See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Very unprofessional service, swiming pool dirty, and easytobook gave me wrong information. Expensive comparing with service. Didnt use all things that was on your website. Wrong publicity on web site, because comme services couldnt use. So bad service. We arrived before twelve and they gave us our room at 5 o clock

Date of stay: August 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Luis F
Reviewed 21 August 2013

Booked a week via RCI Timeshare, the rules of the booking are that at least one of the party must book thalassotherapy treatments, no worries, we did it as a couple and had a really relaxing time.

Ile de Re is very flat, so the views you get on is island like Sardinia are missing, however, it was still very pretty, just not beautiful.

Only a 20 minute drive to La Rochelle Airport, or 30 minutes into the centre of La Rochelle, where the cafe culture and shopping are fantastic.

We probably will return to both the hotel and La Rochaelle in the future

Room tip: All the rooms wee saw were of a similar quality and didn't have any noise issues
Date of stay: June 2013
1  Thank Exeter_reviewer
Reviewed 9 April 2013

As Americans traveling to this hotel, it has been very, very difficult to communicate. The front desk personnel speak very limited English, if at all. We had to buy a 350 euro treatment package, which we found out later is a standard package with no choices of what services we took. We missed the tour of the facility due to hotel personnel's lack of communication. They seem to be unhelpful and unconcerned about the communication issue. The room is old, faces a parking lot, and has no porch or balcony. The heating/air conditioning does not seem to work, although they sent a technician (maid) to explain it (pushed a button). That solved nothing, but she spoke no English so we sleep in a stuffy, hot room. In the room there is a refrigerator, a sink, and a hot plate, but there are no dishes or cooking utensils. We were able to get a few groceries at a nearby market. A car is a must here unless you just want to see this small town. It's lovely here but everything can be seen in this town in a few hours. We took at taxi from the La Rochelle train station because in early spring we were unsure of bus service. That one way taxi ride (with no summer traffic) cost 93 euro. For fellow Americans who are used to everything being open year round, note that at this time of year (early April) many businesses are not yet open to tourists.

Date of stay: April 2013
3  Thank DeeDeeSantaAna
Reviewed 6 October 2012

We stayed in room 114 and found it clean, a reasonable size but extremely basic. The bed was really hard, we were given two quite small tough pillows only (though the bed was a good size for France) with only one blanket and a thin bedspread. The room was really cold and although we adjusted the air con unit it seemed that it didn't provide hot air. The fridge made a terrible racket so we pulled the plug out of the socket. I don't know if all the rooms are like this but the decor is circa 1980 with pink/apricot painted textured walls and grey tiles. The strangest thing was that there was quite a nifty fold away kitchen unit which contained a ceramic cooktop but absolutely no cooking utensils, no pots, dishes ... no nothing so, what on earth was the point of that? We were lucky as were only staying overnight for a conference but I would hate to be paying the rates they are charging and checking in for a longer period for a holiday or a week of spa treatments. It really is nothing more than a basic motel room but costing considerably more. You have been warned - bring your thermals!

Room tip: Check if there is heating and ask for some blankets if necessary!
Date of stay: September 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank Sandra B
Reviewed 21 January 2012

