All reviews a wonderful stay grand view farm sheep kim yarn chores chuck knit vermont accommodations snowshoeing gotland
Reviewed 11 July 2014

We had a very lovely 5 day stay at the Grand View Farm. Our stay was very comfortable. The house is spacious enough and has just the right amount of privacy. My kids loved each day spent there. Both Kim and Chuck are very gracious hosts and they were patient enough to answer all the hundred plus questions our kids had about the farm life and the animals. They loved the tour of the farm and especially watching the makings of a very delicious home made pizza made outside. Thanks to Kim for emailing us the right directions as the GPS would have got us all confused and then we were given directions to nearby sight seeing places also. The place itself is located in such a scenic location that one wouldn't want to move away from it. Our highlight of the day used to share the morning tea and b'fast with the family sitting near the green house and enjoying the beautiful scenary. We are already looking forward to going back again in Fall.

Date of stay: July 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Kim G, Owner at Vermont Grand View Farm and Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

We offer our guests the option of having a full breakfast provided or getting breakfast on their own. This family decided to prepare their own breakfast. I would find them up by our greenhouse in the mornings where our gas grill is set up. They would use the side burner on the grill to make their tea and then they would sit and enjoy the view of the field and mountains as they sipped their tea. When I mentioned to the wife that perhaps I should consider putting a stove in the kitchenette (it currently only has a microwave) she quickly responded that they loved sitting up by the grill in the mornings and taking in the peace and quiet while enjoying the beauty around them.

It was our pleasure to share our farm and lives with them, answering all their questions as they learned about farm life. Their two daughters enjoyed watching my daughter and I make wood-fired pizzas one morning. We even made a small one for them to have as a snack which they seemed to like!

Reviewed 22 November 2013

I traveled to the Grand View Farm with my mom and my 2 kids. The accommodations were perfect for our situation. One bedroom had a queen bed and fit a pack n play nicely. The other had 2 twin beds. The sitting area was a nice size and the house was loaded with puzzles and kids toys that my 4 year old loved.

The hosts Kim and Chuck were very nice as well. Kim cooked nice breakfasts with food from their farm mostly. My son collected eggs 2 days we were there and then we got to eat them the next mornings! The farm animals were fun to visit with and my son loved helping with farm chores, which was feeding the sheep, llama, chickens, and rabbit, and his favorite, collecting the eggs.

Kim was very helpful with directions and ideas for what to do in the area, and the living room had a huge basket of brochures of local activities. We stayed for 4 days and found plenty to do. We did not spend a lot of time on the farm except for the 2 afternoons my son helped with chores. There is not much to do in the immediate area around the farm. Most places we went on day trips were 30-60 minutes from the farm. It wasn't so bad though. The roads are mostly paved and easy to drive on.

I am an avid knitter so I loved visiting Kim's studio and seeing all the yarn and projects she's made. I actually bought a few skeins to make some projects with. My son thought it was cool to pick out yarn for his hat from sheep he had met on the farm!

I highly recommend this farm and the idea of a farm stay. It was our first farm stay and I think there will be more in our future. Even my 1 year old daughter had a fun time and enjoyed seeing the animals.

The only thing I did not like was that there was just one heater in the main living area. If the bedroom doors are left wide open it is probably enough heat to keep the whole place warm. but with small kids, and a 1 year old who occasionally cries in the middle of the night, I like to shut the doors. Kim mentioned this ahead of time when I asked about the heat, so I had brought an electric heater with me just in case, and I did use it the last night. It's possible the Goodlings had one to lend but I did not ask.

Date of stay: November 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Kim G, Owner at Vermont Grand View Farm and Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2013

Our guests are always welcome to help out with chores. Collecting the eggs is usually the highlight for most of our guests as well as meeting the sheep! Most guests let us know which days they would like to help us during their stay on the farm, and we try to coordinate our chore time with their touring schedules so they can participate in chore time.

Our Farmhouse Suite may be heated with either a woodstove or propane heater. Many parents who have small children choose to use the propane heater so they do not need to worry about their little ones with the hot wood stove. Both the heater and wood stove are able to heat both bedrooms if the doors are left open. We do have an electric space heater available for use.

Our farm is centrally located within the state, out of the busy tourist areas, however, there is much to do within a 30 min. drive of the farm. Our website http://www.grandviewfarmvt.net/farm-stays.html has some suggested local activities to participate in.

Reviewed 17 October 2013

My daughter and I spent one night on our way back to Boston after a busy couple of days in the Burlington/Shelburne area. The farm has a beautiful setting on a well-maintained dirt road and we loved our tour of the animals and gardens. Our room was comfortable and quiet with two twin beds. We enjoyed a delicious dinner and breakfast and a fire in the wood stove in the morning. I do recommend signing up (in advance) for dinner--it would be stressful to find the place after dark and a long ways to go out to a restaurant. For us, our stay was a great way to get off the highway for a while--we got off interstate 89 at exit 7 on our way to the farm and got back on at exit 2 the next day. The Wi-Fi worked perfectly for us.

Date of stay: October 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Kim G, Owner at Vermont Grand View Farm and Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2013

We offer dinner to our B&B guests for the very reasons this guest stated. It allows our guests to arrive and settle in without having to, head back out to find a meal. We prepare all of our meals with locally sourced food. I do ask for advanced notice when requesting dinner.

I am so glad that our farm provided a restful stopover!

Reviewed 6 October 2013

We had a lovely weekend visit to the Grand View Farm last month - everything was just right, from the perfect directions (thank goodness, since the GPS was far from accurate about the final dirt roads), to the dinner recommendations, to Kim's helpful and thoughtful suggestions on places to visit. As it turns out, it's a very good thing we were not able to cancel the rooms at the last minute. The living room and porch were perfect for our spinning and fiber preparations (supervised by the outdoors cats), after freshly prepared breakfasts with all sorts of goodies from the farm. The wood burning stove would be cosy if we came back for a winter getaway. We loved the antique, high beds, and saw the sheep from one bedroom window, bunny from another. The farm had one rabbit, two cats, three rams, four pigs, chickens, sheep, and one guard llama that we saw, in turn.

The bed and breakfast website was really helpful for ideas on places to try, throughout the weekend, and I found myself linking through to several sights we hadn't originally planned to visit but wanted to check out once we had extra time. Though this might change, we were able to get some ATT coverage and some Verizon reception at the farm, though Verizon seemed better as we drove around the region. The wi-fi wasn't completely working for me, but they shared the password and had lots of useful information and ideas of fiber friends we could try to contact for future workshops and spinning, felting, knitting classes. Be sure to see if Kim has any felted garments, toy fairies, magic wands, socks, yarn, or rugs for sale, made from fiber off the friendly sheep living at Grand View.

Date of stay: September 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 September 2013

Together with our 2-year old daughter we spent 4 days at VT Grand View Farm and couldn't have been happier! The rooms are very tastefully furnished and the beautiful porch is just great to hang out and enjoy the peace and quiet (especially when the two cats are around : ) The Goodlings really treated us like family and we felt absolutely at home, not to mention the A+ breakfast!! Being able to be close to the lovely animals on the farm was just great and we and especially our daughter enjoyed every minute of it! We hope to be back in spring to admire the lambs ... Thanks again for a wonderful stay and being such a great host!

Date of stay: August 2013