All reviews spa treatments chocolate massage chocolate making chocolate bar delicious chocolate chocolate tour chocolate products chocolate experience dark chocolate funky furniture pool area great pool modern art relaxing vibe attractive hotel spanish lessons little corn island
Reviewed 8 May 2018

I was not overly impressed by this hotel. The pool was not very clean and the rooms were very basic. I did, however, enjoy my spa experience. I had the choco therapy and reflexology. I really liked the lady who did my spa treatments. The breakfast was pretty good too except that they ran out of a lot of items really early. Overall the staff were friendly.

Date of stay: January 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 9 April 2018

Our group of twelve, "Friends & Lovers Getaway" package was booked & coordinated by our BFF & tour guide. We chose to stay at the Mansion de Chocolate for its unique choco theme in a colonial Granada hotel.

On arrival, we were received by Tony Florez, who I assumed was the Concierge/Hotel Manager. He spoke perfect English & was our liason throughout the stay. Since I require a walker, he changed my room to one on the main floor, which was a significant upgrade.
Our room was gorgeous! My husband & I had an extremely comfortable king-sized bed, air conditioning, a flat screened TV & a corner hot water shower behind a bamboo room divider. It also had a glassed-in wardrobe with safe, a separate lavatory & funky furniture. There was ample room to manoever my walker.

I was whisked off for my first treatment- a Choco Wrap. Note: the outside areas (spa rooms, pool area & garden bar) are definitely NOT handicapped friendly! The paths & walkways are all rough cobblestones & multiple levels.
There was confusion when I arrived at my designated spa room. I was sent to three different rooms before being ushered into the original one. By this time, I was in pain. And I was almost 10 minutes late, so my treatment was shortened. Janet greeted me in Spanish (she spoke very little English). She wasn't sure of my treatment as I hadn't received a ticket from the receptionist. The room smelled of heavenly insence & the treatment was very relaxing & gentle- not a massage but more of an application. The end result left my skin silky smooth.

The main hotel was very appealing with courtyards & eclectic furniture & artwork. There were different levels on the main floor with two or three steps which were easy to manoever with my walker.
The coffee shops however, were much too small & cluttered. I ventured in without my walker because there wasn't enough room. It was unfortunate that there was a tour of overexcited young ladies drinking shots & dancing about. I thought I had ample space but suddenly one jumped back into me and knocked me off balance & down onto the display shelf. Since I was also trying to avoid falling onto the hot coffee urn, I must have twisted at the same time.

I tried not to make a big deal about the incident (the yound lady did apologize) The store employees seemed oblivious. Of course they had no idea how much pain they had inflicted on me.
I basically spent the remainder of my stay in bed, on pain killers, with a bag of ice on my back & legs. My husband explained my absence to the group, as I missed supper & all of the evening activities.

I had a very restless night & occassionally roamed the hallways. I met the night watchman, Nathan, who brought me a very welcome cup of coffee. He even checked on me at the end of his shift the next morning.

The second day, which was supposed to be his day off, Tony was very attentive. He changed my reflexology appointment to a deep tissue massage with Ileana after consulting with head masseuse Marcos. Ileana deserves a 5 star rating, easing my sciatic & leg pain.
I also had my scheduled ChocoPedi with Janet. Wheras it was pleasant, she didn't buff my calouses or my heals. Also the nail polish chipped almost immediately. I only received a gentle massage on my arches. She was very friendly and kind but her performance only rated a 1 star.

We returned to our room to pack & were alarmed that the beds had been stripped & remade before checkout time.

Tony was the highlight & most outstanding hotel representative. He earned a 5 star rating. i discovered later that he had offered to drive me to dinner & to tour Granada in his own car the night before. He was at the checkout desk, where we all exchanged hugs & took pictures.

The hotel package included a chocolate bar but truthfully, I did not like the taste (even though I love dark chocolate.) My bar had a white coating as if the cocao had separated.

I rated the hotel a 3 star, the positive points for the magnificance of the building & our beautiful suite; the negatives were due to poor staff performance & management. In a hotel with a chocolate theme, there were no chocolate products in the room to try, not even a chocolate on the pillow.

