All reviews kangaroo island pool view water pressure scallops black swans wine list studio room great place to stay excellent restaurant pleasant stay quiet location two nights reflections restaurant post office lovely room base to explore pelican feeding
Reviewed 26 March 2018

I stayed here on the 2nd night of a 2 day tour. The hotel is part of the Accor program, so if you are a member, make sure to get your points. The room itself was very large and my balcony gave me a view of the water. The bathroom was fine, don't expect a fancy hotel, given the limited amount and quality of the towels, but everything was very clean.

My tour package included a 3 course meal and it didn't disappoint. With scallops to start, a crab pasta for my entree and an incredible chocolate fondue with fruit and marshmallows, it was all great!

Breakfast was fine, ample with decent choices. An easy place to stay if you find yourself in the area!

Date of stay: February 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
James B, General Manager at Mercure Kangaroo Island Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2018

Dear Jill567,
Thank you for taking the time to review the Lodge. Also thank you for being a loyalty member!

So you are aware we are looking into the quality of our linen/towels and are heading towards a change in supplier.
I am delighted to here you enjoyed your dining experiences.
The staff and I look forward to welcoming you back one day in the near future.

Reviewed 21 March 2018

To get something good from a place YOU have bring something good! When we arrived it was "in tune" with the reception ladies - and that pleasant joking attitude would continue with most of the staff. Smiling people are my favorites.
The hotel was clean - efficient - served a bled of very good food and an EXCELLENT steak, trully exceptional.
They were helpful in telling were we could find Kangeroos in the early mornings - Wallabys in the evening etc. Trully enjoyable stay for us two.

Room tip: A view of the American River
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank doktorhuset
James B, General Manager at Mercure Kangaroo Island Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2018

Dear doktorhuset,
It brings us great pleasure to hear you enjoyed the hospitality and food variety we offer hear at the Lodge.
Also glad to hear you were able to see the local wildlife that Kangaroo Island is famous for.

We look forward to one day welcoming you back so you may enjoy food, wine and relaxing atmosphere here at the Island.
Thank you for your kind words and I will ensure all staff/chefs are aware they made a positive impact on your stay.

Reviewed 16 March 2018 via mobile

This is a very outdated hotel and needs a major refurbishment if it is to call itself 4 stars.
As for the dinner we had, well it certainly lacked substance.
Absolutely shocking waitress who failed to bring us any water throughout our whole meal, even after being promoted on two separate occasions.........she must still be in training.

Date of stay: March 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
James B, General Manager at Mercure Kangaroo Island Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2018

Hi Tom,
Thank you for taking the time to review The Lodge.
Your comments regarding the hotel being out dated and in need of refurbishment are noted.
We are looking at some soft refurb options during the quieter months.
There is ongoing training for all staff, and we will certainly address the order of service issues you had.
I am disappointed to hear you did not enjoy your dinner and that you were unable to express your concerns whilst at the lodge so I may have helped make your experience a great one.

I do hope we get the chance to one day welcome you back and exceed your expectations.

Reviewed 4 March 2018

A great place to stay on Kangaroo Island. Friendly, helpful service, good food breakfast and dinner, rooms are fine and lots of local wildlife to see. Ask about the local evening walk, to see wallabies, possums and etchinada

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
James B, General Manager at Mercure Kangaroo Island Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2018

Hi Geoff,
Thank you for taking the time to review Kangaroo Island Lodge Mercure.
It pleases me to hear you enjoyed your stay and were fortunate enough to see some of our marsupial friends!!!
We look forward to welcoming you back one day in the near future.

Reviewed 3 March 2018

Stayed 2 nights as part of tour group. Hotel has some decent public areas and restaurant but then it was all change for us – rooms in what resembled old holiday camp chalet blocks (although rooms spacious and comfortable and clean). We were told to pre order evening meal and we would eat sharp at 7! Shades of the 1950’s dictatorial seaside B &B landlady. To get to our eating area, best described as a communal canteen, was via the bar where you had to order and pay for drinks and meal before getting to the long tables. All very chaotic, time consuming unnecessary and not encouraging of a relaxing evening. The food by and large was not bad but was overpriced – but then there was nowhere else to go in the vicinity. Perhaps spying other non-tour guests in the a la carte restaurant did not help either!
The same eating set-up applied for breakfasts which were buffets of good quality (though would have liked availability of rolls as well as bread). Again we were segregated from other guests by our canteen area, and amusing to see some of them being hustled back to their restaurant tables.
The staff were very friendly and efficient, though especially at breakfast were a bit wrong footed by our early appearance but coped well. The hotel manager appeared to most of us to be quite disinterested in us as a group – perhaps lack of competition instils a “take what your offered” attitude which could not prevail on the mainland. While I appreciate that unlike the mainland most if not all guests will dine in, I think this hotel needs to seriously consider whether it has the ability to cater for large groups (does its occupancy rate plummet without tour groups?) and if so it needs to treat all guests equally and build in flexibility eg choice of a la carte or fixed menu and dining times.

Date of stay: January 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank Jodian

Dear Jodian,
Thank you for taking the time to review Kangaroo Island Lodge Mercure.
I am sorry you were not completely satisfied with your stay here as a part of your tour group.
The Lodge is obviously more of a boutique style property, however we do host many tour groups through out the year. I am sorry that you were not made to feel as important and as appreciated as you are being a guest at the Lodge, we seemed to have missed the mark.

We value all our guests, whether they are apart of a group or individual travellers. We have had many visits from large groups over past weeks all very happy with the unique history and quirky layout of the lodge. I am disappointed that your experience was not the same. Most of the groups we cater for all preselect their menu through their respected tour company, I can only assume this was the same for you. I will address the way we layout the dining area for our groups.

I would also like to personally apologise if you or any of you fellow travellers thought I was disinterested towards you as a group, this was certainly not disinterest. I have only recently joined the team here at Kangaroo Island and may have only been a couple of days into the job when you stayed. What was perceived as disinterest was probably nothing more than me orientating myself with the venue as a whole.

I again thank you for your feedback, and would love to one day welcome you back to the Lodge and exceed your expectations.