See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 1 January 2017 via mobile

Warm welcome from the owner on arrival, giving you a run down of the island, attractions and getting around the island etc. big thumbs up for this.

The units themselves are old and dated and probs my need a bit of money spent on them to bring them up to what most people expect nowerdays. The standard however is reflected in the price and represents still good value for money.

The only issue I had was with the shower. The owner is keen to point out it's not Town water and it's gravity fed but this really doesn't help in trying to have an ok shower in the morning...using a system that clearly is not at all fit for purpose. Be careful putting small children under the shower as it tends to go from cold to scolding hot and then back to cold. A bit of a disappointment.

Overall an ok stay.

Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 April 2016

The owner is extremely nice and friendly. She explained the rules(which is mostly common sense like wash the dishes after you use it,etc) and suggested the must visit place around the island and the easiest route to get there. The place has everything you need (plates, cups, toaster, kettle, fridge) and you can cook the bbq outside.

There was no office, just the key with your name attached to the front door which is ok.

There are a few negatives: The place use rainwater so the shower is a bit average and the pillows are so old, I need 3 to sleep on.

All in all, it was a pleasant stay.

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 January 2016

We really enjoyed the location, no traffic, plenty of birds, freedom to bring only our food, kitchen well-equipped. Warmly welcomed and a feeling of security while we went touring. Will stay again, thanks Kim & Ken.

• Stayed: January 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 November 2015

We had seen the west and was looking for some at this end central, & reasonable. We are here just to sleep ,relax in between our day trips. It's very clean ,cozy & central. Will ,would definitely recommend, & if you return , it will be here we stay again. Where still ,here, great to have local knowledge, Kim filled me in told me Wanderers Rest last night ,a great meal & venue,that was last night ,tonight:, the local community hall was open tonight to dine,have drinks,, so we went where the locals go. It was great, great feed ,people friendly ,nice (.Nice not to be ripped off).Thanks Kim & Ken.

Room Tip: Kim will take care of you
  • Stayed: November 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 May 2015

I chose American River for it's location. It's central yet close enough to every part of the Island. The accommodation here was perfect for me! Kim was most welcoming and helpful. The cabin had evertyhing needed. I rose with the sun and slept so well with only wild birdlife sounds to hear. The walks around the area are amazing. The showers were super hot and of course rain water has a lower pressure but that made me appreciate the value of it all the more. Kitchenette was spotless, huge fridge and cooking facilities. Perfect place. Thank you for a relaxing week.

Room Tip: It's a small personally run facility
  • Stayed: April 2015, travelled solo