“Great food in a rustic atmosphere”
Review of Millstone Tea Room

Millstone Tea Room
Ranked #6 of 60 Restaurants in Bedford
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 12 October 2016 via mobile

This place is an absolute gem. The food is well thought out, using fresh local ingredients. Copper topped tables in a little cabin, with the mountains as a back drop. Can't say I've ever been any place write like it.

Reviewed 8 October 2016 via mobile

A real gem in rural Bedford county. Ate dinner there to celebrate a retirement. Great setting and views. Fantastic menu. Great presentation.
Very friendly staff. Small so make reservations for sure. We very highly recommend.

Reviewed 22 September 2016

We have been there a number of times and always great food and service . My wife and I had dinner there tonight and the Fried Chicken and Stacked Porkchops was fantastic and we got really lucky because tonight they had their famous Bread Pudding matter of fact we actually had them to save us some before we ever ordered dinner. It really is that good. Our server was " Great" and took care of every need. Very enjoyable dinner.

Reviewed 18 September 2016 via mobile

Not close to much but a beautiful drive.

Went for Sunday brunch. Great selections. I had the fried oysters over eggs, bacon, and grits. Wife had the shrimp and grits and loved it.

Closes at 2 so go early.

Reviewed 19 August 2016

We have eaten at several restaurants in the area around Smith Mountain Lake, and we've found most of those aspiring to more than sandwiches and wings--and many of those--to be mostly disappointing. Millstone Tea Room is the proverbial diamond in the rough. Outstanding.

This is the kind of restaurant I love--small, relaxed, comfortable. It is is off the beaten path (an hour's drive from where we were staying, but well worth it), in a weatherbeaten roadhouse, with a shell parking lot. (Not too many tables, so call ahead for a res.)

Creative comfort food is how I'd characterize it. Different but not stupid. We'd been advised to try the mushroom toast--grilled slices of peasant bread, topped with sauteed mushrooms and mustard seed (!) and a runny egg. Each couple at our table shared an order, and we all swooned. Although the menu had so many wonderful looking things on it (lots of seafood offerings too), it happened that there were copy-cat orders at the table, with the fried chicken most popular (our friends who've eaten here several times declared it the best they've ever eaten), and it was easy to see why so few could resist--wonderfully crisp exterior and juicy, well-spiced interior. I went rogue and ordered the "stack of pork chops," less intimidating than it sounds: three very thin chops braised in milk and cream with caramelized onions. (This was so good that I came home and tried to replicate it.) Their take on Caesar was excellent (and huge). Oh, and Folks, sides are not an afterthought here. I tasted a few--spoonbread, a spicy vinegary slaw, delicious braised collards, scalloped potatoes--and found them all to be stellar versions. My cocktail was lovely. Advice on wine by the class was spot on. A couple of desserts were ordered for the table (bread pudding was one, can't remember the other), to raves all around although I couldn't manage a bite.

Great place with great menu and fantastic food and service. Can't wait to get back!

1  Thank NOmadfolk2

Been to Millstone Tea Room? Share your experiences!