“What a shame!”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“What a shame!”
Reviewed 26 September 2011

This was my third visit to Melia de Mar and what a dissapointment! I stayed on the Level the room was very good, clean and comfortable, however the food was sparce, unimaginative, luke warm and of very poor quality. On the first night I was just offered the buffet ( as I was half board) and not made aware of the choice also off a hb menu, when I asked at reception "was there a choice" I was told " Well there is a wedding on" . The once friendly staff have long gone or if they havent then the spark has! I regularly have Spa treatments, my experience at the YHI Spa was awful. Firstly I stood for 13 minutes whilst the receptionist dealt with some people who were just enquiring and pondering about treatments. I was not acknowledged in any way! The facial was nothing less than brutal. The therapist although a sweet girl, continually smothered my whole face, eyes with her hands, scrubbed so hard with towels, and then put scorching hot towels on me! At one point I almost said " I cant take this anymore", I am not a beautician myslelf however I certainally know enough to know that she had no idea! Fancy Spa but dreadful. I would never go back to the Melia de Mar again. It was a five star price but a two star hotel. I have never been compelled to write a review in my many years or travel but this time I felt something had to be said.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank van123244
tonapou, Community Manager at Gran Melia de Mar, responded to this review, 11 October 2011
Dear Van123244,

We deeply regret that your experience has not been entirely satisfactory. We note your comments which will helps us to improve our service.
We work hard for excellence in our products and services.

Kind regards,
Tona Pou

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 25 September 2011

I was in this hotel for a seminar. We had 40 customers from all over the world staying at the hotel. I am also writing to a guy online and on his way back from a business trip in South Africa, he decided to meet me for the first time at the hotel in Mallorca. Before I even arrived, he wrote that the hotel was phenomenal. I thought the hotel was very nice - fabulous views. The food we had for breakfast and lunch was fairly standard Spanish fare. Nothing really exciting from that point of view. My bed was comfortable. I left my laundry on the bed and I forgot to fill out the form. The maid took it and had it cleaned for me. She came in the afternoon so that was really great service. The bathroom was large but the shower is small. Also, there was a sewer smell occasionally in the room. I am rather used to that in Spain because I have experienced that many times before. That is why I can't give it 5 stars because the smell really is unpleasant. Make sure to keep the door to the toilet area closed - I forgot to do that. There is no wifi in the rooms. You have to go downstairs and they give you a code for free 24 hours BUT it keeps disconnecting and you have to put the code in again. The ethernet cable didn't work in my room.

Room Tip: All the rooms have views of the sea but the higher floors have the better views.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank IntlTrainer
tonapou, Community Manager at Gran Melia de Mar, responded to this review, 30 September 2011
Dear IntlTrainer,

Thank you very much to share with us your experience in Meliá de Mar.
about the smell was due to a fault that was difficult to repair, so it was very dificult for us to minimize inconvenience to our guests as we do usually.

Sorry for the inconvenience that were foreign to us.

cheshire, uk
Reviewed 30 August 2011

Wife and I stayed here for 4 nights on a short break. Room on "the Level" was spacious, scrupulously clean and very comfortable. The pool area and beds over looking the sea are excellent, the pool service food, drink and towels was great (just remeber to ask them to put a mattress on the bed). We always had a choice of beds and plenty of space.

Great having a relaxing drink amongst the palm tress when we got back after dinner.

If you want lunch go up to the bar (more casual food), the actual restaurant at the pool is formal but prices were in line or lower than 5 star elsewhere. Concierge was great and recommended restaurants. Take a trip to Peuerto Portals as there are some good smaller restaurants (Blue Bar and 7777 for example) but ignore the big ones (Wellies and Flanigans) or you will be overrun by screaming kids. Brakfast on the terrace was wonderful- this is the only hotel I know where everyone that wanted to have breakfast outside could a table directly overlooking the Med.

Location is great with a short taxi ride to Puerto Portals and a bus or taxi to Palma itself- great sightseeing and shopping. Only slight downside is there is not much of quality within walking difference so a quick beer or snack is about the limit. Much beter to sped €7 getting in a taxi.

Booked already to go back!!!

2 Thank Jim P
tonapou, Community Manager at Gran Melia de Mar, responded to this review, 1 September 2011
Dear Mr. fedupguest,

First of all, thank you very much for take a time sharing with us your experience in Meliá de Mar. It has been a really detailed comment! We will tell hem to all the staff in order to keep us motivated to carry on!

We look forward to see you back again!

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 August 2011

We have just returned from the Melia for a very 4 day birthday break, it was brilliant, great location, service and room. Eight of us enjoyed a birthday dinner which the hotel gave me a cake and champagne. Thank you for making it very special.
It will not be the cheapest break you take but sheer luxury and a chidl free zone

2 Thank poppy d
Dear Mrs. brooklandslodge
Thank you very much for your kind words. We really want to do our best to our guests, so, if it's somebody's birthday, we really enjoy to have some detail to the guest.
We are really pleased to know that we collaborate to make a special birthday celebration for you.

Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 12 August 2011

We spent a week at Melia del Mar. Lovely surroundings, great with Adults Only!! Why can´t other hotels copy that. So great to have a calm and relaxing holiday without kids running everywhere...
Breakfast was great with omelettes made by the chief and with a great view.

Great that they also have a small beach on the area so you don´t have to go so far to swim in the ocean...Perfect with plenty of sun beds too so there were enought for everyone. really liked that they offered you a day at the spa area with some wine and fruits.

SO comfortable beds! I have never been sleeping so good ever in a hotel.. And pillows too..

Maybe the hotel needs a quick renovation. It´s a bit worn out and you can really see it on the balconys and the hotel facade.

Don´t know about the drugs in the former rating, but we did certainly not see any drugs at that hotel!

The only thing that was irritating was that the internet was so slow! It can´t be so slow in a 5 star hotel in 2011.... Specially when you wanted to surf around on tourists site with a lot of pictures on the island.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
tonapou, Community Manager at Gran Melia de Mar, responded to this review, 16 August 2011
Dear Zandra79_11

Thank you very much to take a time to explain in such specific way your experience in our hotel.
We will tell to the members of the staff you mention and we will work much motivated!

About the facade, as we used to say because we are proud of that, the hotel is protected by a Premio Nacional de Arquitectura and we need a special permission for make any chages on the facade or some special and catalogated details. Anyway, our staff is always taking care of that, and we repair the little things. We will be specially carefull about this point...

Tona
Also consider these accommodations in or near Calvia
1.4 km away
Sol Beach House Mallorca
Sol Beach House Mallorca
#2 of 39 in Palmanova
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,106 reviews

Been to Gran Melia de Mar? Share your experiences!