“Little stop during lunch”
Review of Olde Towne Tavern

Olde Towne Tavern
Ranked #22 of 353 Restaurants in Hampton
Cuisines: Seafood
Reviewed 25 February 2017 via mobile

Very nice spot in downtown Phoebus, Va. very relaxed vibe, great vibe and prices. We got the crab cake sandwich and shrimp po boy, both of which we superb. Crab cake was probably 95% crabmeat and the sauces they make just add to the pallet flavors.

Reviewed 5 January 2017 via mobile

The place looks like a divey beer bar with a stage in the corner and pool tables. There are only a few tables spaced far apart. However, the food is amazing. I had the daily special Bang Bang Chicken Wrap that was absolutely great. Huge wrap with lots of chicken and big serving of French fries for $9. Well worth it. They also have all kinds of fresh shell fish and fish. I will try to make it back in here again sometime soon. The waitresses are friendly and helpful and efficient.

Reviewed 17 November 2016

On a trip back to Gloucester from the Navy Exchange, my husband and I got off the interstate in Phoebus just to look around and see if the area had changed over the many years since we'd been there. We had heard of Olde Towne Tavern, I'm not sure where I heard about it, but I remembered that someone said it was really good and that we should try it. Well, on our little jaunt through Phoebus, we found it on Mellen Street. You can park in the front on the street or in a parking lot in the rear. We entered and saw that it was a little pub type restaurant. There was a bar and 2 pool tables and about 20 or more tables. There was a small stage area and I understand they have music a couple nights a week. It was clearly a family neighborhood type place because there was a little boy running around in and out of the kitchen. We were there mid afternoon. There were several men, a woman, and the child previously mentioned sitting at the bar drinking beer. There were 2 people playing pool and a party of 4 seated at a table. We found a table and were quickly greeted by the waitress. I asked her what she recommended and she said either the tuna or the swordfish tacos. I got the tuna tacos and my husband got a pick 2 seafood combo. I got 3 generous tacos. The tuna was blackened and moist and delicious. The tacos included onions, red peppers, shredded lettuce and a sauce. These were some of the best tuna tacos I've ever gotten. My husband chose fried oysters and fried clams. They came in a small galvanized tub with house cut fries. Everything was excellent. The clams were clearly not the typical frozen rubbery ones you usually get - these were fresh and delicious. The oysters were equally good. Only complaint from my husband was that the breading was a little too salty. The fries were out of this world equal to the best ones we've ever gotten elsewhere. The waitress was attentive and checked with us frequently. The prices were good for seafood - our total bill was a little under $40 and included our drinks. I'd like to go back at least 2 more times - I want to try the lobster mac and cheese and the seafood wrap.

Reviewed 15 November 2016 via mobile

We've lived in Hampton for a few years and have cheated ourselves by never eating here! Great wings with unorthodox flavors, spicy mac-n-cheese, and a catfish sandwich to live for! It wasn't terribly busy and service by Amber was terrific. It's a tavern, so don't expect "hoity toity". Expect great food!

Reviewed 28 October 2016 via mobile

If your looking for a fancy spot with pretentious fare, keep looking. If, however, you are looking for good service, and surprisingly well prepared fare, then this place is for you.

The atmosphere is a bit off putting at first. I initially thought I had mistakenly stumbled into a dingy bar. Not so! What it lacks in frills, it makes up for in character, service, and flavor.

The beer selection is respectable, but the food is downright memorable. It's basic fare, but so well prepared! The crab legs were perfectly cooked & seasoned. They slid right out of the shell and went down so well I just had to eat more. The wings, oh my word, the wings. Perfectly fried, and the OTT original hot sauce had the ideal heat.

I was raised in Georgia on fried chicken, and I can honestly say I've never enjoyed such well executed wings before. I'm afraid I won't be able to eat wings anywhere else again without being disappointed. If I could have hugged the cooks, I would have.

Been to Olde Towne Tavern? Share your experiences!