“Good brunch spot”

Ranked #66 of 595 Restaurants in Charlottesville
Price range: US$6 - US$15
Cuisines: Diner
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast
Description: The Villa Diner serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner from 6 a.m. to 10:00 pm seven days a week. Our popular breakfast menu items are available all day. Our lunch and dinner menus offer a variety of fresh made, soups, salads, sandwiches, and entrees. Our pizza is made in house from dough to sauce and is some of the best in Charlottesville.
Reviewed 13 May 2017

We went during prime brunch hours and lucked out without having a wait. The service was good, the food came quickly, and all in all was a good breakfast. Paying your bill there is a nuisance, as it is done at the host stand, where there are many people trying to come in and get seats. It's unnecessary to arrange the check outs in this manner, and just wastes 10 minutes of your morning. This is the only reason why they didn't get the 5th star. Overall, good breakfast spot.

Reviewed 25 April 2017 via mobile

Had an fabulous bacon cheeseburger with onion rings- fabulous comfort food! My friend had Philly Cheese steak- also great!!!
Excellent price and fast

KenBeachley, Owner at The Villa Diner, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2017

I'm really happy you came by for lunch. Thanks so much for the stars and kind review!

Reviewed 23 April 2017

Absolutely LOVE this place... it can get busy at times but they always accommodate diners as quickly as possible. Staying at the hotel next door also gives me a slight discount but even without it, the food is amazing! My favorite and goto is the cheeseburger and fries. The wait for food is never too long even when they are busy. It's also very ovbvious how well recieved this place is because I haven't dined there too often when they weren't busy.

I'm so glad you enjoy our restaurant so much. Thanks for taking the time to review us. Hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 22 March 2017

After a night at the Boar's Head, my wife and I avoided the overpriced measly offerings at the hotel and headed into Charlottesville. I'm glad we did. The Villa Diner prepared perfect omelettes and grits for us at a reasonable price.

I'm glad you headed to Charlottesville and found us. Thanks for the kind review.

Reviewed 20 February 2017

the food is cheap, but not the prices for it. went here for a family couples brunch, and its good if you want something somewhat fast (only it was very slow this time) and want some food that isnt all that good. Maybe it was an off day, the biscuits and gravy were terrible, gravy out of a can or something, but the biscuits were great by themselves. If it wasn't overpriced for cheap food, it would be would ok, and would meet expectations for a place like this. I'd expect to pay $70 for a breakfast at an upperclass chain or something for 4 adults and a few kids, not here, not worth it :/

1  Thank Phatsoundz
kenbeachley, Owner at The Villa Diner, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2017

I apologize for not responding to your negative review sooner. I usually respond very quickly, but I was so taken aback by your comments, that I wanted to take some time and reflect on my response. I think the reason we are not on the same page is your assumption that my restaurant serves cheap (your word) food. Cheap, as in of poor or sub-standard quality. But I will return to this thought soon.
First, let me humbly apologize for your experience. Unfortunately, you only mention the biscuits and gravy as a meal your group ordered. I’ll admit that it is not my favorite dish, but we do make it every day with real sausage, butter, flour and milk. It most certainly doesn’t come out of a can. The gravy does tend to thicken up when being held on the hot line. It should never be served like that, but it does happen. You graciously allow that we might have been having a bad day, and it appears we were. I also appreciate your saying the biscuits themselves were good. They are also made from scratch. But, it seems unfair to assume that all of our food is “cheap” based on your experience with the biscuits and gravy.
You mention that you feel we are overpriced for our “cheap” food. I work hard to make sure our menu is a value. Three pancakes, 2 eggs and your choice of breakfast meat is $7.95. Your biscuits and gravy are $4.95. A cup of coffee is $1.75. A six-ounce cheeseburger with French fries is $7.95. The most expensive children’s menu breakfast is $3.95 and includes a drink. I’m not sure what you ordered, but these are reasonable prices. We consider ourselves a very customer responsive restaurant. If you had let us know about your unhappiness with the gravy or your concern about the prices, I am sure we would have done our best to solve your problems immediately, before you left us a 2 star review.
We are proud of our restaurant, our customer service, and our commitment to food quality. I wanted to address your perception that our food is “cheap” or of low quality. All of our batters for pancakes, waffles and crepes are made from scratch with real eggs, buttermilk, flour, and butter. We don’t use mixes. Our bacon brand is Kunzler, a high quality brand from Pennsylvania and our sausage and country ham is direct from Smithfield county. The steak for our steak and eggs platter is hand cut from a USDA Choice New York Strip. Many places use jars of pre-cut, “fresh” fruit. Every morning we cut fresh cantaloupe, pineapple, and strawberries for our fruit bowl.
I’m not sure if you tried anything from our lunch or dinner menu, but let me tell you about some of our foods and procedures. We hand form our burger patties daily from fresh 80/20 ground chuck. The chicken for our chicken salad is marinated and roasted here, then chilled and diced. Our roast beef is trimmed from bottom round, seasoned and cooked in house. We use it for both our roast beef and our Philly cheesesteaks. We also roast our own turkey breast and corned beef here. These meats along with our cheeses are sliced daily to ensure a great sandwich. We also make our own meatballs, pizza dough, pizza sauce, marinara and meat sauces. Our food may not always be perfectly executed, as in the case of your sausage gravy, but it is not cheap, low quality food.
I know the Villa Diner isn’t the prettiest restaurant from the outside. But, I feel like you judged our book by its cover. My wife and I are hard working small business owners and my restaurant supports my family and the families of 25 employees. We are so proud of our restaurant and we really strive to create a positive experience for all of our customers. I want to apologize once again for your experience. If you take a look at Trip Advisor, Yelp, Facebook or Google, you will see that your review really is an outlier. I strongly encourage you to call me at the restaurant to more directly address your concerns. And, if you read this far, I really appreciate your patience with my defense of our restaurant.

Ken Beachley