“Not The Worst Hotel Ever, But Could Some Improvement”

and 1 more site!
Magnuson Hotel & Convention Center at Oyster Point
Ranked #29 of 40 Hotels in Newport News
Reviewed 10 October 2016

So, I used to party at this hotel back in the day when it was the Omni Hotel. HU would have parties here during homecoming and big home games. When it was the Omni, it was well-kept and very nice. I even stayed the night when it was an Omni and attended conferences as well. Now that the Magnuson has bought this hotel, there seems to be some improvements that need to be made. For example, there was a lot of condensation on the windows, cracks on the bathroom and bedroom walls, the mirror in the bathroom was rusted so badly, I thought bugs were crawling on it, but it is just a mirror that NEEDS to be replaced. There is also a smell that is with this property. I am not sure if it is from the previous hotel or what, but when I came home to unpack my clothes, my items (as well as my suitcase) smelled of where I stayed. I will say that the individuals who work there, are very nice and personable. I also slept well. The beds were not bad and one of the perks of staying at this hotel is that it is near one of the premier movie theatres and shopping areas in the town of Newport News.

The hotel has a lot of potential as it has the bones of a great hotel - The Omni. I certainly hope they are able to make the updates quickly so they can get better reviews.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 12 September 2016 via mobile

Restaurant closed, no food at all, no bar, no hot tub. Only thing accurate in the description. Was a pool. Rooms were so musty that we had to re wash the clothes we hung in the closet. It was nothing at all as described

Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Margaret H
Reviewed 12 September 2016

The entire hotel had a feeling of once being a grand hotel in it's hay day. Now it's a shell of it's former self and maybe if the Hilton or Marriott purchased it things could turn around. First of all the hotel staff were all walking around in "booty shorts" and street clothes. Next the furniture in my room was WELL WORN, they had more scratches and discoloration than flea market furniture. The bathtub was discolored and the water knob and shower head was nearly rusted. I didn't have a microwave in the room, which was fine by me since I did have roaches in there. YES roaches and not the water bugs from outside. And just as I got ready to drift off to sleep (after killing the roaches) music started. Someone was having a party on my floor. Yes many many people were hanging out in the hall and of course it was not long before I could smell weed (marijuana to those who don't know what weed is). It's a shame that this hotel is in such disrepair, it is right across from a vibrant newly built area with great restaurants. a movie theater and shopping.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank Whirlygirl2016
Reviewed 23 August 2016

We stayed at this hotel before and it was ok, so we booked it again to stay two night when we moved our daughter down to attend college. When we arrived, we were met withe very unprofessional staff who was more worried about being on the phone with their "boo" than to help us. We also noticed that everyone in the lobby had open liquor bottles and just sitting around having a good little party. We were a little uncomfortable, but we decided to stay anyway. WE were staying two nights, the next morning we came down to attend the church that they have and we were told it started at 9, but in fact started at 10, so we didn't get to stay. So we left to take my daughter to lunch and spend some time with her. WE arrive at the hotel, early evening and the parking lot is empty and a news truck with reporter and cameraman there. We stopped and asked what happened, they said -You don't know....3 people got shot and one injured on the first floor last night. WE didn't know anything about it at all!!!! That concerned me, why didn't they tell us not to come out. They didn't get the shooter, so he could have been anywhere in the hotel, including the 7th floor. So we went inside and asked the clerk behind the desk about it and he acted like it was no big deal, Where I come from, that doesn't happen that often and it is A BIG DEAL. I will NEVER stay there again. Other than that incident, the restaurant was closed, they had a problem with the pool, so there were no amenities to make up for it.,

Stayed: August 2016
2  Thank Nikki S
Reviewed 21 August 2016

Private party, had to use facility bar and food. There for a social event and there was a cash bar, the drinks were in small cups, filled with ice $10! Needless to say, not at all worth it. The dance floor wasn't stable and there were too many gaps, not suitable for dancing in heels. The bathroom was clean, but there was no soap only hand sanitizer and it wasn't marked. The food was mediocre, salad fixings and only ranch dressing, fried chicken wings that didn't have salt nor pepper seasonings. Water was self serve in small plastic cups that wasn't kept cold.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple