“FAR BETTER THAN ITS THREE STAR RATING”
Review of Platja d'Or

Platja d'Or
Ranked #16 of 50 Hotels in Port d'Alcudia
Reviewed 27 October 2017

Good relaxing holiday. The Platja d’Or is used by Tui for people combining cruises with hotel stays as well as those on hotel only holidays. Hotel is a bit dated but comfortable and very clean. All marble and wood. Rooms a little on the small size but included a fridge and reasonable storage space. Had a disabled room, which was an advantage because we had a walk-in shower, whereas the standard rooms had a bath. We had a pool view room with a good balcony view of proceedings.

Food, drink and service were all excellent and more than we expected considering it is classed as a three star hotel. Seemed to cater for the British palate with things like steak and Guinness pie, roast lamb and mint sauce, and apple crumble and custard. Also Spanish food selection. Excellent range of drinks including Cava at most meals. The bar also provides a sandwich service when the dining room is not open during the day.

Quite a distance outside Alcudia, but taxis are cheap and there is a local bus stop nearby. A large supermarket (which has its own bar) and a few bars are within five minutes walk. Just in front of the hotel entrance is a private wooded area which you walk through to Alcudia beach - stunning.

Evening entertainment was a bit hit and miss, but the other guests were a very friendly, happy and open bunch and that helped us to unwind and have many enjoyable evenings.
Ages of holiday makers ranged from those in their twenties to the more mature customers.

The staff in all departments of this hotel were exceptional. They all work extremely hard to ensure their guests have an enjoyable and stress free holiday. I am aware that hotel grading in Spain includes things like the size of the room and other facilities, but as far as the staff, food, drink and services provided this is a five star establishment, and the management should be very proud of them.

We had a holiday in a four star Platinum hotel in Es Cana, Ibiza, in August which was a big disappointment. The Platja d”Or exceeded our expectations and made up for our disappointment of the August holiday.

Room Tip: Pool view gives you afternoon sun
7  Thank egretclan
Write a ReviewReviews (1,615)

Reviewed 26 October 2017

This was my first visit to this hotel, which came highly recommended by a relative that goes very year. Firstly the reception staff were helpful when booking in and accommodating our request for a room overlooking the beach, which is a short distance, via the hotel's private walkway. Rooms were nice, beds were twin pushed together, not ideal, but I suppose efficient for hotel purposes; they were exceptionally clean and tended to daily. Walls are thin and you can almost hear the neighbours turning over in their beds. No kettle, however, I found no need because the bar was open to serve tea, coffee etc. This was an all inclusive holiday and could be overwhelming if you did not restrain yourself. The bar was open mostly all day for unlimited cocktails and local wine spirits, always provided by excellent bar staff - how they managed to keep smiling and being polite all day was a credit to the place. I have never seen such hardworking staff. Indeed the same could be said for the restaurant staff who were so polite and friendly. Food was a gastronomic delight, especially if you like fish and meat. I did find it hard on some occasions to find vegetarian food and to be honest some things that looked it, ie chickpea soup, had bacon in it. I had a word with the restaurant manager and he tried to be helpful and a few dishes seemed to appear on the menu for the week I was there. It would have been more helpful if all the food was clearly labelled as only certain dishes were.
Desserts were plentiful and delicious. Entertainment was a bit hit and miss, however, all the shows were very entertaining which we attended. Swimming pool very nice - take insect repellent for the afternoon when you tend to get bitten especially in the garden area. This hotel offered and great relaxing holiday. The staff, especially those manning the bar were brilliant. It was a great holiday, exceptionally good value at this time of year, for all you get and I hope to return next year.

Room Tip: Some rooms overlook the beach area and water, which is on the quieter side
1  Thank beaniebaby2012
Reviewed 25 October 2017

My husband and I spent a week here during early October. He's in his early 50's, I'm 40. We found the staff to be extremely helpful and the other guests to be equally lovely. I'm struggling to fault our stay.

Rooms:
Although not huge, they were comfortable. The bed is a little on the hard side but didn't affect my sleep. The balcony was big enough to sit out on and the TV worked fine. We also had Wi-Fi in our room which was great. My biggest criticism was the bathroom door. This was made of glass and didn't close, which for me, I didn't enjoy. I like my privacy when I'm in the bathroom. If they ever do a refurb, I'd recommend fitting some normal doors, ones you can close.

