“What a great surprise!”

Stonewall Jackson Inn
Ranked #1 of 4 Harrisonburg B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 5 weeks ago

I selected this inn because it was half way between NYC and Asheville, NC. What a great surprise to find such wonderful Virginia hospitality with an immaculately clean room comfortable bed &a delicious breakfast. Convenient to great restaurants & the historic part of town with a great community theatre. Will definitely come back. Thank you to all the staff at the inn.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
DrWayne32, Owner at Stonewall Jackson Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Oh Marelena! You are so welcome. We do have a well kept Inn and delicious award wining "Breakfasts to Remember". See you on the way back!
The short walk to our 15 block Downtown Historic Culinary, Arts & Theater District you took is an important part of our "Stonewall Jackson Experience". I am happy you mentioned our Community Court Square Stage Theater as it is owned and programmed by our Valley Arts Council of which I am a member. The James Madison University's Forbes Center of the Performing Arts is also just up the street with Art & Handicraft Galleries of several kinds among the fine dining restaurants and historic sites in between. The 100 sites on our Harrisonburg Artisan Trail that winds through our scenic Shenandoah rounds out a very enriching and romantic experience for our guests. We are on it, as local art is the theme of our Inn. One really has to do a minimum of two days and nights here just to begin to appreciate the "Historical, Cultural and Entertainment" vortex of the beautiful Shenandoah!

There are newer reviews for Stonewall Jackson Inn

Reviewed 15 August 2017 via mobile

My husband and I discovered the Stonewall Jackson Inn last year because it was right in the middle of our 12 hour drive from Asheville, NC to Binghamton, NY for our annual family reunion. Stonewall Jackson remains one of our favorite places to stay. Though under different hosts now, we were still greeted with fresh baked cookies on arrival, the beds were so comfortable we slept all night, and the breakfast is absolutely delicious. We will definitely be back each year!

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
DrWayne32, Owner at Stonewall Jackson Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2017

We will be looking for you next year! I will see you then. About having different hosts:
I have been Wagon Master of of this B&B during its 18 year journey and adventure. My staff changes as their lives and situation changes, but the "Stonewall Jackson Experience" of A Night's Delight and Breakfast to Remember has been our steady and legendary production. During that time we have achieved and garnered many awards, including years of being TripAdvisors top choice with "Certificates of Excellence" for as long as they have been awarding them :-) As your read other reviews you will learn that I will probably meet you at your "Breakfast to Remember" with a friendly inquiry and a bit of conversation. I will look forward to meeting and having a small chat with you!

Reviewed 13 August 2017

In mid-July, in route from South Carolina to see my mother-in-law in Wilmington, Delaware, we stopped in at the Stonewall Jackson Inn as a midway point in our journey. We stayed in the J.E.B. Stuart room. Not only did we enjoy the beauty of the quaint town of Harrisonburg, but we were also treated as family by the staff, particularly Dr. Wayne, the owner of the inn.

Upon arrival, we enjoyed a complimentary glass of sherry and a tour of the beautiful premises. Margie, the innkeeper, went out of her way to accomodate some special breakfast dietary requests. We truly enjoyed the tranquility of the location and the extremely comfortable bed.

Dr. Wayne is very friendly and was eager to share the history of the inn with us. He posseses a wealth of knowledge not only about the inn, but about the surrounding area. He truly made us feel like family.

If you are looking for a quaint and cozy getaway, check into the Stonewall Jackson Inn. We left enriched by the experience.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank U3970MBjanew
Reviewed 13 August 2017 via mobile

