“Lovely hotel”

Hotel D'Or
Ranked #3 of 6 Cala d'Or B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 September 2017

I booked this last minute for me and my daughter from 26th Aug was made welcome
And even took our suitcase to help me while showing us our room we had an upstairs room which was nice and clean and a separate bathroom air con good well needed as very warm nights staff friendly and enjoyed breakfast very nice .always a sunbed no problem nice pool we found clean .maid service good and I thought they work very hard and the girls always polite.situated by shops lovely beaches in short walking distance .
We are hoping to return in October this year for a few days hope to have room 309 again .look forward to coming back to your hotel from paula & jasmin.

Room Tip: Higher floor better

Reviewed 21 August 2017 via mobile

This hotel is a lovely hotel, really quaint and had a real spanish feel. I liked the pool, room was basic, but air con was good, it was clean, shower was nice enough, great balcony. And the Sangria was Lovely! Happy hour was a nice touch too. The hotel was central and the supermarket opposite had everything you need. The one thing that hugely spoilt this hotel for us as a family was the unknown festival that took place every evening and on many days lasted untill 5.30am. Yes the hotel placed a poster up saying this was not their fault... HOWEVER once at the hotel you can not get your money back and choose to stay somewhere else. In my opinion the hotel and all sellers of this hotel should advise that there is a festival that happens every year and there is loud noise. I tried searching the festival to see if I should have researched the area more. However I could not find any information. I feel that this is not fair on paying customers and not cheap may I add for a 2 star hotel.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
DptComunicacion, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Hotel D'Or, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2017

Hello,
We appreciate your opinion and comment. Every year for the middle of August the patron saint of Cala d'Or is celebrated. These celebrations are alien to the Hotel and we do not know until when they will last at night.
As you have already seen, we are a very central Hotel and these have their advantages and disadvantages. We are very sorry for the inconvenience caused to you and your family.
Best regards.

Reviewed 19 August 2017

I booked this place after reading the reviews on Trip advisor...yes,there were a few that were bad,but on the whole it didn't seem too bad & I naively thought,maybe people were just expecting too much.
Check in was quick & easy,but when we got to our rooms,we soon realised that the nightclub over the road was going to be a problem.Car's coming & going all night,with screeching tyres & stereo's blasting,stopping to pic up & drop off reveller's...The man above us thought it ok to pick up several "friends" & bring them back to his room and the party continued,until 6am!
We asked to move and after a lot of conflict,they begrudgingly moved us to a poolside room,which was one of the more modern rooms. The bathroom is part of the bedroom,with clear glass screens,so you can see everything...our kids really were not impressed!
We shared to room with dirty sheets,ants & cockroaches and although it was a lot quieter,the air conditioning sounded like it was going to explode,at times.
Cockroaches seemed to be a huge problem & we too got the answer of "It's a problem in Cala D'or" ,but we never saw one once in the streets.
We did try & look elsewhere for accommodation,but the cost put us off...plus why should we have to pay again? Would never return.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room,poolside.
4  Thank Lisa210278

Hello,
We are very sorry about your bad experience in our Hotel. We are a central hotel, near the most passable areas of Cala d'Or.
As for the problem of cockroaches, I was informed correctly: we were in full heatwave and Cala d'Or suffered the consequences. In our Hotel we carry out exhaustive pest control periodically to avoid this type of situation.
However we apologize for your bad experience in our Hotel and we inform you that this kind of comments help us to improve on future occasions.
Thank you very much.

Reviewed 18 August 2017

Always look on the bright side of life, so the song goes. If the frosty attitude of some of the staff here is anything to go by, forget it! My family arrived, full of smiles and ready to enjoy a week in the sun, lazing by the pool and just chilling out in general. The smiles were quickly wiped off our faces by the time we had checked in. There was a slight problem with our rooms, and although I accept things can happen, they can usually be resolved with a smile and a little goodwill on both sides. This of course, is not what happened at this hotel. Every question or request turned into a battle, and if you think you are getting a good deal, think again. Everything but the bed comes with an extra price tag. Hairdryer, fridge, safe, even a cup of ice. 2 cubes of ice for an injury? That will be a euro please, Ah, human kindness, there's none of that here either. You might need an umbrella too, if you sit at the computer in the snack bar- the weather is beautiful, but cockroaches had a tendency to rain from a beam above. I was assured this is a Cala D'or - wide issue, yet I didn't see any others in the many bars, restaurants, the marina or beach areas we visited. We observed a worker sweeping them up for quite a while and other guests (Scottish, Dutch) told us this was a daily routine. My young grandson refused to walk through there after our experience. The pool needs cleaning more often too, as food debris and cigarette ends were left for a few days before frustrated guests cleaned them out. The lady in reception happily handed over a brush and scoop instead of calling for the cleaning staff to do it! I noticed too, that areas around the sunbeds were left unswept for days, with stale crisps and crumbs attracting large groups of ants. Although some rooms had been modernized, none of ours had been. My shower curtain was just the inner lining, with no outer one attached. My overall impression of the room was that it was outdated and tired, definitely not a place to rest and relax, purely functional - for getting changed or sleeping. One of the bar staff was a gem, however, chatty, smiley and very efficient. All in all, not the best holiday experience, and I won't be back. I definitely wasn't impressed by surly, unhelpful staff who could do with a few tips on dealing with guests in a friendly way.

3  Thank juliehelenj

Thank you for your comment and rating.
We are very sorry for your bad experience in our Hotel. Inform you that this kind of comments help us to improve and we have taken action on this.
As for the problem of cockroaches, we have passed a heat wave that has negatively affected the plagues of Cala d'Or. Our staff could not do anything to alleviate it. For your information, as we are aware of the problem of Cala d'Or, we periodically conduct fumigation in our Hotel to prevent such situations.
Again, we sincerely regret your experience.
Kind regards

Reviewed 14 August 2017 via mobile

I appreciate this hotel is only 2 stars, however even a 2 star rating still has a certain level of standard that this hotel doesn't meet. The staff were unfriendly and unaccommodating. There were cockroaches seen dropping from the ceiling where people ate and also running riot around he chairs on our porch which was very disconcerting.

My bed sheets were not changed at all throughout the whole week I was there. Also hair dryers are charged at €12 for the week when the apartments opposite my room had them included as part of the bathroom facilities. After complaining about her room, my mum was offered free rental of a fridge for the remainder of the week but when she asked the next day when it would arrive she was told she couldn't have one after all.

There were a couple of occasions the pool water was not clean or had clumps of hair floating around which were only cleaned when people brought it to their attention. It seemed like the hotel was massively under staffed in all areas and the small team of maids they have were under a huge amount of pressure to clean all of the rooms as quick as possible which only leads to mistakes and areas being missed.

The rooms would also benefit from having 'do not disturb' signs as the time the rooms were 'cleaned' (I use that phrase lightly) differed wildly each day. The location was very good but that is the only positive I can draw from my experience at this hotel and I certainly will never go back

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
3  Thank Sipermum123
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cala d'Or
Sol Cala d'Or by Melia Apartamentos
50.4 km away
Hotel Apartamentos Ivory Playa
Hotel Apartamentos Ivory Playa
#5 of 50 in Port d'Alcudia

Been to Hotel D'Or? Share your experiences!