1,787 results
All reviews bar staff thomson reps average age older generation show cooking pool area entertainment room jersey boys pine trees evening entertainment beautiful beach age group queuing system relaxing holiday drawer space entertainment team tribute acts
Reviewed 6 July 2012

Just got back from the Platja d'Or and once again it was fantastic all be it that there were people moaning about the food, heat, entertainment, and not being able to get more than two drinks at a time,What do these people expect from 3*? but NOT ME I loved every moment. The bar staff were as usual on top form, the rooms were kept spotless and the food was really good always something to eat. The pool area was clean with plenty of beds (not so many umbrellas) but that’s the norm, we meet some fantastic people (yam yams) and had such a great laugh, it was one of those holidays you didn’t want to end. Can’t wait to go back...

9  Thank Peter179
Reviewed 4 July 2012

went back for the 2nd time in 2 years, great hotel! food A1 try the apple crumble... best ive ever had, no lie! weather hot, sea warm, beach lush. rooms well cleaned, tidy and staff friendly. Come on , what more do you want ...go, you wont regret it, ps. cant beat the ice cold Migs from the fridge at lunch time.

Room Tip: get a pool side room, you get the late sun and its quiet
4  Thank Hayleymercer
Reviewed 4 July 2012

We have just returned from a week at this hotel and I would say, in my opinion this is a good 3 star, but not a 4 star hotel , having said that we had a lovely time and would return. Transfer time was about 45mins, and reception staff were very efficient and friendly when we arrived. Our room was on the 3rd floor overlooking the pool, so we had the sun from late afternoon. As mentioned in previous reviews, this is the quieter side as on the front side, a house opposite has 2 Alsation dogs which are continuously barking
The room was quite small, but adequate, and I think the dark furnishings added to the small appearance. There were no complimentary toiletries, but this wasn't an issue as we always take our own. The position of the toilet, was not ideal, and seemed to be in a very cramped space. Room was always kept very clean by the maids
The food in the restaurant was always very tasty, and catered for British,although there wasn't a lot of choice. I would have liked to have seen a bigger range of salads and desserts. It suited my partner fine, as he is not very adventurous with food, but I must say the steak & kidney,and steak and ale pies were delicious. Also one day we had roast beef, roast potatoes and yorkshire puds, and the beef melted in your mouth
The pool area did not open until 8.00am, and you had the usual rush for the sunbeds. We always managed to get a sunbed, but parasols were sometimes a little short. The weather when we were there was fabulous and in the 90s. people mentioned that the pool was cold, but we did not find this
Entertainment in the nights was a bit hit and miss, although the 3 professional acts we seen were all good. As mentioned service at the bar is very quick. The entertainment room reminded us of a storage room, although it was a nice size, we couldn't understand why it hadn't been painted. It was bare concrete and looked awful against the whiteness of the hotel building. Jade and Ryan, the entertainment team, didn't really seem to have much idea of what they were doing
The beach is only across the road, through some trees, and what a fabulous beach it is. The water was so warm, and there are loads of fish which you can feed, with bread from the hotel
All the people in the hotel were very friendly, we met some lovely people, and it was nice not to have any children around
I would return as we enjoyed a lovely peaceful week

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the pool quiter
5  Thank Sandra S
Reviewed 4 July 2012

After spending a week in the Platjador i must say that most of the good reviews were correct, it was spotless, the food was good,the staff were great be with and very helpful,but above all the beach was to die for,pure white sand about 100 metres from the hotel and you could wade out at least another 150 metres before it began to get deep, (Good for the kids).
There were quite a few older people staying in the hotel but what the heck i celebrated my 55th birthday why i was there so i guess it makes me one of the oldies.Had a great boat trip for my birthday from alcudia port which again was super.All in all a great holiday and and i will return if only for the beach.

Room Tip: one that over looks the pool, you get sun in the afternoon.
2  Thank GaryKenMacclesfield
Reviewed 3 July 2012

Apologies for the late review, I fell ill upon my return, (nothing to do with the hotel, I hasten to add). We departed on the 31st May and arrived early on Friday 1st.
There was a bit of chaos at the airport and not having visited the island before I found it difficult to get out of the place! Perhaps it was me; it had been a long day. I went to speak to the Thomson rep and asked how long the transfer time was, and then decided to get a taxi. I'm glad that I did because we beat the coach by about an hour doing this.
I had a favourable first impression upon arrival, very polite and helpful at reception. It was pointed out to us that there was tea, coffee and water available in the dining room if we wanted anything to drink, which was a nice touch.
We took one of the two, very small lifts up to our room. I have to say that the lifts were not a problem all week as it is only five stories tall so they move quickly and there is not much waiting. The room was on the small side, but adequate for a week’s stay, clean and the decor was ok.
This hotel is designed with the older guest in mind and is well designed for this. No steps at all to access all the main areas. We don't quite fit the age demographic yet, but we were aware of this due to reading previous reviews. The advantages were that it was quiet, and the people were polite and well mannered. There were also no children allowed to stay at the hotel.
On the ground floor there was the show room, professional shows three times a week, the in-house team doing the rest. There's a bar/ lounge, a large outside sitting area and the more than adequate swimming pool. There didn't seem to be a sun bed problem when we were there.
I have never seen a bar provide such quick service as the one at this hotel. There could be 20 people in a queue at the bar, and you would be served in minutes. The bar staff were also friendly, when time allowed. Some activity was going on all day, from darts to quizzes to bingo to lots of other stuff, if you like such things, you will not be bored.
Now to the restaurant. If you like gravy this is the place for you. First night, steak and kidney pie, mashed potatoes, mushy peas, and gravy. And so continued the week, food mainly British, with the odd concession to the fact that we in Spain. I did hear rumours of paella one night.
The other thing that I had not experienced before was the between meals snacks provided. Make your own sandwiches, toast etc. The last such session ending at 11:15 in the evening (bar closes at 11:30), but you could get tea and coffee all night if you so desired. Drinks were self service; help yourself from the fridge, bottled San Miguel, red, white and cava. We found the food to be of good quality, not the biggest choice but adequate for a week’s stay.
I found all the staff to be very helpful and friendly in the hotel, and the Thomson reps were also very good.
The location was ok, a supermarket across the road and a couple of bars. There was also a restaurant a street away called the Hawaii where we ate a couple of times, or popped in for a drink which was very good, with very friendly staff. One street away was the beach, which was long and golden with a shallow walk into the sea. There was also a beach bar.
This hotel had a large amount of repeat business, and I can understand why. Thomson gives an honest description of the place on the website, and a check of the reviews on Tripadvisor will let you know the score.
If you want excitement, go somewhere else. If you want some where quiet, and wrinkles don't frighten you then this may be the place for you.

Room Tip: The beach side rooms have less traffic noise, but there is some building going on opposite during the day but we didn't find this a problem.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple