“Excellent waiter, and some rockin’ rockfish”
Review of 456 Fish

456 Fish
Reserve with OpenTable
456 Fish is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #18 of 807 Restaurants in Norfolk
Price range: US$24 - US$48
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: 456 Fish offers a wide variety of Seafood, steaks, chicken and pork. Only the freshest ingredients are used.
Reviewed 18 March 2018

My wife and I went on a Wednesday night. We were seated right away and I liked the atmosphere of the place - lots of style. The menu offered lots of nice options. We shared the excellent crab soup. I saw a previous review complaining about the lack of crab in the soup. Our experience was the opposite - lots of big tasty chunks of crab. We also had fried oysters. I could have eaten a ton of them. We also shared a hot tasty piece of rockfish - right off the stove. Our waiter was one of the best I have ever had - friendly and courteous without being all over you. Our dessert was the flourless chocolate cake. I thought the chef did a nice job of making it chocolatey and light, without being too dense or cloyingly sweet.

1  Thank Jock W
RZ R, Public Relations Manager at 456 Fish, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2018

Thank you for taking time to leave us your kind words, much appreciated. I am happy to hear that our guests are enjoying our new menu items as much as we are! We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 14 March 2018

Our family of 4 adults recently made a reservation at 456 Fish on a night when there was a play at the nearby Chrysler Hall. We had 2 hours to eat before attending the play, but had to leave without finishing our dinner because the service was so slow. We waited over an hour for our meal which was definitely nothing more than ordinary. Food did not have much taste and one meal was not cooked thoroughly. We have eaten here previously and were pleased but this restaurant is on a down hill slide and we will not return. Very expensive for the quality of food.

3  Thank brenda k
RZ R, Guest Relations Manager at 456 Fish, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2018

We are certainly disappointed to hear of this. This is not the typical feedback we receive from our guests and I do feel that if you decide to give us another chance, you will find that your last experience was the exception to the rule. As you stated, this is not what you have experienced before and one "off night" is not a sign of what is typical. Any time you choose to dine with us, never hesitate to ask to speak with a manager to express any concerns you have. I deeply apologize that we failed to impress.

Reviewed 13 March 2018

I went there this past Saturday night. I heard a lot of good things.. Well Saturday was not a good night. There some strange things going outside of restaurant. Inside the food experience was just as bad. I ordered a new York strip steak, medium.. It came out rare and I sent it back. I the steak was loaded with fat. Plus it cost 30.00 dollars. Then my wife order this vegetable tower.. 18.00 for a stack of overcooked vegetables.. My son in law new York strip was full of fat. My other son in law order stuffed fish dish.. That was overcooked.. I will not be going back here.. Over priced.. There are better restaurants in Norfolk.. Too bad..

1  Thank Mark S
RZ R, Manager at 456 Fish, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2018

Mark, I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your experience. As for the atmosphere outside, I apologize, however, that is out of our control. The MEAC basketball tournament was taking place and there were an exceptional amount of people out & about on the street to celebrate. As for the food, I recall that I returned your steak to you after the chef brought it up to the temperature you had requested. I also asked everyone at the table how they were enjoying their meal and there were no issues brought to my attention. I can assure you that I will make the chef aware of this review so that he can communicate with our food purveyor about the quality of the Steaks we received. I hope you can agree that sometimes people deserve a second chance. If you decide to return please do not hesitate to speak with a manager about any concerns you may have while you are with us. When a manger is present and inquiring about your satisfaction, as I was Saturday night, I can assure you that we are asking because we are sincerely hoping to provide our guests with the quality food & service you deserve. We genuinely appreciate our guests feedback so we have the opportunity to correct anything you are not satisfied with while you are dining with us.

Reviewed 8 February 2018 via mobile

We had a 5:45 reservation prior to a 7:30 show. Arrived a few minutes early. The restaurant was not busy at that time. A few minutes later, another party was seated at the next table. We ordered she crab soup which took too long to arrive. The couple next to us actually received their appetizers before we did. The she crab soup was mediocre, at best. We then had to wait for our main courses. By 6:45, they still had not arrived. By then, the people at the next table not only had received their entrees, but were finished eating. I also noticed that others who had arrived after us had been served their meals.We no longer had time to enjoy our meal, pay, and walk to the theater in time for the performance.

I advised the hostess that we were leaving and to cancel our order. She notified the manager. Instead of an apology for abysmally slow service, the manager chose to engage in a debate. The reason she gave for the faster service given to the next table was that they had not ordered appetizers. When I pointed out that they did, in fact, order appetizers, she then claimed that their appetizers were quicker to prepare than she crab soup. She was insistent that we still had time to eat our meals, pay, and walk to the theater. After all, she said, the theater was only a 2 minute walk (it's maybe a 2 minute jog), ignoring the fact that 1 member of our party was an elderly woman.

All told, what food we had was mediocre, the service was terribly slow, and the manager showed poor customer relations skills.

1  Thank Russell C
RZ R, Guest Relations Manager at 456 Fish, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2018

Russell, I sincerely apologize for your recent experience with us. There are no explanations I can offer to justify what you have described. I can say that we will take your feedback to our staff to use as a tool for further training so this does not happen again. In life and in business, I hope you agree, that we all deserve second chances. I hope you will decide to return, giving us another opportunity to provide you with the food & service our valued guests deserve.

Reviewed 22 December 2017 via mobile

Went here for my birthday dinner and it was awesome. Had the cashew encrusted mahi with coconut risotto-spiked garlic spinach and a guava purée. The spinach crab dip to start was very good-see it’s all gone. Was disappointed that they charged us $2 for an extra plate of naan ( for crab dip). I think there were 10 naan triangles served with the dip-clearly not enough. The bartender made me a “special” martini per my request. It was phenomenal. Had pear vodka, simple syrup, and some ginger something or other. ❤️ For desert we ordered the bread pudding. It was a different version as in it was very gooey. The nutmeg was a bit heavy for my tastebuds but it was tasty. Went there on a Thursday as business was slow but so was the wait for food to come to the table. I’d still g back.

1  Thank Foodeee01
RZ R, Front Office Manager at 456 Fish, responded to this reviewResponded 26 December 2017

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave such a detailed and wonderful review! We are so happy that you chose to spend your birthday with us. We do hope to see you again soon, and we always appreciate feedback from our guests!

Been to 456 Fish? Share your experiences!