All reviews courtyard marriott valet parking norfolk downtown front desk walking distance room was clean macarthur mall granby street starbucks coffee lobby area uss wisconsin business trip enjoyed my stay convenient location tide waterside scope
Reviewed 26 October 2018

Searched ahead and saw the mandatory valet rule. I walked the parking ramp and saw parking spaces and driveways that were easily drivable and accessible. They have a sign posted that says " Not responsible for theft or damage to vehicles or contents". How can you not be responsible when you are driving my car due to YOUR Mandatory policy? I don't know if the valets hit the curb to knock off my alignment or if they took a penny out of my change cup? Thing is when I am traveling, i don't want to have to worry about this stuff? When I pay $19/day for parking, I don't want an attendant waiting for a tip while i'm spending 10 minutes getting my stuff packed and situated for a long drive home while the attendant is standing behind me looking at mu plumber's crack. I have been a Marriott member for many years. I expect, up to date, easy, clean and stress free. The parking was added stress that no business traveler needs. There was an underwater flood light in the pool that was loose and dangling from the sidewall with wires exposed. They had thick lines of caulk covering moldy, and oxidizing grout lines in the pool and spa. They had permanent interior, retrofit windows added to the guest rooms to accommodate for the inadequate replacement windows that were falling apart. However, between the old retrofits and the new retrofits, condensation has caused black mold to grow along all the caulk seams. the room smelled of mold. Finally, the front windows of the lobby were only about 15 feet high. they were cleaned to about 10 feet and there was heavy dirt above the 10 foot threshold. I like Marriott, that is why I stay there. However, this one just seemed a bit out of step with my many other Marriott stays.

Room tip: Ask for the courthouse side
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank mike m
Charles B, General Manager at Courtyard Norfolk Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2018

Thank you mike m for the feedback about your recent stay at our hotel. I sincerely apologize that our hotel did not exceed or even meet your expectations. We appreciate your loyalty to Marriott and have taken your feedback to heart. The staff and I have reviewed your comments and have taken action to correct those items that need our attention. We hope that if you are in the Norfolk area again, you will give us another shot to earn your business.

Reviewed 11 October 2018

*Check-In – We were promptly greeted by the valet upon pulling up and he was very friendly and helpful. When we walked in, the lady checking us in was quick to greet us, was very friendly and helpful and promptly checked us in and gave us our keys. She recognized our Rewards status too. When it came to service, everyone we encountered we very friendly and helpful.
* Room – The room was nice… it looked clean and well-kept at first glance. After we walked in and looked around, we found some issues… Like the 5 beer bottles behind the couch and the lack of any USB charging ports. Bed we decent and comfy, although very firm.
* Bathroom – this was just ok… it was very “blah” at best and then there was the black mold we noticed in areas that would normally be hidden from view, like under the soap dish in the shower and other grout-related areas. Towels were decent.
* Location – Great location for downtown Norfolk, as we could walk nearly anywhere and be there quickly.
* Overall – It was a quick stay, but it was decent, comfy and safe. The service was very nice, as everyone we encountered smiled and greeted/helped us. The overall property looks were fashionable and clean. Amenities were nice as well. I would recommend this property.

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
Charles B, General Manager at Courtyard Norfolk Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2018

Thank you J E for the review. We are glad you enjoy your quick stay with us and found our hotel to your liking. We have reviewed all of your comments and will work as a team to improve in the areas you suggested. If in the Norfolk area again, we'd love to have you stay with us to see those improvements.

Reviewed 10 October 2018 via mobile

Have been dealing with multiple fraudulent charges from this hotel, have made several phone calls, multiple emails...and have received no response. Have had to file claims through our bank on fraud charegs. Plus room had ants. Do not waste your time and energy!!!! Find a different mediocre hotel to stay at.

Trip type: Travelled on business

jamie2846 thank you for giving us feedback from your recent stay. Please reach to us for assistance, if still needed, at (757) 963-6000 and we'll be sure to assist. Thank you and we look forward to helping you soon.

Reviewed 2 October 2018

stayed only one night but it's a great hotel, walked to it from the bus station, room was really nice and comfortable, clean, staff really nice and friendly, close to basically everything in downtown norfolk

Date of stay: January 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Charles B, General Manager at Courtyard Norfolk Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2018

The staff and I appreciate the review martasV52EV. We are so happy you enjoyed the convenience of our location, the accomodations and staff friendliness. Look forward to seeing you in the future!

Reviewed 1 October 2018

I stayed at this hotel for one night for a business trip. The valet was nice and welcoming although the actual drop off / pick up area is cramped. The front desk agent Jasmine was very friendly and efficient. When I got to my room it had two queen beds and I really needed one King bed. I went back to the front desk and they acommodated me immediately. The room itself was remodeled and nice. The bathroom still appears very dated and is more in line with a lower end hotel. Basic tub / shower with a shower curtain and an old style single sink outside the shower / toilet area. It was ok but did not feel at all luxurious. Having the coffee maker set up on the side of the bathroom sink counter doesn't work well either and the coffee maker itself was difficult to get to work. The parking is a valet only which adds to the cost but that can be expected in any downtown hotel.

I walked to Granby for dinner and it was an easy comfortable walk. Overall I would stay here again and expect good quality but not luxury.

Date of stay: September 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled on business

Elk34 thank you for providing some wonderful feedback about your last visit to our hotel. We are glad you found the hotel, staff and location very accommodating and fit your needs for your trip. The staff and I have reviewed your feedback and will correct the few items of concern you mentioned. We hope to see you soon, if in Norfolk, so we can take care of your again.