“A Gem in Norfolk”

Ranked #9 of 829 Restaurants in Norfolk
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 10 March 2018

We were reviewing hotels in Norfolk for our one night in town and noticed that one reviewer mentioned a wonderful restaurant a short walk from our hotel. It was Chartreuse Bistro. We could only get a 530 reservation for a Friday night (we wanted to go later) but decided to go. We are so happy that we did. The restaurant is surprisingly small but but very cozy. The staff is talented and very friendly and helpful. But, of course, most important was the food. It was nothing less than extraordinary from home cooked breads to delightful salads and a magnificent salmon main course. The restaurant also is very vegetarian friendly. The deserts were also outstanding. The chef is a real gourmet chef. Yes, the restaurant is a bit on the pricey side but well worth it. If we lived in Norfolk we would be there regularly.

1  Thank duke123_11

Reviewed 4 March 2018

Our group overpowered the small dining area (yes we had reservations) and they were read for us. The menu offers interesting choices, and we all enjoyed our selections. However, the price points exceed the environment of the venue.

2  Thank Alleycat0
Reviewed 1 February 2018 via mobile

Had met the owner/chef previously and wanted to try it. He bakes his own bread. Farm to table dining. Definately experimenting with flavors, temperatures, combinations but worth the visit and see if its for you. I enjoyed it but its not for the standard customer

1  Thank edward c
Reviewed 11 January 2018 via mobile

My husband and I happened to be in Norfolk for the day. I was looking ahead of time for a good place for lunch. Well, Chartreuse Bistro was not good it was EXCELLENT! Everything about our lunch was just perfect from the moment we walked in to the moment we left. We felt as if we were the only customers there even though there were guests at other tables. We both ordered the salmon. It was extremely fresh and cooked to perfection! The sauce had a very light coconut flavor to it. It was a bit chilly out so I ordered coffee. I didn't get a cup filled with coffee placed in front of me. I got my own personal French press pot that our server poured for me when it was ready.

This is not the type of restaurant to go to if you are in a rush. The entire staff from the greeter to the chef take food and service to a new level. The room was fresh and inviting. We were seated by the window and not only got to enjoy the city view, but got to enjoy a simple vase that held red tulips.

Our server was well spoken and gracious. The food took awhile to come out because the chef makes each dish just when the order is placed. No microwaves here! We didn't mind a bit. The entire lunch was an experience in fine dining that we cannot wait to have again.

1  Thank Rosemary H
Reviewed 17 December 2017 via mobile

We spent only one night in Norfolk and were happy to experience the delicious food at Chartreuse Bistro. We both enjoyed the fish and especially the dessert with a good glass of wine !
Recommendation: definitely go!