“Not great”

Ranked #18 of 24 Hotels in Stowe
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
“Not great”
Reviewed 16 October 2008

Just about OK for a one night stay...The room was small with very poor lighting, no tea or coffee making facilities and a bed which was like sleeping on a plank. There were no spare pillows in the room.

The bathroom was decent size with a shower enclosure over the bath. However there was no bathmat.

Patio door leading to small deck area with seats.

The food was OK, this was a meal pre-booked for a tour group and was a reasonable price considering there was nothing else available in the area for a tour group.

I would not choose to stay here again, it is what it is described as a ski resort hotel and quite basic.

Internet facilities in lobby which were not working when we tried.

• Liked — Charming elderly American gent I was chatting to in lobby
  • Disliked — Just about everything, not my type of hotel
  • Stayed October 2008
1 Thank SENORAWestMidlands

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Hebrew first
Bay City, Michigan
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 2,388 helpful votes
Reviewed 15 October 2008

We thought hard about reserving this motel in Stowe for our fall foliage trip to Vermont and New Hampshire. I tried getting opinions on the motel from the Vermont forum, but that was for naught, I don't think one person answered my different queries. So, we went ahead with the reservations and now I wish I had listened to my gut instinct. The place could be a little gem for Stowe. The prices were one of the lowest around (now I know why) and they had vacancy up until the Saturday of Columbus Day weekend, another sign I should have taken into consideration. However, I saw several motels with half full parking lots in Stowe, so they couldn't be full either.

Checkin was quick, the lobby is nice, various books, magazines lying around for you to peruse. No fire in the fireplace. The office looks to be a mess, as they keep the door open from the back hall. A computer is available for your use, but we did not partake. I believe there might be games also, but never saw anyone playing. Our room was okay, it was clean upon arrival, the bathroom was nice-looks to have been recently remodeled. We had a nice deck to use, but there were leaves all over in piles, and the furniture (2 chairs and a small table) were filthy. So, we never sat out there, though the weather was perfect for doing so. The room was very warm, and we had to keep that deck door open most of the time we were there during the daytime. The hallways are extremely dark and hot. Our bed was terrible, very, very uncomfortable. Our remote broke the 2nd day, and they did fix that by our return later in the evening. Our room, however, was not cleaned that day. Our room was also very dusty upon arrival-the headboard, the lamps, the clock, the nightstands, like the old saying, had an inch of dust on them. The room decor is cute. The shower pressure, the plugs, the phone, the lighting all worked. The lighting, however is pretty poor, just 2 lamps on the nightstands and not bright enough to read well.

I found the 2 men working the desk (morning/afternoon shift and then evening shift) both rude, uninformative, and cocky as hell. When I inquired about our room not being cleaned, I was told it had been listed as clean, when I again stated it was not cleaned at all, they just stared at me, and then offered a lame apology. No compensation upon check-out. So, I asked for one-a meager one at that, and he stated, "Do you want the change that is in my pocket?" I also inquired of the evening person about getting the room cleaned and his response, "I wasn't here during the day, not my problem." I think that says it all-customer service is their lowest priority at this place. Every time I called, they were very odd. Another sign I should have listened to!

The pool looks to be in need of some paint and maintenance. We did not swim, but you can see a lot of rust stains and scrapped paint off the bottom of the pool and the steps. Very, very hot in there. The game room has 3 games, 2 vending machines and a very dusty, old TV sitting on the floor with a note that it doesn't work-hello-maybe take it out of the room. They also have a sauna, but I wouldn't step foot in it-lol. The breakfast was lacking, in everything. Coffee not hot. A couple of hard muffins left, and this was 45 minutes before it ended. There is a decent sized room downstairs with a small bar, but it appears that it is not in operation as a restaurant/bar.

The grounds are pretty. There is a river running along the back of this property, and we saw someone working outside a few times. There are Halloween/fall decorations; flowers. Parking is adequate.

If they put some upkeep into the place, and changed their entire customer service attitude, things would improve and it could be a nice place (and replace those mattresses-OMG-bad!). Too bad it doesn't offer these basic things as a motel should.

• Liked — Location, property is on a river, scenic
  • Disliked — Management attitude towards customers, cleanliness, the BED
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tymetraveler222

Travellers are raving about these Stowe hotels

New Hampsire
Reviewed 3 September 2008

I arrived at this Inn on a snowy day in March. The staff was very helpful with our luggage, ask if we had eaten, and directed us to a simple but comfortable room with a beautiful view of a frozen river and the mountain. I would recommend this inexpensive Inn to anyone who asks about my trip to Stowe. I enjoyed sitting in the lobby lounge visit with Tim, Rebecca, Mihaela and the cook, David and his brother, John. I felt like I was in a families living room with my closest friends. I had a wonderful stay and hope to get back to the Mountaineer soon.

• Liked — The Price and the Staff
  • Disliked — It needs a fully stocked bar and bartender.
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
New Hampshire
Reviewed 12 August 2008

This property is going down hill very quickly. Our room was a mess, the table and chairs were both broken and crudely screwed back together, the bathroom shower doors literally fell off the track if you tried to move them. The halls are so dark and dank you can barely see. The owner/caretaker was rude and crass to guests. The staff was not very attentive at all. Our room never got cleaned until 6pm and we had vacated it for the day so it isn't as though we were in there and they couldn't enter. I will never return to this property. I would not stay there if the room was free!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank NHTravelAgent
Exton, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 23 March 2008

I'm a little late on this review, but I was updating my TripAdvisor profile and realized I never posted it, so here we go...

First, a little information: the trip to VT was to prepare for my March 8 destination wedding in Stowe. My mother and I spent our time making final wedding arrangements, while my brother was along to go skiing.

I stayed at this inn for four days between Christmas and New Year. I chose it because of the fact that I was able to get a room large enough for three people for under $200 a night. It was one of the cheapest that I could find for that holiday week at a place that didn't look like a complete hole.

The other hotel that I seriously looked at booking was the Best Western in Waterbury, and I chose this one because of its location. They were the same price per night, and this inn is actually in Stowe. The Best Western is a 15 minute drive away from the town. The Mountaineer in is very close to Stowe Mountain Resort, and the Stowe shuttle bus has a stop right next door. My brother took advantage of the shuttle to go up to the mountain, and was glad that the stop was so close by.

Now, about the Inn. The room was very nice and clean. It's definitely not the Plaza, but if that's the type of thing your'e looking for then you are in the wrong place. It was a nice size for three people, at no time did I feel cramped. There was a balcony outside the room, which was nice. The balcony is attached to all the other rooms though, so don't go leaving stuff out there.

The staff was very friendly and helpful. The pool and hot tub were nice, nothing really noteworthy there. The breakfast was a pretty standard buffet, pancakes/bacon/eggs/ etc. Once again, not bad, but nothing really noteworthy. The highlight was the free WiFi that was available in the common room. Bring your laptop. There is also a computer that is free for the guests to use.

Overall, I was happy with my stay here. I would reccomend this inn to groups of people who are coming to Stowe to ski and need somewhere affordable to sleep at night.

• Liked — The WiFi internet access
  • Disliked — The steep hill to get back out on the road. Not friendly in snow.
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled with family