US$214
US$168
US$141
BH Mallorca(Magaluf)
  • Restaurant
All reviewskids clubkids poolmain poolbranded drinksjack danielsbar staffpool arealarge flat screen tvanimation teamearly in the seasonpastashort cutlovely hotelall inclusivesmin walk from the beachplenty of choicehalf board
Reviewed 13 June 2018 via mobile

Just got back from 10 days here. We had 2 rooms. They allocated is next to each other which was nice and we had a bath which I had emailed prior our visiting requesting as I have a 6 month old baby. Rooms were fine, although did get a bit claustrophobic with a cot and pushchair In but couldn't be helped. Air con was good. Sofa bed for child was good and cot was good. Bathroom was fine.
Pools are great for kids of all ages and adults.
Aqua biking was brilliant, shame it's not more often then once every few days.
We booked b and b so can only comment on breakfast. There was plenty of choice, which was lucky as a lot of the stuff didn't look very appealing. Good selection of fruit and pastries. Juice selection good also.
Most of the staff were lovely. Some weren't very interested though. My mum asked on 3 separate occasions for an extra quilt. (to lay on as her bed was rock hard) finally this arrived 3 days later.
When we were there we witnessed people chucking drinks into the pool (staff included) which I didn't think was nice considering children would be swimming in that the next day. They also smashed some glasses and didn't clean it up very well at all. The next day there was still lots of broken glass on the floor where kids are running around barefooted. We even told a member of the entertainment team who couldn't of cared less.
The hotel is very big and busy and there are lots of different nationalities that stay there which makes it hard to communicate, lots of rude and inconsiderate guests. I've never stayed in such a noisy hotel as this one! I appreciate that's not the hotels fault it was the people staying there . People run along the corridors at all hours screaming and shouting. Wouldn't bother me if I wasn't with my children but I was and so we're many others who didn't appreciate all the noise either!!

The lifts are awful. There are 3 and they could do with more. I appreciate people using them who are high up but there were plenty of people using them for just one floor being lazy, these were fit young people I should add! Which when u have a baby and a toddler with a pushchair and all the stuff you have to take everywhere with you was very annoying. People with suitcases and pushchairs were waiting for ages for the lifts all cos lazy tw#&$ were using them.

Anyway, hotels nice, the guests are not

3  Thank harrogateowl
SamuelVillamil, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Sol Barbados by Melia, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2018

Dear harrogateowl,

Thank you very much for making your comments come to us in order to review your recent stay at Sol Barbados, through this well-known travelers website.

We are so glad to read your positive comments of your stay and we will take note of those who you felt as downside. We always for the good stay for all of our guests, we are sorry for hearing the screams of some children.

We all really look forward to hearing from you soon.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 11 June 2018

Booked the hotel direct and flights with Ryanair. Got a taxi from the airport to the hotel which took around 25 minutes and cost €40

Quite a slow check in process, but was lovely to see cold water and sweet jars on offer at reception.

Room was spotlessly clean, and very modern - it was a family room so was rather cramped with the sofa bed out, but we spent so little time in the room this was not an issue. We also had no problems with noise during our stay.

Pool areas were amazing, 3 times during our stay the water park pool had to be closed due to "hygiene incidents" (poo) but as a swimming teacher I am so happy this action was taken, this needs to happen to ensure the safety of others. Despite asking all children regardless of potty trained or not to be wearing a swim nappy, many parents didn't bother with this and some toddlers were naked in the pools!

Restaurants were clean, modern and always had a good choice. The freshly cooked pasta chef was amazing, such a nice idea. We also didn't find out until half way through the holiday that when the restaurant closes, it quickly opens up again as a snack area - one evening when we didn't feel like having dinner - we went into the snack area after the entertainment had finished and had burger and chips!

Bars are well stocked and the all inclusive price includes all top shelf spirits, bar staff never seem to smile - but to be fair to them they are completely rushed off their feet most of the day and night, as with most all inclusives there is a bit of a wait at the bar they could definitely do with a few more bar staff in the evening.

Entertainment - was mostly excellent, the Mama Mia show and the Disney show are unmissable, they were brilliant for adults and children alike and the staff worked so hard, the singer was good and acrobats were ok (didn't have enough space to work so all seemed a bit of a mish mash)

Childrens clubs - these were excellent on a first come first served basis one area is for 0-4 and the other area is 5-12, my daughter who is very shy went every day to the afternoon club, where they did painting, dancing, playing - she absolutely loved it, she also attended the Pyjama party in the evening, which she talked about for days - so a massive thank to Celia and Lala for making her time so special.

