All reviews pool area tuesdays and thursdays sea view lovely hotel salad german guests soft drinks animation team on tap great holiday evening entertainment bar staff every night cleaned times a week pool was cold parrot show english food
Reviewed 10 September 2017

We stayed for two weeks at the end of August during the summer Holidays. My two sons age 9 and 6 had a great time and would love to return.

Location
Is really good. The beach immediately outside the hotel is shingle / rockpool which we enjoyed exploring. Just 1 minute walk to the left is the blue flag sandy beach of Sa Coma and a few minutes walk to the right is the sandy beach of S'illot.
Sa Coma beach has paragliding, pedalos and a banana boat. The banana boat was 10 euros per person for 10 minutes (no age restriction) which my boys loved.
The sight seeing glass bottom boats also go from here. We did the 2.5 hours "family trip" to Porto Christo which includes a stop at sea for you to use the slides to go straight into the sea. Again a big hit with my children. It was about 70 euros for a family ticket.

Every night there are a number of different stalls along the promenade and every Wednesday night is a street market selling the usual touristy things. There are also family pedal cars to hire and mini electric cars for the children (not cheap at 10 euros each for 30 minutes - but very popular with the children.)

Hotel Staff
All the staff were very friendly and nothing was too much trouble. the kids club staff worked very hard and had a great rapport with the kids. The kids club is not the type where you can drop the children off and get them later, you do have to be around but they do lots of different activities with the children on the half hours and they can join in as much as they want.

Rooms
The rooms are spacious, but not much storage, just one wardrobe with some shelves. The hotel has obviously been recently "refreshed" but this means the "apartments" no longer have dining /kitchen areas in as the photos portray. There is a full sized fridge and tea and coffee making facilities.
The rooms and communal areas were kept very clean. Housekeeping comes 5 days out of 7 to the room and they have a whole team of cleaners every morning to clear up the entertainment space from the night before.

Noise and entertainment
The entertainment is LOUD and there is no soundproofing to the rooms. The entertainment goes on until approx 11:30pmish. The first few nights we had to stay up until the entertainment had finished because it was too loud for my children to sleep through. By about night 4 they were so tired that we could put them to bed at 9:30pm and they slept through it and my husband and I took ear plugs based on other reviews and i'm glad we did. Obviously not a problem if you plan to stay up until after 11:30pm each night.

The hotel has some external entertainment come in such as singers, a reptile / parrot show and flamenco dancers. On the other evenings the kids club reps run the entertainment and it is fairly basic but they do try hard! They have a childrens mini disco every night at 8:30pm which is in a mixture of English and German and by the end of the fortnight my sons were singing along happily to the German songs!

Other holiday makers
I think about half the guests are German, a quarter British and a quarter other nationalities. I quite liked not being in "little England abroad" and all the guests were polite and friendly. As is often the way we found that all the German guests spoke good English so there was no communication problems.

I thought the food was good quality and lots of it. A carvery choice every night (usually pork or beef), lots of fish dishes, always chips, pizzas, nuggets etc for the children as well as "recognisable" vegetables that my children will eat like broccoli , carrots and beans as well as more typical spanish food. Some days had excellent food choices other days were more hit and miss but we always found something we liked and there was plenty of fresh fruit every day.
The drinks were easily available with beer, wine and fizzy drinks on tap to help yourself. Spirits you had to ask for at the bar. My children don't drink fizzy drinks but they had fruit juices and a slushy machine that they could ask at the bar for, and the bar staff were very friendly.

Pool
The pool was bigger than I was expecting and very deep. There is a small toddler area but I was glad my two children can swim well as there was no real "shallow" end in the big pool. Lilos / floats etc are all the rage and we bought a couple from the local spa shop for about 8 euros each. There is a free air pump at the complex gate so your don't have to blow them up yourself.
The Pool looked relatively clean whilst we were there but I do agree that the water turns white swimming costumes yellow. It is because non-british guests favour the brown oil based (Hawaiian tropic) suntan oils rather than the white suntan creams that the British tend to use and this obviously gets in the pool. Not sure what the hotel can do about it really?
We had no problem getting sunbeds and this was in the school summer holidays. Some people did start to reserve sunbeds from about 7am onwards but I noted that there were some still free about 10am. It is annoying to see a whole raft of them reserved all day though and never used.

Other things to do in Sa Coma

There is a free bus (10 minute drive) to the safari zoo. Entrance fee is 19 euros for adults and 14 euros for children. It is a little gem, as long as you are at peace with lions etc being in captivity. In the safari ride the driver stops for you to hand feed the giraffes / antelopes / monkeys etc and the children loved this. Then when you get to the zoo there is a lion, elephants, parrots etc and a great play park.

There is also a hotel Globalles Bourganvilla on the outskirts of Sa Coma that has a small waterpark and they do day passes. BUT its 55 euros per adult and 45 euros per child, so we had to disappoint our children and say that we would not pay 200 euros for a day at a water park! They try to justify the price by saying that it is all inclusive food and drink whilst you are there, but even so I think far too expensive for what it is - they obviously don't really want outside visitors.

