“Home away from home!!”

and 1 more site!
Ocean Beach Backpackers
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Ive spent almost a whole year at this hostel (on 3 seperate occasion) so its safe to say im a fan, its practically home! I guarentee if you book in for a week you'll end up staying for months!
The weekends can be a bit wild but when your travelling surely thats what you want, who wants to rock up to a place with no atmosphere!
There are alot of long termers (me being one) but can you blame us? The hostels situated literally across the road from one of the most stunning beaches in the whole of Australia!!!
If your up for a laugh and love to socialose then this is the place for you!
Theres a small courtyard, 3 tv rooms inc foxtel and xbox, a fully funcional kitchen with ovens which if youve travelled around Australia you'll know these are few and far between!
The rooms are pretty spacious with lockers and linen you can change as and when you like!
They offer 1 free food night per week which is now chicken kebabs and there YUM!
You can also use surf boards, snorkels, volley ball nets, footballs, body boards and rugby balls all free of charge from reception and this is just another plus which makes this hostel the best ive ever been too!
I wouldnt pay much attention to previous bad reviews as in my experience people are more inclined to voice there opioion if they have a bad experience and I know many many people who have returned to this hostel time after time so to me that speaks volumes!!!
If your after a good time, great company and a awesome location then get checked into the OBB and become part of the ever growing family!!!!

Room Tip: rooms 12b-28 have the best view
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Gem1607

Reviewed 23 May 2014

I have stayed at the OBB many times during the last year and have always been happy and welcomed by the backpackers that were staying there at the time. I have left to go traveling many times and keep end up going back there because I've always felt at home there! The people are always very welcoming and can be very like a family if you get a chance to get no them!

The hostel is in an amazing position, its only 1 min walk to Cottesloe beach which on a nice day is unbelievable. The beach has one of the best sunsets in Oz which is must see, on the weekends you can usually find most of the backpackers on the beach around a camp fire singing and having a great time which was one on my favourite things about OBB, everybody was always welcome down.

The staff are always very helpful and they keep the place tidy and clean. The kitchen can be messy at times but that's usually down to a minority, which the staff are usually very quick to catch the people responsible by using the cameras. There's a couple of tv rooms and a movie room that are really good for relaxing.

Some of the other reviews have been quite negative about drinking and how loud people can be, which can be true at times (weekends) but if your not wanting to have fun or a quiet and no drinking environment then you shouldn't really be staying in a hostel, There's is lots of long termors who all work during the week so it is usually a lot quieter.

Overall if your wanting to meet some really nice people and are wanting to have a amazing time I think the OBB would be an amazing choice!!

• Stayed: May 2014
6  Thank Madden1988
Reviewed 20 May 2014

I spent over a year backpacking around and stayed in tons of hostels but never one as amazing as OBB. I met the most wonderful characters, both guests and staff and never felt so welcome and homely.
It's like living in a big house with all your friends!
There's a family vibe going on, everyone looks out for each other.
Yes I'm one of those terrible long termers that everyone else complained about.

Well let me say one thing;
If it's as bad as these people claim, why are there so many people staying there long term??

I was there long enough to see that many people return.

It has the best location, a wonderful beach so close.
Fantastic staff, helpful and looking out for you.
Nice rooms with an attached bathroom that are cleaned. Much love to the cleaners for the amount of sand they have to deal with, joys of the beach.
And brilliant guests, many are real mates that I still keep in touch with despite being back in the uk. I miss the ocean beach backpackers.

I recon if you are a backpacker you should give it a try, you'll love it.

I'm going back there soon

• Stayed: March 2014
4  Thank Danimccauley
Reviewed 20 May 2014

I wasn't sure what to expect when I came to Western Australia, whether I'd like it or just pass right through. The one thing that kept repeating in my head were the words from a traveling couple I'd met in Bondi Beach "Cottesloe Beach has this hostel right on the water that we stayed for months in, it was one of the greatest experiences of our trek around Australia, it was my first Hostel ever and it was amazing". That's a bit of a paraphrase of the conversation but needless to say I was twisted... I've learned to trust my gut in backpacking and roll with opportunities, but Bondi Beach was so awesome!! When I was offered a job in Perth working in the social sector on a set salary my mind was made up and I had a temporary place to try out, OBB!!!

When I arrived I was alone and feeling a bit out of place, which soon ended! My roommates invited me out to the courtyard for a few drinks (more than a few by the end) and I soon found myself incorporated into the OBB family. The has been many awesome people and a few not so awesome who have come and gone through the hostel and here I still am eight months later. Not out of a lack of options, but of a genuine love of the hostel and its pristine location on an iconic beach.
My girlfriend has since moved here from overseas and as she has never traveled or stayed in a hostel I booked us a private and planned on staying just a week longer and moving into a nearby apartment on the beach, which we could afford on my salary. She didn't want to she told me she loved the social environment and meeting people from all over the world, that she has never had this experience and she didn't want to end it yet. We've since moved back into my old dorm and my bed is beside the window with a full view of the ocean where we can fall asleep to the sound of the waves. Our room really is like a family, short term or long term you come into our dorm, you're part of this family.

You guys will hear reviews about how this hostel is loud and you'll never get any sleep, and people are always partying.... In so many ways those reviews are right. If you want dorms where lights are off at a set schedule, and quite time is enforced through strict staff members who do hourly checks, the military may be a better calling, or if not that than I guess the hotel next door is adequate.

The hostel here does weekly free BBQ for all of their guests, and I mean a proper awesome kebab on Wednesday! Not only that but they let you use the BBQ at our convenience, and trust me, we take full advantage, it's common to have groups organize proper BBQ nights.

The kitchen can get a bit messy but this is no fault of the hostel, its fellow backpackers! "What do you mean Mom's not here to do my dishes?" But guess what they get weeded out and spoken to by staff when CCTV is reviewed fairly quick. All pots and pans are provided, if they are not up to someones standard the IGA and woolworths up the street sells cheap pans you can keep in your room for about 12 bucks (beggars can't be choosers). All cutlery can be rented from the front desk and just turn it in when you leave to get a rebate.

There are three entertainment rooms, with one proper theater room! they are quick on uploading the new Game of thrones and the hostel will have groups vying for that room to watch new episodes, plus they have hundreds of other films on the hard drive. Sports are typically watched on the other TV's and every major playoff or final has had a group together for it for a proper BBQ and beers.

Away from home for the holidays? On Christmas the hostel shuts down the bar next door and does a private VIP event only for hostel guests where they supply free drinks (jungle juice!) and a massive Christmas feast!

I could just keep going on and on about this hostel, I know my time here will be winding down eventually but I can't thank the staff enough or the awesome guests that have really made this working Holiday spectacular, the fact that I will be here on a sponsorship and can come back to stay here is just the icing on the cake. Thank you OBB!!!

Room Tip: Just ask the front desk to place you in a laid back room. Trust me they know the rowdy ones. Vice Ve...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Stephen B
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Without doubt the best hostel i've stayed in. The staff are polite and personable, the rooms are clean and spacious, the residents are friendly and very welcoming.
Its a home for anyone and everyone; whether you want to have fun with the other residents in the courtyard or have some alone time and watch tv. Kitchen facilities are beautifully maintained and rooms are consistently cleaned.
On top of that its located 30 seconds (LITERALLY 30 SECONDS) from the beach and has an amazing burger joint attached to it.
Its a lot of fun and well worth a week or two stay...or a few months

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
5  Thank adam_otmani
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cottesloe
Ocean Beach Hotel
#1 of 2 in Cottesloe
Perth CBD
Billabong Backpackers Resort
The Cottesloe Beach Hotel
#2 of 2 in Cottesloe
Cottesloe Beach Chalets
#2 of 3 in Cottesloe

Been to Ocean Beach Backpackers? Share your experiences!