Surrounding areas, there are steps down directly to the beach from the pool area - here are bars and restaurants all along the promenade. The hotel is in east walking distance to Magaluf strip but far enough away that you don't need to see it. We also walked around Katmandu Park, we didn't visit this time but would probably return next year.

Loved this hotel and being a former travel agent I have travelled a lot, I would defintely return.

Room Tip: Next time I would book a solarium room as the having that extra outside space would be great as a family.
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
4  Thank sam20181
SamuelVillamil, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Sol Barbados by Melia, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2018

Dear Sam20181,
I have no words for such an informative and descriptive comment!
Thank you so much for sharing your opinion and description as it will be very helpful for other users to search for information quickly from our hotel in Trip advisor.
Thank you also for mentioning our kids club and Night Shows,our animation team will be so delightful to read such nice comments as they do everything possible to create an enjoyable experience for each of our guests. We are glad to know you enjoyed our wide offer of activities.
We are glad to know that you have enjoyed our hotel, the food and its facilities. It makes us really happy to see that with our service we meet our clients needs.

We would be delighted to welcome you again very soon!

Best regards,

Reviewed 11 June 2018 via mobile

Currently staying here as a family of 4, including our 5 month old baby and 4 year old daughter. Sitting here not being able to sleep as the room is far too hot and the air con doesn't seem to be working which we have reported. I'm finding it difficult to sleep because of the heat which is quite frustrating!

It's in a great location, quiter than I thought which is good. Very close to the beach and restaurants etc. We are staying bed and breakfast so not used the restaurant at the hotel much, mainly because our daughter doesn't like the cereal provided. So we go elsewhere to make sure she eats something. I have to say they do a good selection for kids at lunch and dinner however. The sweeties to help yourself to in the reception area is a nice touch.

We are staying in the family room with solarium which is a bit tight with all our stuff for the baby but having the sun terrace is a plus. There isn't nearly enough storage for us all but we have made do.

The splash park is amazing my daughter absolutely loves the smaller pools with the animals in it. It's perfect for her. Have to get down early just before 10 to get a sun lounger at the kids pool. People queue each morning but it's not too bad as opening at 10 means you can get breakfast and get ready in time to get down there. After 10 however and a big family would struggle to get a sun lounger together.

The lifts are a bit of a nightmare at the minute, there is one that stopped working 2 days into our stay and it has meant getting the lift down is almost near impossible. It just never comes to us or if it does it's completely full. We have a buggy so need the lift or have to carry it downstairs which we have had to do the last 3 days. Yesterday I bumped the buggy down myself as had no other option and my 4 year old daughter fell down the stairs as I couldn't hold her hand as well as bumping down the buggy. Luckily someone scooped her up when she hit the steps half way down and she didn't fall anymore. I feel like it shouldn't take this long for the 3rd lift to be fixed given the huge number of people requiring them. Getting a lift from the reception up to our room is not a problem however and happy to wait for one. Just going down from our room is very frustrating.

The kids club is probably the best thing about this hotel as well as the facilities for kids. The staff clearly love their jobs and do lots of fun stuff with them and are so friendly! They sit with the children and talk and play with them, interacting all the time making sure they are enjoying themselves.

The room is cleaned everyday and we get fresh towels which is good.

A couple of things however that would be better is keeping the pool open that bit later, as this week the sun has come out in the morning later and then stayed out way past 6 when it closes. Having the pool open an extra hour would have been perfect as you feel rushed to clear up and move away from the pool once it's shut. Another thing would be to make the lifts a priority to get fixed to save accidents happening when taking children down the stairs as a result. I'm glad we are on the 1st floor but it does mean we can never seem to get the lift to come to us with space for us to get in! The lift back up to our room from the reception as I said however is no problem. All in all its a great hotel for kids, staff very friendly, great kids club, great location, but it's 25 degrees in our room right now and it's too hot for my family especially the baby so I'm hoping this can be resolved before we leave in 2 days. As I don't fancy another 2 restless nights sleep on what is meant to be a relaxing holiday. The air con is just not strong enough for 4 people in the one room. I dont feel any air in the room whatsoever. I would have booked the 2 bedroom but didn't have that option when I booked online.

I would recommend the hotel minus the few issues we have encountered which will hopefully be resolved, especially the lifts and the air con in our room.

