“Lovely atmosphere, beautiful inside & out but slow service, good food but expensive”

The White Dog Bistro
Ranked #2 of 11 Restaurants in Mathews
Price range: US$12 - US$27
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Enjoy fine dining at the historic White Dog Bistro restaurant in Mathews Virginia. The Bistro unites artistry, simplicity and elegance with beautiful fireplaces set in a classic 1840's southern mansion....
Reviewed 25 September 2017

I love Mathews, VA. It is such a lovely town. I have vacationed here for 3 years now and I have wanted to go to the White Dog Bistro based on the recommendations from the lady at the General Store. She said it rivaled any restaurant in New York. The atmosphere did not disappoint. It was lovely inside - even the outdoor space and bar were beautiful. The hostess was very friendly and willing to talk about the restaurant & answer our questions. To start off with our waitress was good and also quite friendly but as the meal progressed we seemed to be more of an afterthought. She repeatedly forgot about us. By the end of the meal it took her quite awhile to get the check to us. Other larger parties came in and these groups absorbed her attention - I kept thinking if you finish us up you can spend all your time on them. Not a good feeling there. I saw a blood orange cosmo on the drink menu and really wanted one. I was quite excited because I love a good cosmo & this sounded great. It wasn't great - it was ok. It was too sugary for my taste and seemed to be devoid of alcohol. If I'm going to pay $11 for it - it should at least have some vodka in it. The food was very good. I loved my meal - crab cakes - it was a good size and was just excellent. This food comes with a price though. I had prepared myself since I knew it would be expensive and didn't want to base my decisions on price. The meal itself was $29. The salad was good but didn't come with the meal and was an extra charge. We split an appetizer of Octopus. We skipped dessert. All told, with 2 drinks my entire meal alone was $75 - with tip - it was $96. So I would go back but with the hope that this was a momentary slip in service - and knowing that on my vacation this is an expensive treat I do but once a year.

Reviewed 19 September 2017

The White Dog is very nice and was beautifully decorated for Christmas and New Years!
The service was excellent and the food was prepared to perfection. Was eight in our party and everyone was very satisfied with our dinners. Drinks were beautifully served.
lEach person had a different meal of Seafood, it was well prepared. Will go back again.
Staff was very pleasant and made very good suggestions. Always polite!

1  Thank PEGGY B
Reviewed 29 August 2017 via mobile

If you like unusual food this place is for you. But we could not find anything on the menu we really wanted to eat, no matter what the price. Being in a rural area near the Chesapeake Bay we were looking for fresh fish, broiled scallops, crabcakes or fried oysters served with plentiful fresh vegetables without the flavors being distracted by unusual sauces and garnishes. Having mentioned to the waitress we were disappointed by the selection, the chef prepared crabcakes in a coconut curry sauce especially for us. Served over plentiful rissotto with one stalk of broccoli they were delicious but rather pricey. We shared a salad to start. We asked for bread, which really should accompany every meal and not cost over $5. The decor was fabulous, the ambience early on Sunday evening was quiet and the staff were all helpful and anxious to please. But I'm not sure we will return.

Reviewed 7 August 2017

Delicious dinner: award-winning crab cakes, and low-country "boil" with grits (can't pass up grits). Awesome dinner. First rate. Thank you, JC, Mac, and Tracy!!!

Reviewed 30 July 2017 via mobile

We had our daughters wedding reception there. When Hanna told me everything exceeded her expectations, I knew we made the right choice. Mac and JC were so great to work with. Easy going and great advice. They were right on target about everything. They made things so easy. So many of the guests said it was the best food they have ever had at a wedding. Simply delicious. Thank you so much White Dog!

1  Thank Bart J