We hired mountain bikes (and bike hats) from a local hire centre. These were only 6 euros per bike for 2 hours and was something a bit different to do.

There is also a very old castle at the nature reserve which was about 1.5 miles from the hotel which is worth a look. They run horse and trap rides up to the castle if you don't want to walk it or have small children who can't do the distance.

We really enjoyed our holiday and would return to Sa Coma and to this hotel.

Room tip: Obviously the higher up floors have a better sea view, but all rooms do have a sea view.
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
4  Thank mrsw00
Reviewed 3 September 2017

Very clean and modern hotel with a great location and very friendly bar staff, with a special mention to Ishmael. The children entertainers also work very hard all day. Be warned that during the peak season we had to be up early to get sunbeds (7:30 - 8:00) the only negative for us was that the food was not the best with a few evenings where there was nothing we could eat and had to go out for a meal.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Alpharooms
5  Thank darren t
Reviewed 28 August 2017 via mobile

Just returned from a weeks ai. We were given key to our room 117 which was situated over reception. The balcony and room had no privacy from neighbours not even a wall or railings and could see directly into our room. There are no drawers where you can put personal things in, just 3 shelves in wardrobe. Hanging space was limited so my grandson ended up living out of a suitcase. Rooms were cleaned 5 days out of 7. Maids did a reasonable job. Food was very very poor. Not only by choice but quality too. Hardly anything to eat for children. Staff were very friendly especially the older of the waiters. He took a liking to my grandson and would make him feel welcome. Entertainment was the worst I've seen in all my holiday visits for 40 years. Pool area was disgustingly dirty. Spilt drinks were by the lounger for the 7 days and not scrubbed once, resulting in stinking sticky dirty feet. As for the pool, there was yellow scum floating in the pool which looked like vomit for days and the sides of pool a thick scum ring around the edge. A few people reported it to reception and was told it was from sun cream and the wind. Maintainance just scooped it up with a net and emptied on grass by side of pool. I just came back from windy Lanzarote and never once in my holidays ever seen anything. So bad. If you wear anything light coloured in the pool be prepared to throw it away as everything turns yellow. Do know what they are using in the pools but need to sort out. This holiday cost us £2100 for 3 and we feel totally ripped off. This should be classed as 2* at the most. The hotels position is the best in the centre of sa coma and sillot.

Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank valleygirlMerthyr
Reviewed 25 August 2017 via mobile

Just got back yesterday from a weeks stay at this hotel. We arrived at this hotel at 2am to be greeted by a grumpy receptionist telling us the hotel is fully booked and there is no record of us, even though I had all the relevant paperwork. After half hour he gave us an empty room ( I thought it was fully booked) !!!!. The room was big and modern and the beds were comfortable with a good size balcony that overlooked the pool and sea. The hotel is situated in a lovely area . 2 beaches either side lots of little bars and restaurants and shops. The pool was lovely , bit cold but needed on as some days it was sweltering heat. There was a few machines for kids to play. The hotel is mainly foreign people Germans especially, not a problem for us but if you like making friends with other families, forget it here they wouldn't even smile at you let alone speak. The Indian kids entertainer was very funny as was the barman Ismael always cracking jokes when you went for a drink. The drinks were ok.

I will never return to this hotel though as the food is disgusting. I'm not fussy believe me. I'm 17 stone and love any sort of food but this was inedible . My partner was heaving one day from the Smell in there. We ended up eating out for every meal. Not good when we paid for all inclusive. I do all inclusive every year and accept the food is never the best but this was a joke.
The entertainment is embarrassingly shocking I felt sorry for people having to watch it . Miss dorada what a joke act. Popping balloons with your bum. Variety show was so poorly organised I was laughing in embarrassment I just didn't know what was going on. No one was listening . I was watching the entertainment in the next hotel.
The cleaners I wouldn't pay in peanuts. I deliberately left a glass on the side in clear view and it stayed for whole week. Our feet were black from where they never mopped. Towels were taken off the floor and just rehung on the side not changed.
Sitting by the pool on chairs because I refused to get up at 7 for one of the limited sun beds listening to the same 5 songs on repeat over and over . I was just so bored with this hotel.
We spoke to a restaurant owner about the hotel and apparently it's known as one of the worst hotels in the area. Oh well you live and learn

You've been warned

Reviewed 24 August 2017 via mobile

We arrived at 11pm on the night and there was nothing to eat, all 4 of us hungry after a 6 hour delay.
Room was clean and views are amazing, but one wardrobe for a family of 4 was ridiculous especially as the apartment was spacious with separate bedroom, could of easily had some cupboards put in the main living area, we ended up leaving clothes in suitcases.

Food was ok some days but by the end of the week it was terrible, our girls where having chips at dinner and tea as they couldn't find anything they liked. We ate out one night just so the girls had something.
If you want sun beds then yes you had to get up early if you want a decent spot, which is a pain when you come on holiday to relax but have to get up early.
Entertainment is rubbish, but Ben and the team do work hard and interact with everyone, they are a credit to the hotel.

We won't be returning. Sorry.

Trip type: Travelled with family