I'm going to be a little bit more descriptive here because we were caught off guard with ameneties that required additional payment. The room was older. There was a refrigerator under the TV. Yes, there was a TV, but with poort reception and limited channels. There was a stove top (2 burners), small sink hidden; but no pots, plates, silverware. No soap to clean dishes – if there were any. So that served no purpose at all. Be informed – RCI site does not tell you that you need to take a treatment at Thalacap. When we received our letter from Thalacap it stated that it was mandatory to take a treatment. The cheapest one was the decouverte – 3 – ½ day treatments. Depending on the currency exchange – it could be $500 or more – yes, this is the cheapest one. Only one person is mandatory. Although you are asked to indicate what you want and the days you want them, you do not get the days you want. If you opt not to take a treatment, you will still be charged for it.
I was set up for the first three days and actually wanted the last three days. When asked if I could change, I was told it was impossible to do so. Be informed – English is not spoken very much here. They cater to the French clientele.
I did enjoy all three half days of treatments, but I couldn’t tell you what their purposes were.
Each ½ day consisted of four parts. My first and third day were exactly the same with a slight variation on the second day.
Day 1 – Since we had arrived around 9 p.m. the night before, the person at reception had a handwritten note informing me to report to the Spa and pick up my linen package. But the spa was closed. I was to arrive 20 minutes in advance to participate in an overview of what to expect. I picked up my linen package which consisted of sandals, robe, small towel, and hair bonnet inside a bag to use each day.
I waited anxiously until my name was called. Since the individual providing this overview didn’t speak English, she handed me my schedule and directed me back downstairs to report to Room 1 (Salon 1). So while everyone else was getting a very informative, lively orientation on what to expect, I sat and waited wondering what was going to happen.
Part 1 – My name was called. I was directed to a room labeled envelopment. I told the young woman English please. She did her best and gestured me to get on the table. Be prepared that if you have a once piece bathing suit on, you are asked to roll down the top portion as if you were only wearing the bottom half of a bikini.
A seaweed paste is rubbed on your back, abdomen, arms, and legs are covered with the paste. You are then wrapped in plastic wrap and then another slightly warming, heavier cover. I was asked if I was claustrophobic. I am not. I was asked if I wanted music and the lights out. It was better this way as I didn’t know what to expect. After 20 min, the person returned to unwrap me and instructed me to shower off.
Part 2 – Not much time to wait between part 1 and part 2. This part of my treatment was a jet bath with a cap full of jasmine oil. This lasted about 15 minutes.
Part 3 - There was an hour in between the second and third portion. As I was not prepared for this, I sat around in the upper portion of the spa perusing French magazines looking at the pictures because I don’t read French. It turns out that I may have asked for a workout in the pool. There were about 10 of us. Fortunately, the young woman did some demonstrations and I was looking around inconspicuously at the others for their movements. This lasted about 20 minutes. Everyone used their hair bonnet in this class, but not for the other treatments. I suppose so there was no hair floating around in the pool.
Part 4 – This was the part I enjoyed the most. It was a shower on your back while oil was rubbed on your back, shoulders, and legs. Again, be prepared for the removal of the top portion of your bathing suit. Oh, did I mention that a man must wear a speedo? Once the oil has been rubbed on, you are given about 5 minutes to lay still while the shower comes down on you.
At the end, your robe, towel and bonnet are completely soaked. You can ask for another set. I just asked for a new towel each time. I hung my robe to dry in my room.
Part 2 and 3 were slightly different on day two. Part 2, instead of seaweed, it was algae. Part 3, a large jet tub. But at first, the individual used a powerful jet to rub up and down your legs, arms, abdomen, and back. Again, I don’t know what the purpose is. Then I was given about 10 minutes in the jet tub.
There is a restaurant. We didn’t eat there. We had a car and that helped out a lot to get around the island.
There are bicycles to rent. We did this one day for half a day (6 hours). Thoroughly enjoyed this. There are special bike paths to use on the island that keep you away from traffic. Although we did see people riding on the regular roads.
There is an outdoor pool, but we couldn’t figure out how to get in. It was locked and we were not given a key.
The indoor pool, gym, etc. are located to the right of the pick up station for your linen package.
There is free wifi, but it is rather slow. But we appreciated it as we were able to call home using our MagicJack.
We had to admit, we didn’t hear people in their rooms. The occasional movement of chairs or the heavy footed person walking down the hall. Other than this, it was quiet.
The doors to the facility are locked after a certain hour. We believe it is 11 p.m. We could walk to the water and there was a supermarket off the main road. We were not too far from it. I wanted to be specific about the treatments because I could not find any information on them.

Date of stay: May 2011