Dear Soph2307,

First of all, we would like to thank you for staying in our hotel and for taking the time to write full detailed review. We are delighted to know how you and your family enjoyed in our pools and glad to hear such nice words about staff. We regret all the inconveniences you had during your stay that make your experience not positive as you expected. We will take on account all your comments and suggestions as a way of improving till get the excellence.

Thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcome you again!

Kind regards

Reviewed 10 June 2018 via mobile

We were family of 11 with 3 small kids and we all had fabulous holiday.

Hotel was clean and well equipped to cater for everyone's needs.
Food great selection and plenty of it.
Rooms just what you need at beach holiday. Comfortable beds balcony decent size bathroom with great housekeeping (Rooms always clean, bed sheets changed 3 times during our 7 nights visit)
Great pools ( kids ones are on different level to the main one with access only through the hotel).
Entertainment 6*. Kids program during the day with kids disco every night and from 10.30pm Show time. Every night different show and very enjoyable for all ages (Kids enjoyed it as well as grandparents).

What really stands out is the staff. Everyone was very helpful, always with smile and nothing too much trouble.

Great family holiday Thank your Sol Babados team to make it memorable

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
SamuelVillamil, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Sol Barbados by Melia, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2018

dear Mirek B,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review about your stay in our hotel and for your wonderful comments.
Thank you for highlighting our entertainment team, your kind words addressed to the staff professionalism and highlighting our excellent service, mean a reason of great pride and motivation for us. Be sure I will share your nice review with them.

We will be delighted to welcome you back and provide you our best to make your stay another amazing experience.

Best regards

Reviewed 9 June 2018

We stayed here the end of May - early June 2018. 2 Adults and 2 children.
Our room was very good and clean. We had a view of the pool with slides etc and a small balcony.
The food variety was excellent with so much choice. I felt some food was better than others, as there was so much choice it was easy to find something we liked.
Some reviews of the food seem a bit harsh to me, for the amount of people they feed per sitting i think it is good value for money. We stayed half board.
I can recommend this hotel if you have children. The kids clubs were very good with excellent staff. They have lots of energy to keep them entertained.
I also noticed there were plenty lifeguards around the pools and they were on the ball which is reassuring with 6 pools to choose from.
This hotels best feature for me is its location. Just as i have read before visiting, it is just far away enough from "the strip" so you don't really see anything you don't want the kids to see. On the flip side you are close enough to plenty of places and only a few minutes from the beach. (if you are in a wheelchair or with a buggy , ask at reception for the best access)
The beach is nice and clean, the water is clear, plenty sunbeds, lots of shops near by if you want food or drink and if like water sports there are plenty along the beach.
We booked a Jet ski, Pirates and Marine land through a ticket vendor to the rear of the hotel. The 2 ladies there speak English and Spanish well and booking went smooth. (Located near the gift shops behind the "supermarcado" with the lime green sign by the roundabout)
We walked to pirates in 10-15 minutes easily and it was a great show. The jet ski was at the end of the beach so took about 20-30 minutes walk then a short boat ride out to sea. Marine land - there was a bus included in the price and it took about 30 minutes to get there. A very worthwhile day out with good shows and enclosures. Also near by i noticed a go kart track, numerous water parks for older kids and adults, katmandu park and wave house surf machine.
We didn't use the disco and bar area very much so can't comment very much about that. Brand drinks were available for all inclusive which is a nice touch if you choose.
Some people say that the rooms are small but we felt our room was adequate.
To sum up,

Pros were - Location is excellent for family's.

Excellent choice of food, including extra kids menu on the evening.

Lots of nearby attractions and restaurants, bars and cafes.

6 pools with plenty slides and play pools with decorative features.

Room comes with a good fridge, flat screen tv with Disney channel, very
good bathroom with plenty hot water, air con and a decent balcony.

The kids staff are excellent along with many life guards.

Always sweets on reception :P

Cons were - some excess noise from corridor and next room, but expected with so
many kids around.

Safe costs 18 euros which seems a little expensive.

Half board has no free drinks on the evening meal, more signs needed to
make people aware of this.

No kettle but not end of the world as we bought a travel kettle !

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
4  Thank alexdeakin81
SamuelVillamil, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Sol Barbados by Melia, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2018

Dear alexdeakin81,

Thank you very much for such a good review of your recent stay with us at Sol Barbados. We are so glad to read that your holidays with were a real ones.

We will take note of the little points you mentioned to improved, but in the end seemed to be a good holidays, and for the we encourage you to keep being in contact with us in order to return to a lovely place where you always can enjoy of your deserved rest.

Our best regards,