My family and I have stayed at this hotel several times---so, while it certainly is not the newest or best hotel in town, it definitely serves its purpose at an outstanding price...clearly, we've like it enough to returned here on multiple occasions. The hotel has been around for quite some time (it was once a very fancy Ramada back in the long-ago glory days), and now its age is evident in the layout, the rooms, and the hallway carpets. So, if you're looking for something new and fresh, this is not the place for you. BUT, it has several great attributes that make up for some of the more dingy aspects:
1) The prices are fantastic: especially in the summer, hotels in Newport News become CRAZY expensive due its proximity to places like Virginia Beach and Williamsburg. Plus, hotels in the area are also fairly pricey due to a lot of government contractors coming through the region for NASA, the shipyard, the national lab, and military bases. Point is, if you are looking to save a lot on hotel expenses, particularly if you plan to spend very little time in a hotel, this is GREAT option.
2) The free breakfast is plentiful: everyday, the free breakfast includes scrambled eggs (with salsa and cheese, etc), cereals, breads/pastries with jams & PB, and coffee and juices. Additionally, they rotate oatmeal, grits, biscuits and gravy, and bacon & sausage to go along with the eggs. So, there is definitely a decent amount of options from which to choose, including hot options.
3) The location is great : the Point Plaza is right in the middle of everything and very easy to find off the freeway(s). It doesn't get much more central than this place.
4) The rooms are clean : the hallways are in need of some serious TLC, but the rooms are always very clean. The rooms may be a little dated, but they are never dirty, and the cleaning staff obviously works very hard to do what they can in an aging building.
5) It includes all the "nice to have basics": The mattresses are comfortable, there are microwaves and mini-fridges in the rooms, and there is free Wifi (good signal).
6) They offer different room configurations: they have several "suites" which entail two adjoining rooms (one with a king, the other with a pull out sofa) which can be great for families traveling with small kids. They also have doors between rooms, so if staying as a family or group, it is easy to get a layout that affords a watchful eye on certain members while giving everyone a semblance of privacy.
So, overall, the place isn't much to look at (inside or out), but it definitely covers the bases when it comes to having a clean, easy-accessible place to lay your head at night. If you want something beyond that, look elsewhere, but this hotel has always been good to us.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, Expedia and Booking.com so you can book your Point Plaza Suites & Conference Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Point Plaza Hotel Newport News
- Point Plaza Hotel And Conference