“A good place for a cheap room”

Point Plaza Suites & Conference Center
Ranked #30 of 40 Hotels in Newport News
Reviewed 26 September 2016

My family and I have stayed at this hotel several times---so, while it certainly is not the newest or best hotel in town, it definitely serves its purpose at an outstanding price...clearly, we've like it enough to returned here on multiple occasions. The hotel has been around for quite some time (it was once a very fancy Ramada back in the long-ago glory days), and now its age is evident in the layout, the rooms, and the hallway carpets. So, if you're looking for something new and fresh, this is not the place for you. BUT, it has several great attributes that make up for some of the more dingy aspects:

1) The prices are fantastic: especially in the summer, hotels in Newport News become CRAZY expensive due its proximity to places like Virginia Beach and Williamsburg. Plus, hotels in the area are also fairly pricey due to a lot of government contractors coming through the region for NASA, the shipyard, the national lab, and military bases. Point is, if you are looking to save a lot on hotel expenses, particularly if you plan to spend very little time in a hotel, this is GREAT option.
2) The free breakfast is plentiful: everyday, the free breakfast includes scrambled eggs (with salsa and cheese, etc), cereals, breads/pastries with jams & PB, and coffee and juices. Additionally, they rotate oatmeal, grits, biscuits and gravy, and bacon & sausage to go along with the eggs. So, there is definitely a decent amount of options from which to choose, including hot options.
3) The location is great : the Point Plaza is right in the middle of everything and very easy to find off the freeway(s). It doesn't get much more central than this place.
4) The rooms are clean : the hallways are in need of some serious TLC, but the rooms are always very clean. The rooms may be a little dated, but they are never dirty, and the cleaning staff obviously works very hard to do what they can in an aging building.
5) It includes all the "nice to have basics": The mattresses are comfortable, there are microwaves and mini-fridges in the rooms, and there is free Wifi (good signal).
6) They offer different room configurations: they have several "suites" which entail two adjoining rooms (one with a king, the other with a pull out sofa) which can be great for families traveling with small kids. They also have doors between rooms, so if staying as a family or group, it is easy to get a layout that affords a watchful eye on certain members while giving everyone a semblance of privacy.

So, overall, the place isn't much to look at (inside or out), but it definitely covers the bases when it comes to having a clean, easy-accessible place to lay your head at night. If you want something beyond that, look elsewhere, but this hotel has always been good to us.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled with family
Kelli L, General Manager at Point Plaza Suites & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2016

On Behalf of the entire staff here at Point Plaza I would like to that you for that awesome review.
As the hotel is an older property we do take pride in keeping rooms and walk ways clean and safe for all guest.
This help the staff feel as if their hard work is noticed and this will be a great review to share during a staff meeting.

Reviewed 5 September 2016 via mobile

I arrived with a party of 5 and was downgraded to a double due to a water leak. We were never notified prior to arrival about the issue. There was no space for a roll out bed so we just made do for 4 nights. The hotel was dirty and rundown. It resembled more of a motel. They have roaches and the pool area was unclean and dangerous. People smoked weed in their rooms and you could smell it in the hallways. The area did not feel safe. We never got our suite and decided to check out early. I emailed the general manager and she never replied. I asked for the name of the owner and they would not give me the last name. I would highly recommend finding another hotel.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
3  Thank Elizabeth A
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 5 September 2016 via mobile

We stayed in Newport News as we brought a student back to CNU late at night. When we arrived we were given vague directions on how to get to our room. The lighting is so poor on the outside we had to go back to front desk to find our room. The outside rooms are for long staying customers. This makes the entire outside of the building very undesirable and the residents in this area seemed sketchy. I was ready to go someplace else and just eat the cost. Finally got to our room. The tv did not work plus if it did there we no remotes to use with them. The shower was cold water and did not drain. The beds were hard and most uncomfortable. The next morning we head down to breakfast and were greeted in the hall by overwhelming stale smoke smell but that was better than the smell of the lobby as it reeked of dirty bathroom water. The breakfast was advertised as full hot breakfast. It had 3 hot items that were not very good. I chose cereal and it had a hair in it. No it was not my own!! Needless to say you do get what you pay for. So from now on I will not rely on pictures and go the extra dollars to a better place.

Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 24 August 2016 via mobile

I booked a suite for my family of 5. Got there to be assigned a double room on the first floor near the lobby. I was told that the hotel had a flooding that resulted in a low number of suites available and that someone was suppose to contact me prior to my arrival, but they never did.
I was not satisfied with the size of the beds.
I asked to view what they had available. I saw the first king suite, it was old and stuffy with dirty curtains. The clerk had to dust off the sofa bed. I declined and was shown another room...that was similar to a large motel room.
My hubby and I decided to keep the double because it smelled and "looked" clean.. as long as they provided a rollaway.
The male clerk (Darius:I think that's his name) was amazing and tried his best to accommodate us.
This hotel is very run down!! The shower rod was broken.. i discovered a nasty blood or vomit stain on the bed skirt when I tried to kill a crawling bug late that night. The spread was grossly torn. There was an unknown splatter on the wall. The rollaway look beat and was held together with a plastic bag.
I did alert management on everything and she gladly reimbursed me for my one night stay.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank Maddy D
Reviewed 8 August 2016

My daughter and I stayed at this hotel this past weekend as we were in the area for a large Softball tournament. We arrived late Friday evening and when we got to our room it was not the cleanest and smelled. The cabinet that held the TV was broken so the TV kept sliding out in the middle of the walkway and the cabinet door was broken and hung out as well. On Saturday morning my daughter and I awoke at around 5:30 to get ready for her tournament and when she got in the shower the water was so hot it literally scalded her. As we were in a bit of a rush due to the water situation we could not tell hotel staff that morning of the issue. When we arrived back at the hotel that evening after we had been outside in the heat all day we immediately notified the front desk about the water issue and we were told there was nothing they could do that it was something in the pipes and they had called someone to fix it. I thought we could fill up the tub and then put ice in it to cool the water but after 9 buckets of ice the water was still so hot that we were unable to bathe or wash our hair. We ended up having to go to another hotel where a friend was staying and use the shower in their room. At checkout I told the staff about the situation and was given $20.00 of my total bill which I do not feel was much compensation considering what we dealt with. I would NEVER stay at this hotel again!!!!

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family