“Pleasant Surprise”

Jameson Inn & Suites
Ranked #12 of 40 Hotels in Newport News
Reviewed 27 August 2017

Even though this hotel does not have a high star rating, the staff was friendly and efficient, the rooms were clean and comfortable, and the breakfast was good variety and hot. The price was very reasonable for the quality and location.

Room Tip: Very nice.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Jameson757, General Manager at Jameson Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2017

Thank you very much! We appreciate the wonderful review and the time you took to let the WORLD know how much you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed 8 August 2017

I decided to give this hotel a chance because of the price and the pictures I found on the internet. Although I knew this was not going to be a five star hotel, I still hoped for the best. I will state that the housekeeping department needs to pay a little more attention and time to their job. This room was not by any means totally filthy but it was the small details that just seem to add up. The fridge area was sticky, the bathroom floor had some small trash pieces and the toilet needed to be wiped down better. I will give high remarks to the front desk staff. They were very friendly and helpful in suggesting a local restaurant for late night delivery to my room and always had a smile ready when greeting me. Do not get me wrong. I am by no means trashing the hotel. I was happy with my stay overall. And I will definitely stay at the hotel again.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Jameson757, General Manager at Jameson Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2017

Thank you, we do appreciate the helpful tips. I will personally share these remarks with our staff. The details do matter especially when staying away from home. We will be taking time to pay further attention to those issues especially. Thank you again for taking the time to review our hotel.

Reviewed 24 July 2017 via mobile

This was a very average stay. I wasn't fond of the shower for sure. There is no tub and the walk in shower pooled water that you had to get through for the next shower. It would be very hard to deal with small children and it is hard to shave your legs in those!! I had brought a small cooler I ended up putting in the shower with me to assist!

The smoking and non-smoking rooms are very close to each other on the 3rd floor and I am extremely sensitive to the smell of smoke (so much that I carry my own spray for it).

The staff was pleasant for the most part. I had no remote in my room and it was handled quickly.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family

Thank you for reviewing the hotel and your accommodations. We appreciate the feedback. We do have rooms with showers as a parent I completely understand how dealing with children in a shower can be difficult. Of course, I am sure you had no idea tubs were available something we may consider asking at check in. We do offer both smoking and non smoking rooms we do have floors dedicated to non smoking and floors that aren't pet friendly as well for those with allergies to accommodate both. We will be sure to ask more questions at check in to please all. Thank you for giving us your honest feedback.

Reviewed 10 July 2017 via mobile

I tried to check-in at 1:00 and the front desk lady seemed shocked that I attempted before their 3:00 check-in. Our room was a nice size with a king size bed. Had a pet smell to it. The room was clean as was the bathroom. It had a microwave and a small refrigerator. I'm pretty sure that the hotel allow pets. Also the first two floors are non-smoking but the third is smoking. It had a pool which was occupied with about 20 little kids. The breakfast was nice. I have two pictures of what that looked like. It had bagels, muffins, two types of cereal, three different juices, coffee, eggs, sausage, Biscuits and gravy. Had a waffle maker but the waffle seem to take 20 minutes each. The staff there was very friendly other than the front desk lady the first time. The area wasn't the best in my opinion. The people hanging around the hotel did not make me feel safe.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple

What a vivid picture you paint of your accommodations. We appreciate the feedback and see there definitely needs to be a WOW factor in there somewhere. We did have a few family reunions during that time maybe they were congregating sometimes that does make for a lot of people at the entrance and in the pool. Maybe in the near future you will change your mind and come back to see us again and we will work on that WOW that's missing in the mean time.

Reviewed 4 July 2017 via mobile

We stayed only for 1 night and arrived late. The reception guy was really kind and helpful! The room was fine but the bed is smelly and the bathroom wasnt really clean, but it was ok for a night and cheap

Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple

Thank you for reviewing our hotel. We appreciate the feedback. We will be sure to cure the issue with smells and bathroom cleanliness. These are two very important areas we are currently focusing on. Thank again for your time and we hope to accommodate you again in the future and next time pricing hopefully will not be the factor in what brings you back.