All reviews quiet hotel nice stay motel rates linens
Reviewed 8 August 2018

We were in town for a fun weekend to see our favorite band play at the Union Bank and Trust Pavilion. Little did we know that our fun weekend would be cut short and be the most unpleasant stay we have had at a hotel.

Upon arrival, my husband checked us in which was at least a 10-15 minute process. We were told that there was not any wallpaper in our room, when breakfast was served and how to operate the TV remote. Quite a variety of things to tell us, but we did not think twice about it. Little did we know that the entire hotel, except the rooms on the first floor, were under MAJOR renovation. Interesting that nothing was said about the renovation except there was no wall paper. We went to our room on the second floor and as soon as we stepped off the elevator we entered the major construction. There was a gentleman running a shop vac as there was drywall droppings and dust throughout. No type of plastic or protectant was on the carpet so the shop vac was spreading even more dust into the air. When we entered our room it was apparent that the room was still under construction and there was dust throughout. We tried to make the best of the situation and started to settle in. After about 45 minutes, I could feel the dust from the dry wall and construction in my throat and lungs and I was developing a headache. We went to the front desk to see if we could be moved to a room on the 1st floor as we were hoping the construction dust would not be in that area. We waited for about 30 minutes while the lady at the front desk checked in 2 guests. When it was our turn I explained that I was having health issues due to the dust and other toxins in the air and asked if we could be moved to a room on the first floor. She immediately started shamming us for not coming to the front desk immediately after check-in as she did not have a house keeper to clean our room. She asked us to step aside while she checked in more guests. I started looking for another hotel to stay at but everything in the area was booked. I even looked at Airbnb’s but they were also all booked. Finally after another 30 minutes I asked her if there was a solution to our problem. She wanted us to wait while she checked in more guests and again shamed us for ‘waiting so long’ to ask for a different room. I explained to her that we were not going to wait any longer as there were now 3 more people in line to be checked in. Her solution was to possibly move us to the third floor. Since we knew there was also construction on the third floor, we were hesitant but agreed to take a look. We went to the third floor and it was worse than the second floor! We returned to our room on the second floor. While trying to unlock our room, a gentleman asked if we need help and he explained that he worked at the hotel and they were trying to vacuum up the drywall throughout the hall. I explained to him the health issues I was having and how we received no notification that the hotel was under major renovation. He apologized and when I told him that the front desk lady wanted to move us to the third floor he warned us that the third floor was worse than the second floor.

We decided to leave the room to go have dinner as we wanted to spend as little time in the room as possible. Later that evening when we drove back to the hotel, we were lucky to park in one of the 3 parking spots that were vacant at the back of the hotel, as a construction dumpster was taking up quite a few spaces. We rushed to the only entrance at the front of the hotel in the pitch dark, as none of the lights were working in the parking lot. When we entered the hotel the same lady that shamed us earlier was at the front desk so I mentioned that none of the lights in the parking lot were working and her response was, “I know”. We also noticed all of the signs in the parking lot stating that the hotel was not responsible for any theft or damage to vehicles. That is a great way to make your guests feel safe – warning signs and no working lights.

We woke up early the next morning to leave as soon as we could as we tried to spend as little time as possible in the hotel. When we checked out, I asked for the information of the General Manager and the gentleman at the counter said that he was the General Manager. I explained to him all of the issues listed above and his reaction was that he was sorry and could take $10 off our room rate. I told him that I was not satisfied with that and he said there was nothing further he could do. Then he asked if we were Choice Members and after I told him we were he said he could email us a coupon for a friends and family discount. He then went on to tell me that the friend and family rate at that hotel was $49/night. Interesting that the rate at the hotel we had so many issues at was so low for friends and family, but he could only offer me a discount of $10 off a night after we had so many issues. And the friends and family discount is only valid for 30 days, which he failed to mention.

I also complained about the cleanliness of our room. The bottom of the shower was brown and needed major cleaning. And of course there was dust everywhere in the room.

I contacted Choice Hotels customer service who said they could not do anything as each hotel is individually owned. I have asked for the name and contact info for the owner of this hotel but so far Choice Hotels customer service has not given me that info.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 August 2018 via mobile

When we arrived at the hotel we were greeted by a lobby full of cement bags and construction supplies. Sindy also greeted us at the front desk and was very pleasant. Walking through the hallway to the room was literally walking through a construction site. While it is obvious the hotel is undergoing a renovation, the room we stayed in was not a room that had been touched yet. Shabby and dilapidated are the best words to describe this room. The box spring had material hanging off of it. The desk was chipped. Any metal surface in the bathroom was rusty. The permanent mat in the bathtub was dirty and curled. The carpet was matter and had seen better days. I believe the housekeeping staff (which was also quite friendly when we saw them in the hallway) was doing their best, but they didn’t have much to work with. The highlight of the stay was breakfast. They provide a hot breakfast with a waffle maker, but the best part of breakfast was Haty. She ran the breakfast area like we were guests in her home. She was a ray of sunshine. Her beautiful attitude started our day off right. I hope the renovation brings this hotel up to the level of the lovely staff who work there.

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 31 July 2018 via mobile

If you can get past the obvious renovation going on, get past the smells from the updates, etc., then this place isn't bad.

My first night there I did ask for another room. My first room had a dirty feel to it. I called the lobby and told them that not only did it seem dirty but that the room air conditioner sounded like an emergency siren going off was all it took to get me moved to a room that was nearly completely renovated.

The staff is very nice and friendly. They truly want to make sure you have a good stay.

I couldn't pay the steep prices of other hotels at this time of year. I took a chance on this hotel. I'm glad I did.

When the renovation is complete I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 18 July 2018

This property is currently under active renovation, but the advertisements I've seen don't mention this. Boxes of furniture, wall repairs, carpet removal, and aging ice machines are part of the ambience. Signs in the parking area warning "Not Responsible for Damage or Theft" were fair warning, although the neighborhood looked okay. My room was basic but acceptable, and quiet enough. The juice machine was broken and the breakfast food options looked processed. Portsmouth offers limited offerings for lodging, and once the renovations are done I'm sure the property will be better. The staff were friendly and helpful.

Room tip: Call ahead to ask about progress on renovations!
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 30 May 2018

Every person that works there that I came across was nice and helpful. Great customer service but I'm afraid that's all the positive I can say. The building is old and not very clean. The elevator missing buttons. Fixtures were rusted. The phone keyboard very dirty I didn't want to touch it. Roomed smelled like oldness or used to be a smoking room. I didn't eat breakfast. I'm vegetarian so I didn't like the meats and the orange I wanted was scribbled up. The air conditioner unit blew out stinky air so I just kept it off. The TV didn't work the 3 days I was there. She explained to me at check-in how to use it: you hit the power button once, wait two second then hit the input button twice. Didn't work. I called her and told her and she explained what to do again. I waited an hour and after being extremely bored tried it again, didn't work. Called her again and she told me to turn it on by the tv, that didn't work either. She didn't offer to come up so I left it as is with no tv during my 2 nights stay. Tub had cigarette burns on tub as you can see in photos. Would I stay there again? Maybe, because the price was around $80 all other hotels near VA Beach were in the $200 range. I would stay for a short visit only.

Date of stay: May 2018