“Outstanding evening ”

Cuisines: European, International
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 10 June 2018 via mobile

So glad we followed our hunch that The Monastery would be the place for us to enjoy the night before our 35th anniversary.
Our server Jacob shared many great suggestions from our meal choices to places to explore the day of our anniversary.
He is deserving of 5 stars in his own.
Proprietors Anna & Adolph serve generous portions of hospitality and delicious Czech food that make us wish we could take them home with us.
Ambience and atmosphere abounds.
Don’t miss this place.

Reviewed 17 April 2018

Came here on a date with my wife and was amazed by how good the food is. They start you off with a good amount of hot bread with havarti cheese and an apple. We got the raclette appetizer which is a plate of baked cheese(not sure what kind) with capers and potato slices with pickles on the side.The montebeliaro was hands down the best sausage and saurkraut I've ever had, and the Szekely goulash was delicious too. It was a lot of very tender beef in a rich paprika sauce. We split a strawberry dumpling which we both enjoyed. The entrees looked a little small but actually had a lot of meat for the price and were very filling. Also tried a very smooth Hungarian red wine called bikaver which went perfectly with the meal. The service was great and the restaurant had a laid back old world feel.

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

This time instead of their great salmon entree, I had Chicken Gypsy. It had several garnishes I don’t eat but it was deliciousand I ate it all! Good presentation, good food, good service, and great atmosphere. Love the stained glass. I tried a new side dish but did not care for it. The sauerkraut was sweet but not to my taste pleasant but had rave reviews from one of the other guests.

The bread and cheese was okay. The goblets were nice.

Reviewed 25 December 2017

I had the goose which was outstanding. My companion a mushroom schnitzel, which she devoured.
We have also had duck, several other schnitzels and goulashes all excellent.
The potato leek soup was great, as was the free cheese and bread .to start
the fruit dumpling for dessert was delicious. The owners make you feel right at home. Such a nice contrast to the numerous boring, bland chain restaurants .

Reviewed 30 September 2017

The atmosphere was nice - old school European, stained glass, cloth napkins, etc. but the tables very small. I agree with TGSwanson's review - it did not live up to the reviews of others on this site. We arrived around 5:45 p.m. on a Friday night and there was only one other couple there when we arrived and also when we left about 7:15 p.m. (Maybe more were coming later.) The restaurant is divided into two long parts. As we moved to the back half, by choice, there was clearly cigarette smoke still in the air on the other half - both coming and going. We're no longer used to cigarette smoke in a restaurant. Our bill was $66 for two entrees and two house salads which were entirely lettuce with three small pieces of tomato and a house dressing - we did not order any drinks except water and did not eat dessert. I had the salmon and my husband had pork chops. Bread and a small amount of cheese, along with a whole uncut apple, was served first - but the serving was very skimpy for four people. The entrees were served with thin slices of potato and 3 pieces of broccoli. The food was o.k. - but we didn't think this was good value for the money. We will choose another of the many restaurants in downtown Norfolk next time.