“Nice Place”

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Newport News
Ranked #6 of 40 Hotels in Newport News
Reviewed 20 September 2017

I did like the location, as it was near a couple of good places to eat. The room was nice and the staff were friendly.The exercise room was as good as I've seen in more upscale hotels, so that was a plus. There was some kind of event that attracted a large number of younger people and a good number of them were in the hotel the first couple of nights I was there. It wasn't too disruptive but it was a higher noise level than what I usually encounter.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
David J, Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Newport News, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2017

Dear victorfU9469RE,

Thank you for your valuable feedback. We appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your experience in our home. We will evaluate the noise levels when we hosting teams and take precautions to ensure the noise levels are down and to what you are use to experiencing. Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you when your travels return you to Newport News

Reviewed 16 September 2017

I stay in a lot of HIX as I travel around Virginia for work. I have had a lot of mediocre stays recently in Richmond, Roanoke and Lynchburg so this stay was welcome. Friendly staff, great location for my travels, nicely done rooms with good internet. Everything I need. I enjoyed the ice water with oranges dispensed in the lobby, needed in the summertime in VA.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business

Dear Jim C,

Thank you for your 5 star review. We appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your stay in our home. We look forward to seeing you when your travels return you to Newport News.

Reviewed 15 September 2017

My husband and grandson has stayed at this hotel in June and had had a delightful stay. Our grandson was scoping out CNU as a college choice. We had previously lived close by and knew what a great location this hotel has. It is right off Rts. 64 and 17 and very close to CNU. Across Rt. 17 (also called J. Clyde Morris Blvd.), to the left as you exit the parking lot, is a shopping center where they have several restaurants, a Food Lion grocery store, and a Dominos Pizza. Down the road a bit on the left is a popular barbecue place called County Grill and Smokehouse. You couldn't ask for a better location, at least for our purposes. (Do keep an eye out for the hotel, though, for you go by the Quality Inn before getting to the Holiday Inn.) Parking was easy and the area well lit.

Last weekend we brought the whole family back to CNU and had two rooms, one a suite and one a standard room. The suite was wonderfully spacious with two beds in a separate room. With two teenage boys, this was a real bonus. The decor was contemporary and had a chaise lounge on one side and a sofa on the other. Our room was smaller but had a comfortable king size bed. Both rooms were very clean, and the beds were comfortable. Although the hotel was almost completely booked (a large bus with a sports teams staying there,) we didn't hear a peep. Check in was fast, and the staff was most friendly and efficient. Check out was easy, and our receipts for the stay were delivered under the door.
Breakfast was very good. I had an omelet, and it was terrific. I believe the pan cakes were a bit on the thin side, more like a crepe, but everything else was tasty. Michelle was working hard to keep everything stocked during a very busy morning. Relief staff came to help her out.
There was a bit of a snafu during the stay, but it was my fault. Both Anna and Kanisha were most helpful in trying to get it resolved, and David J., the manager, was great. These staff members should be commended.
OK. So if all was so great, why did I give the hotel a 4 instead of a 5? I had to take a couple of points off because of a couple of things that I believe can be easily fixed. There was a pervasive smell of chemicals whenever I went into the hall. I'm not sure if it was from the pool or if the carpets had been recently cleaned. Whatever the cause, it was incredibly strong. When I went into the pool area, the pool might have had too many chemicals in it. I was unable to see the bottom of the pool both at night and during the day. Not sure what caused that, but since someone else has written about the pool being great, I believe I might have caught it at a bad time. In addition, I reserve a 5 rating for hotels whose amenities surpass the expected. This hotel is a basic hotel. It is a good, clean, comfortable hotel whose rates are very good, all you would want when you're traveling. Would I stay again? Absolutely. In fact, if my grandson does end up going to CNU, we'll be a frequent visitor.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family

Dear schneewitchen,

Thank you for your valuable feedback. We appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your stay in our home. Your comments will be shared with the staff and all deficiencies will be addressed. Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you when you return to our area.

Reviewed 31 August 2017

There were both some good aspects and bad for our 3 night stay this month. We basically chose this one because of the $110/night average cost - the one in Hampton is up over $150/night. Overall, most of the other HIX properties we have used have been better than this one, but as I said there were some positives.

Positives:
-------------
* Room includes a small, but working fridge - even the freezer worked - a microwave oven and a Keurig coffee maker - we didn't use either the micro or the Keurig
* Jolita at the front desk was a pleasure to work with
* There were 3 or 4 luggage carts and perhaps we hit them on a slow weekend because we didn't have any problem getting a cart for check-in or check-out - usually these carts are nowhere to be found.
* The parking lot is very well lit - brought a brand new car on this trip and I was worried about it, but we had no issues.

Negatives:
--------------
* The first thing that hit us when we entered the lobby was a very strong smell of chlorine from the pool - when the pool chemicals are used, you need to keep the doors open for a bit to bring in some fresh air.
* Similar experience on entering the room (526) - the air smelled stale. I know the windows don't open, but there must be some way to freshen up the room regularly - like running one of those room de-odorizers I have seen used.
* Only 1 soap was left in the bathroom and there were cigarette burns in the carpet
* The entrance to the hotel is a shared "road" off J. Clyde Morris with Quality Inn. If you follow your GPS or Map App, it will take you right past this single entrance onto the ramp for 64-W - which results in a 3 or 4 mile loop back to J. Clyde Morris Blvd.
* A couple of broken items in room 526: plug in vestibule not functional; oval table next to fainting couch was wobbly; TV remote was held together with medical tape - it worked, but it was kind of nasty feeling
* There was no grab bar in the large rectangular shower stall - overall the bathroom has been nicely decorated, but it seems like a safety issue to not have at least 1 grab bar.
* The tile work in the lobby area is nice, but man is it LOUD. At one point the ladies at the front desk were having a high-spirited conversation with the ladies in the laundry room and the noise level was echoing all around the first floor - especially into the breakfast area. It was disruptive to anyone else trying to enjoy a peaceful cup of coffee.

Would I stay here again: because we're on a fixed income now and I have HIX points I would probably stay here again because my preferred property in Hampton is so darned expensive. If cost were not an issue, I'd stay at the Hampton, VA property.

Room Tip: Room 526 faced a parking lot and J. Clyde Morris Blvd - but never really heard any road noise.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
David J, Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Newport News, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2017

Dear ZincWhiskers8,

Thank you for your valuable feedback. We appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your experience in our home. Your comments have been noted and are being corrected. Please come back and see us when your travels return you to Newport News

Reviewed 17 August 2017

The hotel itself is in the middle of nowhere so be sure to eat before you arrive. On our 8 day road trip staying exclusively at Holiday Inns, this was the only one that did not offer any upgrade or free drink or free snack for gold elite members as were were told that this hotel only awards that to Platinum members. This attitude explains why the parking lot was half empty.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
David J, Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Newport News, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2017

Dear Sandy15,

Thank you for your valuable feedback. We sincerely apologize for the portrayal of the non appreciation for our Gold members. We value all of our IHG members as you guys are the reason why we are who we are. As a corporate standard 300 bonus is what gold members receive at check-in. We will definitely share your comments with corporate to ensure we are doing the exact same thing other Holiday Inns are doing so you may have the same experience at every Holiday Inn you visit and so you feel valued. Thank you again.