“Fantastic hotel, great staff. ”
Review of The Stanneylands

The Stanneylands
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Wilmslow
Reviewed 25 July 2017 via mobile

We returned to Stanneylands for our wedding anniversary having had our wedding reception there 10yrs ago. The hotel had changed hands and had been refurbished.
The staff were friendly and attentive with a special mention going to the young receptionist who upon finding out it was our anniversary, ensured all of the staff looked after us for the entire weekend.
We had a meal in the grill on the Friday evening, the food was fantastic and again the staff were great.
One slight hiccup was that a false fire alarm sounded three times between 0700 and 0830 on Saturday morning. Clearly this was beyond the hotels control but no explanation was offered or provided.
On Saturday we had lunch in the Pantry. We were sat by the window and the staff congratulated us on our 10 years together. Both my wife and I had a light lunch. It was more of the same great food.
Upon returning to our room late afternoon there was a complimentary bottle of wine and some chocolates awaiting us with a note from the staff. (I know that this was arranged by the young receptionist)

In summary, The hotel itself is fantastic, the staff were amazing especially the young receptionist and a member of the bar staff whom looked after us all weekend. The food was beautifully presented and very good and nothing was too much trouble. Thank you Stanneylands you made our 10th anniversary one to remember.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Stanneylands, Guest Relations Manager at The Stanneylands, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2017

Dear Sean,

Thank you for coming back after 10 long years apart from The Stanneylands!

It is so rewarding to hear that they team went above and beyond to make sure you and your wife were provided with a memorable experience. Thank you for the special mention of our receptionist, I will personally make sure she is rewarded for this!

Our guest journeys are incredibly important to us therefore thank you so much for providing us with your feedback, the team is going from strength to strength.

We hope to welcome you back soon- hopefully sooner then 10 years!

Best wishes,

There are newer reviews for The Stanneylands

Reviewed 25 July 2017

My stay was part of a business meeting, great facilities and food during our stay here, fabulous cocktail making experience also with the management team. The refurbishment has been done to a high standard and we would stay again.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at The Stanneylands.

It is delightful to read that you enjoyed yourself- especially your cocktail making experience!

We look forward to your return visit.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed 24 July 2017

I very much enjoyed my stay at the Stanneylands. The hotel staff was very professional and courteous. My room was very comfortable and clean. The hotel is located within walking distance to Wimslow Shopping District and a short cab ride to the airport. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Guest,

Thank you for reviewing your stay at The Stanneylands.

Your glowing review and recommendation means the world to us and your kind words will be shared amongst the team.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

Many thanks,

Reviewed 23 July 2017

The Stanneylands is a lovely boutique hotel that looks as beautiful on the inside as it does on the outside. But that's amongst the very few positive things I've got to say about it. Yes, it's pretty. Yes, the bed was comfortable. Yes, the check-in lady smiled and was polite.

BUT... She also put a stop on a ridiculous amount on my card for things I might consume while I'm there. She didn't offer to help with the bags, nor did she call someone to do it, so we ended up carrying our suitcases on a fairly narrow staircase on our own. I'm glad I read the reviews prior to arriving and learned that dropping off the bags should be done before parking, as there is a good distance between said two points - and it's uphill, too!

The room looked lovely - high windows, large bed, an obscenely huge TV. The bathroom was small and not as clean as I would've liked. Though recently renovated, one can easily conclude that the renovation was purely cosmetic and that the lion's share of its budget was not allocated to the beautification of the bathroom. I found the water pressure to be lacking, and the bathroom fixtures much too plain for a boutique hotel that charges as such.

But the worst thing was that on the second evening, just as we were returning from a long day and looking forward to unwinding in our nice, expensive room, they cut off the electricity for the night. That's right, on Monday evening, they decided to carry on maintenance works in the electrical system. Don't believe me? Check out the attached picture.

So, did they offer me a discount for the inconvenience? Not really. In fact, the next day when we checked out, we were made to pay full price for the two rooms we rented for two nights - and that was aside from the money they'd put a stop on on my card, which - admittedly - they claimed they wouldn't cash. All in all, this was a ridiculously expensive stay at a substandard place in the middle of nowhere.

And FIY, they don't believe in minibars either. They just charge for a fully outfitted boutique room.

Room Tip: Pack lightly, as you will be made to carry your own stuff.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Ramona W
Stanneylands, General Manager at The Stanneylands, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2017

Dear Ramona,

Thank you for sharing your experience, it was a pleasure welcoming you to The Stanneylands.

However, we deeply regret having failed to meet your expectations specially due to the electricity issue on one of the nights. This was not a planned maintenance from the hotel, but rather an emergency service that had to be done by the energy supplier. Sadly we could not have anticipated and truthfully did the best we could under the circumstances and short notice we were also given.

