Stayed at this Inn because it is close to Assateague National park. Walking distance to the refuge in fact! Next door you can rent a bicycle for the day and ride into the park. We drove because it was very windy and chilly. Loved being close to the ponies and great birding.
We booked a family deluxe room and was surprised how small it seemed. It is the same size as a 2 bed Queen size room for more money. The photo on the hotel web site shows a large chair and ottoman, none in the three family rooms the staff allowed me to see. Our room had two Queen size beds, needs new mattress’s, table and two chairs, frig, coffee maker, hair dryer, small balcony with two chairs. Great soaps in bathroom and a wonderful deep soaking tub and shower.
There is a wonderful viewing platform that looks over the parking lot and ponies next door.
Clean hotel, no musty smell. Windy, dry, chilly weekend. Heat worked great.
The breakfast was adequate but lackluster. Breakfast begins at 7:30 AM; this is very late for birders and photographers since we tend to hit the trail at sunrise and remain in the park for hours. We had breakfast two of the three mornings: Scrambled eggs (very bland tasting) yogurt, fruit, cold cereal and instant oatmeal, toast, English muffins and instant hot chocolate. The second morning the hot item was waffles and cold hard boiled eggs. Plastic utensels, plastic plates and paper cups were offered; no ceramic, silver or china as suggested by the picture on the Inns website. Coffee and tea, yes, even green tea is available during the day, but is not available at night because reception is closed at night.
The pool is indoors and heated as is the hot tub; Beautiful, clean area with live plants.
Next door is a McDonald’s and other restaurants within walking distance.
I would recommend this hotel because of its proximity to Assateague.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Exceed your expectations in this family owned inn where no detail is overlooked. The Refuge Inn is located within walking distance of the wildlife refuge and minutes from our beautiful undeveloped beach. Amenities include Continental Breakfast, Wireless Internet, Indoor/Outdoor Heated Pool, Hot Tub, Fitness Room, Bicycle & Beach Gear Rentals, Conference Room and Gift Shop. A Treasure of a place, Family Owned and Proudly Operated. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Ebookers, Hotels.com and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Refuge Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Refuge Hotel Chincoteague Island
- Refuge Chincoteague Island