“Convenient, but lacking 5 star quality”

Hyatt Regency Dulles
Ranked #5 of 20 Hotels in Herndon
GreenLeadersBronze level
San Francisco, California
“Convenient, but lacking 5 star quality”
Reviewed 6 January 2012

Slightly disappointed since the Hyatt in downtown DC is so amazing. I had a long layover, so I decided to stay here. Convenient for the shuttle that comes every 1/2 hour to pick up at the airport and close by. There is a self check in desk (which kind of feels a little bit unwelcoming since its all self service. I think there's a difference between self check in at the airport and at a hotel. The hotel should be your "home" for the time being and to not get a welcome from a member of the staff is odd.) There was construction in the gym and pool area on the first floor so it looked like a wreck. I was on the first floor (totally creepy being right next to the parking lot) and the rooms seemed a little old. It was also irritating to find minor things like a lamp not working and the batteries dead in the remote. Hyatt Dulles is fine for the quick layover, but I wouldn't stay here. Also got a cheaper price for this hotel off of Priceline (made it easier to swallow that I paid a lower price of $45 a night instead of the $100 they were asking). This isn't really a 5 star hotel. It is clean, but there isn't the luxury of a 5 star hotel (soft sheets, fluffy bed, amazing shower / bathroom). Its an old hotel slapped with the name of Hyatt. There is free internet available (which is a bonus).

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
HyattDulles, Director of Sales at Hyatt Regency Dulles, responded to this review, 16 January 2012
Dear fxc3,

I apologize that you were disappointed in your recent stay with us. While we do have self-service kiosk available at our Front Desk, there should have been an associate there to check you in.

For the past three weeks we have been renovating our fitness center. I’m happy to report that the project is complete and our guests now have a brand new state of the art facility to utilize while staying with us. I do apologize if you were inconvenienced by this.

As far as your other concerns, I’m working with the Engineering department to ensure all the items you brought up are fixed. Again, I apologize that you experienced these challenges, and please know that this is not a normal guest experience here at the Hyatt Dulles.

Best Regards,
Melanie Walent

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Pittsburgh
Reviewed 5 January 2012

This Hyatt is a great option for a stopover if you are traveling through DC. Not bad either for spending a few days in DC as long as you have a car. The facilities are definitely unbeatable for the price. We booked a an executive suite for $63 a night (prepaid). The room was great. It fit 2 adults and 3 kids easily. In addition, they have a big lobby / bar area to hang around in. The indoor pool was small, but nice and it worked for the kids. There are also a bunch of jogging and bike paths right outside of the hotel.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
Philadelphia, Pa.
Reviewed 3 January 2012

I usually have pretty low expectations for hotels near airports. Most tend to be nondescript with customer service not being a strong point (in my experience). I was pleasantly surprised with my recent stay at the Hyatt near Dulles airport. My family and I stayed there for one night as part of a last-minute getaway to the D.C. area. Our first night was spent near Dulles so we could visit the new(ish) Air and Space Museum annex near Dulles (a don't-miss diversion, by the way). I've stayed in other airport Hyatts and this one was much nicer and the staff was simply amazing.

Positives:
> Very big and well-appointed room with two comfortable double beds, a separate sitting area with sofa and two chairs, and a desk and chair tucked away in a side part of the "living" room area. I believe this is the standard room layout; i.e., it wasn't a special suite or anything. One of the roomiest Hyatt setups I've been in (apart from a full two-room suite).
> You could easily use this room setup for an ad hoc airport meeting space for people flying in, or perhaps for interviews or the like. Lots of room, and intelligently laid out.
> All room amenities and furnishings were up to date and in good shape
> The flat-screen TV had a separate panel that allows you to hook up a variety of AV and computer equipment, including PC monitor in, RCA in, etc. Again, very nice for hosting a small meeting or hooking up personal AV or computer equipment for gaming or the like
> The staff was really amazing. Surprisingly friendly and helpful, from front-desk staff to the staff in the breakfast area who treated us as long-term guests.
> Location is very convenient to Dulles airport (of course) and other Fairfax, Virginia, locations, although there isn't much in the immediate vicinity other than office parks and apartments (no walkable restaurants or other diversions).
> Although we didn't make use of them, the hotel had at least five Hyatt-only shuttle vans and buses and I saw them regularly making trips back and forth to the airport.
> Rooms were very quiet despite being so near the airport. We occasionally heard planes landing, but they sounded far off despite being close, due to the thick and insulated windows.

Could Improve:
Honestly, I don't have a whole lot bad to say about this hotel, which I'm kind of surprised about. Here are a few things that management may want to consider...
> Television channel offerings were very slim, with something like 10-12 channels (from memory). In particular there weren't any child-friendly channels like Disney, PBS Kids, or Nickelodeon. I know it's mainly a business hotel, but they should really offer at least two kids' channels, one for younger folks (Disney or PBS Kids) and one for slightly older (Nick).
> The breakfast buffet didn't have nearly as many offerings as I'm used to at a Hyatt buffet. It might have been because it was a slow period (after Christmas), so I'm not going to complain about that too much. Again, the restaurant staff was great, and our made-to-order omelets were nicely done. If you don't have breakfast included in your room rate, be aware that the buffet runs around $19 per person.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank BriPhilly
Dear BriWas,

Thank you for your glowing review about our associates and our facility during your recent stay with us. It’s not often that we receive positive reviews such as yours, and we appreciate the thoroughness in which you gave your review. We will definitely use the “Could Improve” points that you provided to improve our overall guest experience.

Best Regards,
Melanie Walent
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed 2 January 2012

After getting the run around with United Air Lines we landed at the Hyatt Dulles Airport. Airport Shuttle every 30 min. departeing or arriving was good. Front desk at night 11:30pm AND 6:30 am were very pleasant and accomodating. The rooms are a little tired and worn although they appired clean anyway. Bed clean and comfortable of course we were exhausted. Shower needs updated but water was hot and soap and shampoo were great. Anyway, what do you expect from a UAL hostel?

Room Tip: I would not stay unless you had no other choice. Staff very friendly and helpful. Great Bar Servic...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank TNtraveler1998
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 27 December 2011

Had a great nights sleep here. I was a regular weekly guest here and haven't stay in about 6 months or so. It was good to see alot of the old staff members as well as met some great new ones. Go see Wilson,Henry or Jimmy at breakfast in Elements for breakfast for a truly rewarding dining experience to kick of a perfect start to your day. The rooms are rather outdated but sleep is the purpose of the visit so just rest and go. Needs some major renovations. Front Desk Staff is very polite. Room service sucks, new F&B Director is rather a bit of a jerk. Nice lobby. The bellman/shuttle drivers are awesome...(all of them). All in all it's the kind of hotel to go have a quick drink, retreat to your room, sleep and leave.

Room Tip: For some awesome chinese take out...call Royal Golden. I use them on a regular when Im in the area a...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Mrjid1301
Also consider these accommodations in or near Herndon
0.7 km away
0.4 km away
Hyatt Place Herndon / Dulles Airport - East
1.8 km away
Crowne Plaza Dulles Airport Hotel

Been to Hyatt Regency Dulles? Share your experiences!