“Comedy of Errors?”

Restaurante El Cortijo - Bistro Nicaraguense
Ranked #61 of 178 Restaurants in Granada
Price range: US$4 - US$35
Description: Delight your palate with the best options of Nicaraguan gourmet food and a wide variety of national and international rons and wines. We offer you a warm, refined colonial style and the most beautiful view to the Guadalupe Church, get comfortable and enjoy a wonderful attention.
Reviewed 24 January 2017

My husband and I visited on January 18 at about 7 pm. We were the only customers. We wanted to try a Nicaraguan steak. The first thing the waiter told us was that he had been working there for 33 years, and recommended the house wine, a Navarro Correas Argentine red. It turned out the wine was vinegary, so we order a new one. He brought two new bottles, but didn't know the price... When we asked, he brought the menu for us to look it up. It turned out they were the two most expensive wines. We ordered another red wine, that was being kept in the refrigerator, no good for a US$30 bottle of red.

When we tried to order the food, it turned out that my husband and I had different menus with different items, and different prices for the same items. So we called the waiter, and he couldn't account for the discrepancies, or managed two produce two similar menus. Anyway, we ordered a rib-eye steak and three sausages. The rib-eye was supposed to come with baked potatoes, but the waiter said they didn't have any, and brought us mashed potatoes instead. It turned out that although the steak was ok (nothing outstanding), the sausages had been precooked and were greasy and soggy, not grilled, as announced in the menu. Also, the bread that the waiter said had been baked on the premises was simply unedible. Soggy and old.

To top it all up, when the check came, instead of the US$19.90 listed for the rib-eye steak, it showed $26.95. We pointed this out to the waiter, who had no idea. Ten minutes later we got a new check.

We spent US$77 for a very poor dinner and poor service. For US$77 two people can have several wonderful dinners everywhere else in Granada.

Reviewed 16 February 2016

I have spent quite a bit of time in Granada and passed the hotels many times, but had never eaten at Hotel Granada. What a pleasant surprise! The service was outstanding with experienced and well trained waiters. The menu was quite extensive and included everything from steak to fish and chips (real fish and chips I might add.) There were 3 of us and between us we had the Argintinian empanadas - absolutely superb. 3 different flavors. The ceviche which my friend said was the best she had ever had in Nicaragua (apparently it's her 'go to' dish); the squash soup which looked absolutely wonderful and according to my other friend was every bit as good as it looked and the plate of fish and chips which we all shared. The fish was breaded and deep fried to a perfect golden brown and there was plenty to go around. I also had a Margarita which was as a good as I have had anywhere (I was offered frozen or shaken, which is unusual here). My drink for $4.50 US and my empenadas the same. I don't recall the price of the fish and chips but the prices are North American prices-which is expensive here, but we really wanted a good meal and after a few months here, wanted to see a menu looking more like home than a local menu. We were not disappointed. We ate in the outdoor cafe on a Friday night where we could see everything that was going on and enjoy the cool breezes coming in off the lake. I will be going back next time I get an urge for some real back home food.

Reviewed 18 June 2015

Enjoyed the penne carbonara while my father ate their fish, veg, and french fries. My father had been to this restaurant and hotel before, and knows Roberto, one of the wait staff, very well. We were warmly greeted, handed an excellent table and menu almost immediately, and given time to consider what we wanted to eat. Roberto also suggested a small bottle of red wine with the perfect amount for two glasses each. Additionally, a few pieces of flat, garlic and cheese bread is provided pre-meal. Dishes did take some time to come from the kitchen, but it just meant that everything was fresh - especially as we were the only ones there! Although this restaurant is slightly more expensive than others in Granada, it's still very reasonable when comparing what you eat to home. Dish sizes are fairly large - you don't leave hungry and you do scrape the plate it's that good!

1  Thank Kneazle
Reviewed 8 February 2014

This restaurant, part of the hotel, has been very consistent over the past 3 years visited, food and prices have not changed although the food portion did shrink a little.

Excellent staff, friendly and do treat past repeat guests with special care, thank you for complimentary dessert, carrot cake was delicious!

Reviewed 22 December 2013

The last restaurant in a long line of choices, this one is worth the walk from the central park. The steak are well prepared and good quality. The service is highly attentive and professional. And the location is beautiful, only a short walk to the lake, with outdoor seating across from a church, which at night is well lite and forms a great background.