As for the pre-authorization standard procedure, it is required for the room rate plus £50 per day so you can charge any meals or extras to your bedroom. The amount is released on departure should it not be used. We also thank you for the suggestions on the bathroom and mini bar.

We appreciate the impact the energy incident would have had on your stay and hope you will give us the opportunity to welcome you again to provide a more enjoyable experience.

Kind regards

Carina Martins

Reviewed 20 July 2017

Having eagerly awaited the reopening of the old Stanneylands Hotel and now experienced it, we were most certainly not disappointed.

About one year ago the hotel was bought out by the very successful business partnership of Mark Bowler and Gary Corbett, who have a top reputation in hospitality management and fresh initiatives. It has to be said yet again another outstanding success to produce a totally different experience.at the Stanneylands.

With almost £1.8 million investment, re-branding and new management resulting in one of the most enjoyable fresco drinking and dining establishments in Cheshire and the North West.

My wife and I dined there last night for the first time since the reopening in April and the whole experience can be summed up in two words "total excellence"!

We arrived at 6.30 to dine at 7.00 pm, so we could have a good look around at all the new changes. Firstly we were most professionally and warmly welcomed with a lovely smile and greeting by the girls on reception. It has to be said that immediately the front of house staff went out of their way to be helpful and personally showed us to the main bar next to where we were dining.

We ordered our drinks and they were brought to us personally in the lounge area.
A totally relaxed atmosphere where nothing was too much for the staff. We then had a good look around at all the changes.The whole place has been totally refurbished to the very highest standards possible. With an eye for detail and those small touches which are so important to the customer, where nothing has been left to chance. This of course directly reflects the reputation of the Mark Bowler and Geoff Corbett the new owners, where everything is to the very highest standards possible.

As it was our wedding anniversary we dined in the more formal restaurant "The Grill Room", but there are also two other restaurants "The Tap & Pantry" and of course "The Parlour" which is for drinks and daytime dining.

The theme of the whole building and décor is based on "the very best of British". From the original wooden panelling, beautiful furnishing and very tasteful art work to reflect this stunning historic mansion house.

We were greeted in the lounge by our waitress for the evening, once again in a very friendly and professional manner. She brought us to our table and personally ran through the various options available. Once again in a very professional but totally friendly and relaxed manner.

There then arrived a complementary basket of Yorkshire smoked rapeseed oil bread and handmade butter, we were then also served our wine and water.

Our meal arrived soon after and here again the presentation of the food and the standard was of the very highest level.

As a starter my wife decided on Western Isles scallops, warm tomato, black pudding and crispy bacon crumble. From my part I went for the smoked duck with asparagus salad and Clementine dressing. For the main course my wife had the sea bream fish with vegetables and trimmings and I had the 8 oz fillet steak, grill garnish, hand cut chips and peppercorn sauce. Finally sticky toffee pudding and caramel vanilla clotted ice cream with a good glass of red wine to wash it all down. All totally delicious and cooked by the chef to perfection, who could ask for more!

We then left the restaurant, had a nice chat with our waitress having had a truly lovely anniversary meal in what must be said is one of the very best establishments I have ever had the pleasure to dine.

Oh by the way one really nice touch before I finish was the General Manager Carina Martins came down at the end of a long day (8.30/9.00pm) to actually talk with each guest in the restaurant individually and ensure they enjoyed their meal. Now that's what I mean by perfection and total dedication. I didn't even get that sort of service when I stayed at the Dorchester in London and to think this is a four star establishment. But I have got a funny feeling five star is just around the corner.

So my advice is if you are local and want a lovely evening and meal, or say an American tourist and want to experience "The very best of British" cooking and hospitality then look no further. Remember "The Stanneylands" is only ten minutes by car from Manchester International Airport and it has 52 beautifully refurbished bedrooms available.

Thanks Carina for a lovely evening Ted Comiskey (retired Managing Director).

Room Tip: These people really take great pride in all the services they supply and nothing is too much, so ple...
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Stanneylands, General Manager at The Stanneylands, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2017

Dear Mr. Comiskey,

Thank you for your detailed review of your dining experience at The Stanneylands.

After speaking with you, it is wonderful to know how loyal you are to us and it has been great getting to know you.

Please do contact me directly when you come to visit us again soon, I will as always love to come and say hello!

I hope you are enjoying your Summer!

Best Wishes,
Carina Martins

Also consider these accommodations in or near Wilmslow
4.9 km away
Mottram Hall
#1 of 1 in Mottram St. Andrew
0.9 km away
Premier Inn Manchester (Handforth) Hotel

Been to The Stanneylands? Share your experiences!