Not an issue for us but if you do book, you may want to bring a travel kettle as there is no kettle in the room. Lastly, I should add that the walls were quite thin. If you're a light sleeper, take some earplugs.

Bar:
Large selection of local spirits, wines and beer. I had no complaints. I didn't expect brands etc. as it was a fairly cheap all-inclusive holiday. I still have no idea how they made any money out of us at just over £300 per person with flights, transfers, room, all our food and all our drink. I can see why they don't offer table service on those rates. The cocktails were lovely too and part of the all inclusive. The bar staff couldn't work any harder.

Food:
There was enough variety to keep most people happy in my opinion. As someone who doesn't eat meat, I was thrilled to see a lentil pie on offer one night. They always had pizzas and there was a paella most nights. For meat and fish eaters, there was always something being freshly grilled or carved - chops, fish, beef. The chefs and dining staff were lovely too.

Tip: You can also eat outside. If you go to the end of the restaurant, there are doors leading out to the outdoor dining tables. The buffet was plentiful with salads, vegetables and potatoes to accompany your meal. The desserts were nice too. Every night, there were three choices of ice cream and everything from apple crumble to trifle appeared on the buffet at some point. Or, there were cheese and biscuits for those with a more savoury palate.

Reception:
Again, the staff were polite, helpful and friendly.

Entertainment:
We didn't really take part so I can't really comment on this. I suppose it was regular holiday park style entertainment from what I heard on the ABBA night. It sounded amusing enough but it wasn't really our thing. There is a theatre/cabaret type room with chairs facing the stage and tables in front of the chairs. It seemed to be full most nights. We tended to go out walking.

Rep:
Our rep was helpful and polite. I'd lost faith in Thomson after a disaster holiday last year and she was a good representative of the company. They should give her a pay rise.

Location:
Perfect. It's a lovely walk to Alcudia port, along the gorgeous sandy beach. There's a supermarket right behind the hotel and a lovely lake to walk around.

Cleanliness:
very clean everywhere. The room cleaning staff were always friendly too. The communal areas sparkled and the restaurant was pristine. I'm a stickler for watching people breaking food hygiene rules but I didn't spot anyone here - bonus, because I normally do.

Other:
No fault of the hotel's but the area is by a large lake. There are lots of mosquitos. Take plenty of bug repellent and use it all the time.
Take a beach/pool towel as these are not supplied by the hotel - again, I can't blame them for the price they charge.
If you need a cuppa in your room, pack a travel kettle.
As it's adults only, it's lovely and peaceful - except when the entertainment is on.

Conclusion:
Would we go again? Definitely. We had a fab time and loved the staff and guests. Just please put some doors on the bathrooms. Thank you.

Room Tip: For a quieter experience, ask for a room facing the sea's direction.
5  Thank carla b
Reviewed 24 October 2017

This is our 4th visit in 3 years I think that shows how much we enjoy this idyllic spot.
Fantastic staff cleanliness and one of the best beaches in the world make this an experience we enjoy repeating. Food always plentiful and good quality, but this visit menu was a little more adventurous than previous visits, but still very enjoyable. Adult only status at this hotel is also a massive bonus for us we love our grandchildren but it's nice to get away sometimes. Will probably return next September but not planned as yet.

Room Tip: If you like Sun on the balcony in the afternoon choose Mountain view.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Margaret G
Reviewed 23 October 2017

Nice hotel very nice food great staff but the hotel needs spraying to kill off the swarms of mosquitos got bit in the room ,restuarant , lift, by the pool, in reception,at the bar .rooms need up dating and the rep at the hotel was useless

Room Tip: Get a sea view
Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Valerie M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Port d'Alcudia
1.3 km away
Globales Santa Lucia
#19 of 38 in Palmanova
7.6 km away
Petit Hotel Hostatgeria La Victoria
Petit Hotel Hostatgeria La Victo...
#41 of 50 in Port d'Alcudia
0.4 km away
Hotel Condesa de la Bahia
Hotel Condesa de la Bahia
#14 of 50 in Port d'Alcudia

Been to Platja d'Or? Share your experiences!