There was ample hall space that could be better utilized. The breakfast area should be in a different hallway than the chocolate tour.

Room tip: Upgrade your room
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Mansion d, Gerente at Mansion de Chocolate, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2018

Hello dear customer.

Thank you for your star rating for each of our personal members staff, your commets are very importa to us.

Sorry again for your fall and all the problems you had to go through.

Best and regards from all the mansion staff

Reviewed 4 April 2018

Having decided to travel around Nicaragua, we opted to spend the night at Masion de Chocolate. The hotel is beautiful... from the gardens to the pool and the panoramic views from above the bar. The staff were welcoming and very courteous.
The room was very spacious, but I have to say that the bathroom was a major letdown. It was tiny, barely fitting one person in it. The taps for the sink were like a valve you would find in a garden... very unattractive indeed. The shower curtain was really moldy and kept coming off the hooks which were themselves precariously ledged on a piece of dowling.

Overall, a really attractive hotel, but please upgrade the bathroom.

Hello dear customer.

Thanks for your comments. If it is true that our bathrooms are a unique and extravagant design, but it is part of the authenticity of the hotel.

We wait for you soon.

Greetings from all the staff

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

This hotel could be a gem with some improvement. We went with a group of 12. The rooms were nice however, during booking, the manager tried giving us different prices then originally quoted. She thought we wouldn't like the budget rooms. She may have been correct as some of the rooms were moldy and musty. In my opinion, they shouldn't rent them in the first place. It really is a health issue. I just wish she would have told us upfront instead of trying to slip it in the final confirmation. At the end, she did upgrade rooms to suit our needs for the same price as the economy rooms. These rooms were charming, but I don't think I would have paid full price for them. There are certainly better rooms at other hotels in the area for cheaper. The pool was fabulous, though the seating area around the pool could use some work.
Tony (an employee) was simply amazing! He was always there to handle problems and answer questions. I think if it wasn't for his hospitality and attentiveness, we would not have had the pleasent time we did. Tony even came in on his day off to make sure we didnt need anything. He is truely a huge asset to the hotel. Thank you Tony for all you did.
The highlight of my trip was the 2 days at the spa getting massages with Marcos. He has magic hands!! I have has many massages throught the years and would rate his among the best. I did a separate review on the spa itself giving Marcos a 5 star. He truely deserves it.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
Mansion d, Gerente at Mansion de Chocolate, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2018

Hello Collen.

My apologies if the first impression the hotel gave you was not what you imagined. From the beginning I wanted you to stay in the best rooms but when you making the reservation with the package by the website, they had to change to economics rooms.

Everyone has a different choice of those rooms, some love them, others not so much, and so on.

You can come back any time and do another massage with marcos.

Best and regards from all the members staff

Reviewed 31 March 2018

We were a group of twelve Three couples and and six ladies. The rooms were hit and miss , Some spacious and one very small two in between.The hotel is eclectic with some lovely garden areas yet one garden seemed neglected. The pool was large and had a resident duck family. One duck had a balloon stuck in its beak I and another gentleman helped the distressed duck as no staff seemed to notice. There were cigarette butts scattered around the pool area and a child's toys and broken balloons(I picked some up)
The breakfast was very good. Although you had to ask about made to order menu . Staff seemed more interested in checking their phones and prepping than assisting guests.
The spa services ran from great (Facials and wraps)t to just plain bad (Manis-pedis)..
No top coats (I had mine re-done but just the same) so most nail work was a mess by.
the second day.Massages depended on the person giving them.
The concierge was amazing. He helped us with many of the little things. An excellent ambassador !
I liked my stay but it could have been so very much better with better service from front desk, kitchen and information . A little pricey without discounts.

Room tip: Pick a second floor triple, spacious,two balconies and comfy beds. Enjoy the breezes.
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends

Hi dear costumer.

Thank you for see the ballon is the duck's beak, as you know, we offer the pool to the public and they celebrate their birthdays, sometime. Please forgive us if we forgot something that was not to your pleasantness.

Your comments are very important to us. Please come back soon

Regard from all the members staff.

best