See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 9 August 2016

This was the first time beach camping for my family. I have to say that overall, the park is beautiful and worth seeing. There are several cold showers and restroom facilities available. Horses freely roam, so they could visit your camp site, as well as the crabs and spiders (we were on ocean side). Keep in mind when putting up a tent that mosquitoes stay in the vegetation of the dunes. We were lucky on our first day, since there was a breeze, but as night came the mosquitoes came too. We were bathing in bug spray, different bug sprays, and the mosquitoes were not bothered by it. We even had them biting through our clothing. Needless to say, we hunkered in our tent as soon as possible, and tried not to leave, in order to prevent attacks of mosquitoes. Also, there are some painful bites from the horseflies as well. We did have fun watching the sunrise, and the crabs in the early morning hour.

Room tip: try to travel when the mosquitoes aren't as bad.
Date of stay: August 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 1 July 2016 via mobile

The ocean front sites are gorgeous, but the mosquitos are horrendous!!! Before going we had read reviews saying bayside was bad, but ocean side was brutal too. We left after one night of our multi night stay because of it. It was unbearable even with citronella candles, citronella incense, sage bundles, and I even broke down and bought bug spray and bug repellent bracelets. I'll never go back because of how disruptive to our trip the mosquitos were.

Date of stay: July 2016
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jess M
Reviewed 27 June 2016

This place is gorgeous, camp right close to the beach, walking distance and see wild ponies. Nice safe bike trails, great camp store, ice cream, close to other local attractions. Friendly staff, overall awesome experience!!

Date of stay: June 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 8 June 2016

My significant other and I decided to take an adventure from Rhode Island on a long weekend. I had heard of the island where wild horses roam free and decided what better time to go than the present time? We booked our campsite (oceanfront) and a few weeks later we headed on our way to Maryland. We arrived during Hurricane Bonnie. Somehow the rain let up for us when we needed to setup our tent. We dealt with a really nice girl at registration and she even upgraded our site location for us.

The campground was clean and sites were spaced not too close to each other allowing for some privacy. We were lucky and had a site that could look right out to the ocean - what a great way to wake up.

We saw horses immediately when we pulled over the bridge and we saw them again before we left (we only stayed one night due to other travel plans). It was a beautiful little piece of the world that we wish we had more time to enjoy. We will surely be going back sometime.

Room tip: Camping with a view
Date of stay: May 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank allimsouza
Reviewed 1 June 2016

My huband and I visited Assateague Beach on vacation on May 28th for the day with friends. The beach was clean, not too crowded and just beautiful. Had we known it was this good, we would have come here everyday all week long. The fee was 20.00 to park for 7 days. The parking was easy and close. There were bathrooms close by, with a gift shop for snacks as well. The horses were all around the entire day. Just beautiful to watch and very relaxing. I highly recommend this park for anyone looking for a day at the beach which is more laid back than OC Maryland Boardwalk. Very family oriented and nice.

There was also camping available on the way into the park in several areas. We have never tried this, but may in the future.

Date of stay: May 2016