Delfini Strand Hotel Terme
Ranked #30 of 70 Hotels in Ischia
Reviewed 15 March 2017

Right from the first moment in this hotel is characterized by arrogance and unprofessionalism an incredible dirt. In the hotel I had paid for two nights 12 and 14 March 2017, but as it has addressed the immense hotel in which I stayed days before I decided to stay even for one day extra Sorriso wellness resort and spa ( which was perfect) by 12 March within circuit after Ischia I came on March 12 to accommodate Strand Hotel Delfini. I got room number 301. March 13 I also came with baggage. What was my horror and surprise when the receptionist refused me a room key with a team that has not yet been tidy in vain .. I explained that I stayed yesterday I only dont slept in the room and therefore have nothing to clean up. I have not been understood. elderly lady on reception was incredibly annoyed and shouted something in Italian. No one ever does not understand English. Nobody does not understand to any other language. Finally they called to the Director of the hotel which I status clarified. He then was given a room key. The room was musty and very cold. I asked why the telephone number of the director of the hotel, which I asked for burnings in the room and taxi to 8:00. when I came into the room in the evening was also smelling and unheated again, I claimed for state rooms. After an hour repairman who came not correct. It was the worst night in the worst hotel. If the owner of the hotel knows the off-season run continuously establishes the standard of the hotel should close it. Significant unprofessional staff, however, was the biggest disappointment. I do not recommend !!!

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled on business
HOTELDELFINIISCHIA, Direttore at Delfini Strand Hotel Terme, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2017

Thanks

Write a ReviewReviews (1,319)

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 17 December 2016 via mobile

The hotel is perfectly situated by the sea with a nice view of the Castle. You can still perceive its fashionable past but the hotel lacks of basic maintenance and it is falling apart. A real pity as its potential is undeniable.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 November 2016

Hotel and Room: The hotel is in a good location, served by bus, however we recommend to rent a moped or a car to be able to move freely on the island and to easily reach the center. The hotel is very nice and offers a beautiful view of the sea and the Aragonese castle. It is clean and the staff is friendly. In low season the exterior is poorly maintained though.

Spa: There is a small thermal pool and spa treatments on request in the hotel. Although a price list is provided, it is good to clearly establish the price and type of treatment. I chose a relaxing massage for the whole body, and I received a terrible back massage only for 20 minutes. It wasn't the first massage I had and I can assure that this was everything but relaxing. At check out we were charged the cost of a lymphatic drainage massage of half an hour, 40 euros. To my request for explanations I was told that I should have complained to the beautician and that I should have been more precise in booking the massage. Not professional in my opinion. My wife had a facial from the same beautician and was quite satisfied. Included in the price of the room you can use the thermal baths of the hotel Parco Verde which is about 10 minutes away by a free shuttle service provided by the hotel. There are outdoor and indoor thermal baths, steam room, cervical shower, a small gym, and spa treatments on request. The baths are good, but there is no changing room with showers. Only a very tiny room with 3 lockers open to everyone where to leave the clothes. The pools are OK, but bathrooms and common areas are quite dirty and unkempt.

Food: Dinner is served in the same hotel, (at least when we stayed in November). The menu is either fixed or with choice of 3 courses, depending on the evening, the food is decent but not special. Drinks are not included in the half board, and here is where that they tried to trick us. In the 2 dinners we had, we bought 1 bottle of wine per meal priced 12 euros each (poor quality wine by the way), and in the final bill on departure we were charged 20 and 16 euros respectively. On the order they made me sign at dinner the price had been added afterwards. At our objections we were told that it was our fault for signing before the price was added and that prices were communicated by the other hotel, denying the price of 12 euros on the menu. (See photos receipts and menus) Absolutely not happy with the explanation given, my wife and I went to take the menu from the other hotel, brought it back and received a refund. We did not do it for the 12 euros, but for a matter of principle: it is really sad and frustrating to understand that tourists who are not locals are systematically charged with extra costs assuming do not notice it or they are dismissed with inconsistent explanations, since they can't or don't want to waste time as we did, to defend their rights.

2 Italians emigrated abroad (also for these reasons)

Tip: Beware and take a picture of any price list.

Room Tip: Beware and take a picture of any price list, Rooms have all a good view.
  • Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Stewi80
Reviewed 3 October 2016 via mobile

I had a wedding there on October 1st 2016 and the only thing I can say is that this place is outstanding for its location and especially for the owner Raffaele and the Maitre Michele ... Those are 2 people that u can't find anywhere else on the island.
I am from Ischia island and I felt in love with this place, the thing that made me to choose this Hotel for my reception is the owner Raffele that makes you feeling always welcome in any occasion and he helps you for anything you need.
The rooms are amazing...as you can see from the pictures!!!
The view of the Castle is like being in a dream..u can almost touch it!!
I am really gland that my wife and I made this important choice staying with them.
I want to have an other wadding there!! ☺️

Being from the island the only thing I can say is test to see if I am wrong!!

Stayed: October 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 September 2016

This hotel is a mixed bag, for sure. Some real minuses, but some pluses, as well. If you don't want to read all of this, here's the summary: I would stay here again, IF THERE WERE NO WEDDINGS TAKING PLACE. AND I WOULD DOUBLECHECK THAT BEFORE GOING.

The good:

1. The C12 and C13 buses pick up literally right out in front of the hotel. It's ridiculously easy to catch the bus into Porto (in order to catch all the other buses going everywhere else, or just to enjoy the restaurants, shopping & bars of Porto).
2. It's a lovely hotel. Beautiful tilework, lovely lounging area outside of lobby area, our room was lovely.
3. It sits in arguably the most cove/coastline area on the island. The scenery is spectacular.

Now the problems:

1. There was a wedding during our stay, which closed off the beautiful pool & lounge areas to hotel guests. We were extremely unhappy about that. I booked the hotel specifically mid-week to avoid being there during a wedding, but sure enough, there was a mid-week wedding during our stay. Complete with a 30 minute fireworks show that started around 11pm or midnight right outside our window and it was LOUD. EXTREMELY LOUD. We had to endure that & prayed for it to end so we could just get some sleep. The hotel never made us aware of it, never apologized & did not credit us anything for the extreme inconvenience.
2. The staff was unfriendly at best, and outright rude at worst. The head waiter, an older gentleman, was openly hostile to us during the one occasion we made the enormous mistake of dining at the restaurant. Before we even could say "hello" to him, he looked angry to see us, never smiled, mumbled...we were never made to feel like truly welcomed & appreciated guests by anyone, at any point.
3. All those gorgeous yellow beach chairs & sunloungers you see in all the photos of this place ARE NOT FROM THE HOTEL DELFINI! THAT IS NOT THEIR BEACH AREA! That is from the stunningly beautiful beach club next door to the hotel, Gardenia Mare. Delfini has its own bathing platform, but it's small, basic and not gorgeous like Gardenia Mare. We never would have even seen the Delfini beach bathing platform, had we not gone to Gardenia Mare beach club & seen it across the way.
4. The shower is very complicated to figure out. There are no instructions, so good luck. Here's a tip--write this down & bring it with you: turn the hot/cold handle to your approximate desired temperature & then gently PULL IT OUT TOWARD YOU. And as ronispector mentioned, our tv remote control also did not work, but I went to the front desk, asked for fresh batteries, et voila, it worked. No english language stations, except for music videos (which we had a ball watching--all retro 80s videos)
5. The food is not good. I would not recommend dining in the restaurant. And how an Italian restaurant can get away with serving crappy instant from-a-machine coffee is beyond me. No real cappucino at breakfast?? COME ON!

We stayed in the Premium room on the first floor, Grotta del Stella maybe I think it's called, and the room itself was lovely. The view was absolutely spectacular. Huge built-in armoire for clothes, a small (barely-working) refrigerator, a safe...gorgeous tiled bathroom, curtains open/close electronic by a switch by the bed...bed and pillows were comfortable...air conditioning not adjustable, but we never felt too hot or cold, it blew cooled air and kept us comfortable...

Will you enjoy Delfini? Hard to say. Depends on what you're there for. We were there basically entirely for the view & to be in that pretty cove area. And we loved it for that. We stayed for 3 days. It's not perfect, and it could be vastly better with a few very simple tweaks (bathrobes in rooms; room service once a day; poolside cocktail service, small things like that).

Would I stay again? Honestly, probably I would. It's so beautiful & the bus is so convenient. I was prepared to not like it at all, based on the reviews, but I did like it--parts of it, but not all of it. Having the Gardenia Mare beach club next door gives it bonus points. But without that spectacular beach club right next door, would I have loved it quite as much? Probably not.

P.S. I told the hotel TWICE before arriving that it was a special occasion. No one at the hotel ever mentioned our special occasion or acknowledged it in any way at all. Also--for an affordable, nice meal close to the hotel, try Blue Moon Pizzeria just a few minutes right up the street from Hotel Parco Cartaromana.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple