“My worst vacation in the South (however...)”
Review of TRYP Cayo Coco

TRYP Cayo Coco
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Cayo Coco
Oshawa, Canada
“My worst vacation in the South (however...)”
Reviewed 29 May 2012

This was my worst vacation in the South, however two in our group of three managed to enjoy at least part of the trip and disagree with my review.

The property is rather worn out. Leaky roofs everywhere: in our room, in the restaurant, in the lobby. Rain water makes pools on the walkways (and it rained a lot!). This may have contributed to the horrible smells in parts of the property. The area near the beach grill/bar stank of feces and a few other spots seemed to have rotting carcases just out of view.

Our room had no alarm clock, no coffee maker, and the TV remote would occasionally stop working. Like in most resorts, the matresses are too soft, which gave me a back pain.

Food is the same every day. Coffee seemed to be made out of dregs, and one afternoon they ran out of even that! When I asked for a scotch I was given something made in Brazil. Most drinks (even soft ones) are cheap knock-offs of the real stuff.

One day I saw a waiter not washing his hands after peeing, but rather going straight back to serving in the restaurant.

We went to Tryp Cayo Coco for the water sports and found they only had 3 Hobie 15 catamarans which had to be booked in advance, and were restricted to 30 min per day per room. Also they insisted to put a staff member onboard. We never sailed. Windsurfing: they had two boards, but only one sail (4.5 sq m). No motor boat for rescuing stranded windsurfers (happily enough I didn't need rescuing).

The price only seemed an advantage ($800 per person for a week in May, but I feel that was overpriced by $1,000.). What it means is you're in the resort with college kids who will get drunk and noisy and with families with 3+ kids who are noisy even when sober.

Whenever you want to buy something in the resort you must first exchange your cash into their silly currency, and they screw you on the rate. Expectedly, the rate is even worse at the airport.

Internet access is available at slower than dialup speeds. There is no wi-fi.

Two days into the week-long vacation I was ready to pay $500 to return to Toronto sooner - alas there were no seats to be had. That's just one reason why I'm never going to Cuba again: there's almost no way to get out of there earlier than initially scheduled.

Ontop of it all, it rained nonstop for three days, and with a few breaks on three more. True - the weather is outside anyone's control.

Of course, they blame it all on the US embargo, but let's be serious - it's a communist country.

The only good thing I was able to find was the fruit bar in the buffet restaurant, where they had some very nice local stuff.

The lesson I've learned is there's a good reason why it was only $800 per person (with flights from YYZ included). Next time I'm going South I'll know why I should be paying twice as much...

Room Tip: Go to a different resort. Avoid the cheap ones.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
6 Thank hobiefan
ManagerTrypCayoCoco, Director General at TRYP Cayo Coco, responded to this review, 30 May 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you first of all but we sincerely consider you were not well informed about the country you will be visiting. Next time, as you say that you have learned the lesson, get better information about the the place you will visit and the services that will be provided for what you have paid. We sincerely consider your comments very exaggerated and disrespectful. Anyway all our guest comments are good opportunities for our job, yours as well.

Tryp Cayo Coco Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,336)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 28 May 2012

This was my 6th trip to Cuba and first time in Tryp Cayo Coco hotel. Alberto Jerez and Ricardo went out of the way to ensure my stay there was more then perfect and from now on this will be the only hotel in Cuba I will go to in Cuba (as long as it stays under same management). Through out the all day, you can see Alberto (director) everywhere checking that all is in order and guests are satisfied and it shows (Tums UP!!!!). Rooms are clean, buffet excellent, big selection of dishes to choose from and all ala card restaurants are great too. Simply the best and would recommend to every one.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
7 Thank Majiska
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your time to write your comments here. It is nice to know that your first time here was excellent and that you recommend us. Hope to see you here once again and very soon.