Hello Mr. Wayne, I address you first as I know you will be awaiting this review and have a response. Thank you for your hospitality and seeing us out this morning. You were very kind. Your new staff, a Wonderful addition I assure you, were so kind as well. My husband planned a surprise getaway for our 10 year wedding anniversary and it was a great experience for us. I have always wanted to stay at a B&B. I can say it was a nice treat. There are ups and downs to all stays. People generally stay in hotels with the expectation of noisy hallways between the hours of 7am and 9pm, sounds of children, mediocre room accommodations, the smell of chlorine water filling the first floor air. It's.. meh. However the expectations of a B&B are vastly different. We own an 1860's farmhouse and happily raise our family there. Your place was similar to home and felt cozy. I can not, as others have, pick apart the rooms and small showers and creaky floors bc that is what an old historical home gives you. I have a great love for that. I will say the downside for my husband started at booking. He spoke to Margie whom he said was pleasant enough but did not ultimately book the accommodations he requested. He called 3 different times to confirm correct accommodations after his confirmation emails came back every time with incorrect information. We were very disappointed that the couple's massage was not added to our package as he had requested. Booking a trip blindly was confusing enough for him and having non accurate information given to him made it all the more.
Our first night, Friday evening, after a 4 hour drive, we were greated by your innkeeper, nice as pie!, and shown around. Offered port, which I accepted, holy smokes was it good. She showed us around, lead us to our room, we were very happy with the appearance of it, I had a dozen red roses waiting and a bottle of champaigne. We were asked to look over supper ideas and let her know when we decided so we could have our complimentary gift card. We choose Clementines, a Great choice! We walked a few blocks, had supper, walked back. Exhausted from the day and enjoying an evening of being a couple rather than Mom and Dad, we got ready for bed. Unfortunately there was a large group also staying and were loud to say the least as they enjoyed each other's company out on the back deck, which our room overlooked. I'm happy for them, not so much for us. Not Romantic at all, killed the "mood" for us. Really felt like home with our children. The room temperature was set at 70, which it never actually reached. Our room was a consistent 74 to 76. Not comfy to our liking. We do understand that a whole house to control temps in can be difficult so we won't spend any more time on that. We did ask for it to be cooler, it was attempted but not really accomplished.
The next morning was so nice to wake up to the smell of coffee and breakfast, I will mever complain about that, it means I didn't have to cook or make coffee!!! Your Chef is amazing! Complimented by his lovely wife. I enjoyed chatting with them as they prepped breakfast while I waited for my husband to come down and join me. The same loud group was what woke us up, earlier than we cared for. Breakfast was Eggs Benedict and was spot on! I have no review on breakfast and coffee other than it was perfect! And certainly better than a hotel continental breakfast. My husband and I both thoroughly enjoyed your husband and wife duo. They work hard and it shows, treat them Well! Our second night, lastnight, was a later evening for us. We arrived back around 10pm after a very enjoyable day. Sunday morning breakfast was delicious,the same group of friends were gathered on the deck well before us. French toast croissant with eggs and bacon. We were great by you, sir, offering coffee to all and asking if everyone was happy. Our stay was enjoyable. I have to drop off and leave my review at that. Picking apart a place that is so lovely bit not without flaws just does not fill me with joy. We woyld certainly recommend your B&B again, just minus the extra $ for the Romance package, as romance is what you make it, and we prefer to keep ours in the privacy of our own home. Thank you again for all the time and care that you put into each aspect of stay for your patrons.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Stacey A
DrWayne32, Owner at Stonewall Jackson Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2017

Hi Stacey, Your are so right, and you get an A+ too. You did a very thorough job and I agree with you on all counts. Margie is our newbie here and getting used to the more unusual special requests like scheduling the Massages. We are working on that one :-) Thank your husband for his patients and understanding with that. We did have a family reunion that booked here and if I were a little more on the ball, I would have handled this better by seating them on the other deck or a patio by themselves, but I just didn't get down there to cue the Innkeepers to do that. I will do better on that score as well, next time you come :-) Thank you so very much for the review, no secret I really enjoyed meeting and hosting you. Next time we will get a solid 5 from you :-) my very best to you. Wayne

Reviewed 9 August 2017

My wife and I planned a 3-night visit to the Stonewall Jackson Inn, from Friday to Monday, for our anniversary. It was a great, comfy place right in the Shenandoah valley... despite the breakfast not being what they advertised, the bed-part of this B&B make up for it.

When we arrived we were greeted by the innkeeper Margie, who was super nice and welcoming. She offered us a small glass of port or sherry while we checked in. We turned down the offer, but it was nice to be offered a small complimentary drink just for checking in.

We were shown to our room, the Joshua Chamberlain room, which is right next to the front door to the Inn. I mean right next to the front door. In fact, in the room, with the blinds open, you can see the people come and go from the front porch to the front door all day and night. It was a little awkward, but as long as you just close the blinds by the time the sun goes down it's not too bad, still, it's worth noting if you want a lot of privacy, the Joshua Chamberlain room (the cheapest room) is not the room for you. Also if you are not a morning person, it may not be the room for you, since you can hear breakfast being made pretty early (they serve breakfast from 8-10am, but they do prep work earlier). It's not terribly loud, but if you're a light sleeper maybe bring some ear plugs and an eye-mask (the porch light shines through the edges of the black-out curtains and hallway light seeps through the bottom of the door.)

