All reviews fresh milk log cabin separate bathroom memory foam tea and coffee dave butter lodge tv mattresses wedding
Reviewed 9 December 2014

It was near freezing temperatures the night I arrived and they put me in a room in a wood hut outside, which in the summer may have been very lovely as it was by the pool, but not suitable in the winter as the little electric heater could not keep the little wood hut with thin walls and no insulation warm. I desperately needed an internet connection as I was travelling to Oxfordshire for work and their information in the hut was out of date (BT Hub 1s have not been in use for years and I know this as I have a friend who works for BT) and their passwords for other networks in the area did not work which meant I could not prepare anything for work the following day. At least the room was clean and the shower was working and they had hot water. Make sure you take our own breakfast with you as they supply white bread, margarine and a few teas for breakfast in the room only.

If you are looking for a break away from everything in the Summer I'm sure it could be very nice as the area is quite beautiful but I do not recommend staying there in the winter and if you need stay over somewhere before going to work the next day avoid this BnB. They need to update their website as their photos and pictures of breakfast do not represent reality and all rooms do not have internet access.

Room Tip: If they say they have 'upgraded your room' to the pretty little wood hut by the pool in the winter do not accept it. Again I'm sure it could be lovely in the Summer but it is not fit for purpose in the winter.
  • Stayed: December 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 November 2014

I booked this accommodation as came very local to a friends, having a party. I was offered a lodge at a reasonable rate so took it. The lodge is behind the main building and is a wooden cabin, with kitchenette and separate bathroom. Very nice and modern, and comfortable.

Check in was efficient, by phoning a local contact, who showed me the cabin, after a short wait.

The cabin could do with better heating when its cold outside, as the electric radiator wasn;t so effective.

Breakfast..... Now this is where it differs from a traditional B&B, there is no full English on offer, so the website picture is a little misleading. There is a fridge in your own kitchenette, with jams, marmalade, butter, and a loaf of bread, and plenty of tea/coffee and milk. This gives the flexibility of drinks, and snacks at any time, as well as topping up your breakfast by bringing your own bacon/sausage/egg etc.

Not a bad thing, just different.

• Stayed: November 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 October 2014

We had a friend's party up the road so chose Southern Wood based on location and it turned out very well. Bed was comfortable and room quite large and well equipped. Shower was great.

Toilet had flushing issues so had to take lid off and pull the chain by hand.

Making our own breakfast was pretty good since it gave us a lie-in on the Sunday, though was a bit different from normal B&B stays where I love a cooked breakfast. Will know for next time anyway. Confirm the price when booking as the website prices aren't what we ended up paying.

Overall it suited us for a night within walking distance of our destination and we slept well. We would be back if we need to go to the same place again in Didcot.

• Stayed: October 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 October 2014

I spent a night in one of the lovely little wooden houses that the B&B has to offer, needless to say I was pleasantly surprised about the accommodation. Everything seemed newly refurbished, clean and tidy. Some refreshments already awaited in the fridge and the cabin was preheated upon arrival so it was nice and toasty, everything still smelled of wood. Dave, the owner of the business, was warm and accommodating, even (literally) went the extra mile to drop me off at the train station the next morning! I will definitely recommend Southern Wood to my friends and anyone who asks! Good luck with your B&B!

• Stayed: October 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 September 2014 via mobile

Just returned from an overnight stay at this B&B.
Dave the host was welcoming and accommodating and allowed us to feel at home.
The room had everything in it. A sofa area with tv a comfy bed and unlimited hot drinks with fresh milk in the fridge (so much nicer than rationing sachets!). Breakfast was a do it yourself affair but this let us enjoy a lazy morning!
Thank you.