy. Tile floor hadn't been swept or mopped in days. Room was moldy, musty smelling. Dirty towel & shirt hanging on back of bathroom door. TV had something all over it. Stay away!!!!!!!

Stayed: September 2015, travelled solo
4  Thank Rebecca C
Reviewed 30 July 2015

It's an old Howard Johnson. If it was still a HoJo things would be better (the elevator really needed maintenance, for example) but the rates a lot higher. It's still OK for now but the future depends on the upkeep. Because it was once a chain the rooms are bigger than the independently owned norm. But because of the cheap price the clientele is more likely to be locals down on their luck than out-of-town travelers. I had no issues during my one night stay, but I can see where the bad impressions of other reviewers came from. While I would have no problem staying here again when traveling solo I'd be reluctant to choose this place otherwise, but it was a lot cheaper on a weekend, when all the nearby chains jacked up their rates to make it hard to justify staying elsewhere. Had it been a Sunday through a Thursday though, I wouldn't have made it here in the first place.

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled solo