Let's talk breakfast. First of all, every day was delicious. They have a hot coffee which we didn't try since we're tea people, and they do have a decent tea selection, though I wish they had more caffeinated teas. On the first morning they had some Constant Comment (our favorite), but we had the last two of those that morning, and after that the only caffeinated tea was just Lipton, which... you know... it's fine. They asked us when we checked in when we'd like to eat breakfast, but you can come to their beautiful cafe/patio at any time during breakfast and get served. You sit down, they ask what kind of juice you'd like. A good selection too... orange juice, apple juice, cranberry juice, and grapefruit juice. They will bring you your juice and a little fruit parfait, which was always super fresh and refreshing.

Now here's the rub... We were both under the impression from their official website that they had a menu of breakfast items we could get... the website talks about their "current menu" which includes two types of eggs benedict, a croissant french toast, and a blueberry sausage breakfast cake. We got none of those. There was nothing to choose from. It was what they served and nothing else. Now what they served was delicious, but not even close to what they mentioned on their site. No menu, no eggs Benedict dishes, we didn't get to taste their "Stonewall Jackson Hash."

To be honest we were pretty disappointed that we had no choice in what we ate for breakfast. We had on Saturday what was essentially an egg casserole, on Sunday we had some pretty dry and dense banana-walnut pancakes and scrambled eggs (which from what we spied in the kitchen was just some bagged pancake mix [not Bisquick but another brand I forget]), and on Monday morning it was another egg casserole but with some Mexican flare, including a side of salsa.

I will say they noted when we checked in that my wife has an allergy to nitrites (no cured meats like bacon) and they were very accommodating. And we never went out for the day hungry, but again, pretty disappointed there was no menu. I was really looking forward to that hash and those eggs benedict meals.

I mentioned the breakfast part of the bed and breakfast, but how about the beds? One word: heaven. Those sheets, the super luxurious feeling mattress. It's like sleeping on clouds. We loved that bed. The room itself is super spacious considering it's the cheapest one room. The bathroom was clean and the showerhead was really nice and could be handheld. It was also a very small shower, but it got the job done! The furniture was all really beautiful and well maintained while having a really nice antique/rustic quality. You can tell they put a lot of care into making the giving the room real personality and warmth. The AC worked really well and is controlled like your own home central AC. There was a gas fireplace, but we were there in August so it got no use. I can imagine it really being nice in the winter.

Overall we had a really nice stay at the Stonewall Jackson Inn. I will take a point or so away for kinda disappointing on the breakfast front (I am a breakfast fiend) but I would recommend this place if people are looking to get away from their day-to-day, and if the Inn either changes how they advertise their "current menu" on their site, or they actually start serving breakfast how they describe it on their site.

Room Tip: Joshua Chamberlain Room is cheapest, but people coming and going from the Inn are right outside your...
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
DrWayne32, Owner at Stonewall Jackson Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2017

Wow! As Professor Emeritus Faculty at JMU, Andrew gets an A+ for the most comprehensive and thoroughly written review ever! Thank you so very much.
I will not be able to respond to every aspect of it, but will give it a try on your major points. We certainly enjoyed having you for your Anniversary Weekend.
I am happy you enjoyed your stay save the your disappointment with your expectation of a daily breakfast menu choice of our signature breakfasts that are on our website. I am sure that if you would have requested one of those breakfasts the day before, Margie would have been happy to have that on the menu for the day. With a full house, we serve 25 people a 3 course professionally prepared and served "Breakfast to Remember" on our shaded outside deck patio. As with dietary and food allergy requirements, if you would like to have a special menu item such as my famous Eggs Benedict, we can prepare and sure do that. As you know, we specifically ask at check in about your any food restrictions or preferences, thus the menu of the day would include your request. Most of the time, the Innkeeper chooses the dish of the day based on a request from a guest, or from our signature breakfasts. Wayne's Eggs Benedict and Croissant French toast is by far our most requested signature breakfasts. Next time if you have a special request for them, just inform us at check in and we will deliver!
I couldn't agree with you more about selecting another room for a 3 day Anniversary Celebration. As noted in the description on our website, the Chamberlain Room is the room that is most exposed to noise as it is by the front door. This room is most frequently used by our handicapped, business and overnight travelers because of its easy and convenient access and we have multi-beded rooms to accommodate families as well. For extended and special celebration stays, the Jackson Suite or one of our single King/Queen options is certainly is more appropriate selection for the maximum enjoyment of your stay.