montreal
Reviewed 28 May 2012

This was my third visit to Tryp. Unfortunately the weather was mostly rain but I had a great time anyway. The entertainment staff worked so hard to keep everyone happy. Felix was awesome. Tried the Zumba and had fun. Bring running shoes. Some changes were made from my last visit and Alberto was hard at work as usual making sure things were running smoothly. Food was good, drinks were good, beach is beautiful and staff kind and courteous. Menus have changed since last year. My favourite was the BBQ and my least favourite was the Cuban. The rest was very good. Oriental has a better menu this time around. Great Pizza on the beach and the bar and grill had a great lunch menu. Made new friends and had a great time. The bar between the Italian and Oriental restaurants made the best drinks. Try the Harry Potter. Yum!
The rooms need work for sure but I wasn't in it that much. If the rooms were renovated it would be a true 4.5 star. That was the only thing that truly bothered me. Thank you to Ricardo, Jorge, Gelly, Sailly, Fiz, Felix and so many others for being so wonderful. Thank you Alberto for making the much needed changes. It made a difference.
The only thing missing was the SUN.

Room Tip: Building 10 is quiet and near both the beach and the quiet pool.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank sk8pro
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your comments here once again. It is very nice for us to know that you enjoyed one more time even though the rains. Hope to see you again. You will be always welcome back.

Laval, Canada
Reviewed 28 May 2012

This was my first trip to the Tryp Cayo Coco and it was wonderful! I have been to Cayo Coco and Varadero in different hotels and the Tryp is well above the rest!! The food is excellent with alot of choice. I was very pleasantly surprised, since in Cuba we do not expect very good food.... but Tryp Cayo Coco was wonderful! The staff are always ready to please and the site is beautiful! I would go back in a heart beat and strongly recommend this hotel to all sorts of guests... families, singles and solo travellers. I would like to mention the exemplery work and dedication of Alexander in the International restaurant, Dailyn in the hair salon, always ready to accomadate and please the customer and Angel, a dancer who is always very friendly and helpful for those of us who cannot dance merengue but would like to learn!! Great night-nime shows! Bravo to all the staff at Tryp!!! Thank you for a wonderful and memorable trip!

Room Tip: My room was in complex #6, right by the pool. the noise was minimal and I was not disturbed once. Th...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank NatashaR450
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed 27 May 2012

Let's start with Alberto Jerez (Director, General Manager ) Thankyou! You went out of you way beyond my expectation's to make our vacation as stress free and comfortable as possible. As the owner of a Restaurant and trying to please everyone ALL the time is daunting and demanding 24/7. If people could just keep in mind you in another country with a different culture totally from our own and relax , enjoy, and explore all what the island and hospitable people of Cuba have too offer you! Don't sweat the small things ! Relax! Your on Vacation! Ask if you need something? Don't like some of the food? It's All Inclusive-Try something else! You won't starve at this resort! The food here is well beyond most other resorts in Cuba! Our room was more than adequate and cleaned daily by the sweetest housekeeping lady that made sure all our Hotel Room needs were met Daily! Again , just ask Nicely if you need something! I don't think The word No is in their vocabulary! My daughter and myself work full-time for the Hospitals and so many of us travel to this resort because of the way the staff here treat all of us like family , not just guests visiting from another Country.
Again Thankyou! It might of rained all week and Mother Nature was not so kind , but Alberto and his Staff at Tryp Cayo Coco warmed us with their smiles leaving us happy and relaxed,and that's just what we came here for and thats what we got! Can't wait to come back , and I wish I could return the Hospitality too you all here, as my guests sometime to show my appreciation in the future.
Best Regards my Friends of Cuba
Ms. Deborah Hill & Nicole Hill
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

Room Tip: We asked for block 7 overlooking the pool with a partial ocean view. We enjoy watching the fun at th...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank dvhvacations
ManagerTrypCayoCoco, Director General at TRYP Cayo Coco, responded to this review, 28 May 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your comments. They are very nice and helpful. Hope to meet you here again. It will be always a pleasure to see you here.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cayo Coco
1.7 km away
Sol Cayo Coco
Sol Cayo Coco
#3 of 12 in Cayo Coco

Been to TRYP Cayo Coco? Share your experiences!