“Good hotel inconveniently on the outskirts of Burlington”

Trader Duke's Hotel
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in South Burlington
Reviewed 16 October 2012

The DoubleTree is on the edge of Burlington, so it's not super convenient to downtown Burlington; if I were visiting again, I'd probably find a hotel downtown. But the Doubletree is within walking distance of the University of Vermont campus, even if it's a bit of a walk along Williston Road, which is very close to being a highway, so if your business is on the UVM campus, it's not inconvenient. But this hotel is semi-suburban in location & is clearly more convenient for people with cars. Despite its location, the DoubleTree is a quiet hotel & I didn't have any problem with street noise. In fact, I slept quite well, except for the usual slamming doors in the morning that I've had to put up with at hotels all over the country. My room had the bathroom sink outside of the bathroom, which was fine. The bathroom itself was tiny: just a bath & a toilet; and the one annoying aspect of the room was that the door to the bathroom wouldn't stay open except a crack; a doorstop for the bathroom door would have been helpful. The temperature control in the room was good, though; it was set for 71/72F, and the heat worked efficiently when the temperature outside went down into the 40s both nights. The room was clean, though when I arrived, there was a garment tag on the carpet (between the bed & the TV) that the vacuum cleaner apparently didn't pick up; other than that, though, there was nothing amiss about the room or the hotel. I didn't go for any meals in the restaurant or use the spa, so I can't comment on those facilities, but the wi-fi was free & reliable and my room had a working half refrigerator that one can't expect in all hotels. The one really nice little detail was a small pillow that was quite firm, unlike the overly soft pillows that just didn't work for me. While the hotel is not architecturally distinguished, it's not ugly, either, and I really liked the lobby, which had a working fireplace & was very cozy; it really looked like one would imagine a country inn in Vermont would look like. The staff was friendly & helpful and they sent a van with the image of a giant cookie on it to pick me up at the tiny Burlington 'International' Airport; and when I arrived, the staff gave me the warm chocolate chip cookie the Doubletree chain is famous for. I also appreciated their having local Vermont Macintosh apples in a basket at the front desk; I had 2 of them & they were fresh & crisp~!

Room Tip: Go for a room on the 2nd floor; 1st floor rooms in the front directly face the parking lot.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,049)

Reviewed 13 October 2012

So i arrived quite late around midnight. All i wanted was a no hassle checkin and a quiet room. Outstanding. Easy checkin, nice room, well appointed, and quiet. Not as run down as a lot of places seem to be these days, pleasant stay and i would definitely go to stay here again in future.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Jen B, Front Office Manager at Trader Duke's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2012

Thank you for taking the time to rate our property. I hope you enjoyed your time in Burlington! I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our hotel and we hope that you have the opportunity to visit us again soon!

Reviewed 13 October 2012

We got a great deal here with our Hilton Honor points. I used them to buy down our room to $70 a night. This place was updated sometime in the the mid 2000s and they did as much as they could do with what they had to work with. The 8 ft ceiliings are almost always a dead giveaway of the age of hotel. The room was so narrow that we could barely move our cart in. But the room was clean and the update on furnishings was good. The beds were extremely comfy. Free vouchers for breakfast at their restaurant was a plus. Excellent location and efficient staff. We would stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for one that doesn't look into an obstructed view
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your candid review of our hotel. I hope that you enjoyed your time in Burlington, VT! Although we are an older property, we do try to surpass our guest’s expectations with our stellar guest service. I am glad that you were comfortable in our hotel and enjoyed your meals in our Vermont themed restaurant, Trader Dukes. We hope that you will visit us again soon!

Reviewed 7 October 2012

What a sham. This location doesn't deserve to be part of a Hilton chain. Rooms are bad; plumbing is noisey, hallways are dirty and smelly. Most annoying was the restaraunt; staff were clueless during peak breakfast hours. Many tables are marked reserved and we were told there was over a 20 minute wait. We chose to sit at the bar, the bartender was inept; didn't know how to work the cash machine and needed to helped for each transaction. We chose to serve ourselves at the buffet; waited to get silverware; waited to order toast yada yada. To top it all we got charged $10 for our kid although we had Hilton Diamond member breakfast vouchers. Not worth much. Never staying here again.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Swaminathan_12
Jen B, Guest Relations Manager at Trader Duke's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2012

Thank you for taking the time out to review your recent stay at our property. I hope that you enjoyed what time you had in Burlington. I'm very sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with your stay. If there was any issues with plumbing while you were here I do hope that you reported this to our front desk staff so that they could have our engineering team take care of the problem so that it was not a nuisance to you. I understand you had a less-than-pleasurable experience in our restaurant, Trader Duke's, and for that I apologize. I see that you were here just recently; in the beginning of October we did hire a new bartender, who was probably the person helping you in the restaurant. I'm sure that you can appreciate that it does take time to train new employees and I can assure you that we are working with our newest team members on getting them up to speed. I understand you are a Diamond HHonors guest and we appreciate your loyalty to the Hilton brand! We do give each of our Gold and Diamond guests two complimentary breakfast vouchers for each morning of their stay. If there were three in your party, this explains why you would have to pay for your child's breakfast. I'm sorry if this was inconvenient, but it is our policy and still a great benefit for most Hilton Honors guests that choose to stay with us. We are currently ranked #10 in Guest Satisfaction for all DoubleTree properties and I do apologize that you were dissatisfied with your stay with us. We appreciate all of our guest feedback as we look at it as an opportunity for training our staff to offer the best customer service possible. Thank you for sharing your most recent experience with us.

Reviewed 3 October 2012

I stayed at this property for one night in early October 2012. The hotel is well situated right off of Interstate 89 in northern Vermont. Trader Duke's restaurant is in house and a great place to have dinner and a cocktail. Suzanne was bartending and I've seen her numerous times when staying here. She is a very sweet woman and very personable. The fitness center is open 24 hours and very well set up with working machines and televisions on every piece of equipment. I highly recommend this property when staying in lovely Burlington, Vermont.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business

Thank you very much for taking the time out to review your recent stay at our property. I hope that you enjoyed your time spent in Burlington and had a chance to see some of the amazing foliage that we are so lucky to experience this time of year! We are so glad to hear that you had a pleasant experience in Trader Duke's, specifically with our long-time bartender, Suzanne. She really is fantastic and has a knack for conversation and getting to know our guests. I will be sure to pass your kudos along to her. Our guests really appreciate the convenience of a 24-hour fitness center and I'm pleased that you had the opportunity to enjoy this amenity. What's better than being able to watch your favorite television program while getting your exercise in! I hope that if you have the opportunity to visit Burlington, Vermont again, you will choose to stay at the DoubleTree. We'll have a warm cookie waiting for you!

Also consider these accommodations in or near South Burlington
1.1 km away
Green Mountain Suites Hotel
Green Mountain Suites Hotel
#2 of 12 in South Burlington
Best Western Plus Windjammer Inn & Conference Center
Best Western Plus Windjammer Inn...
#3 of 12 in South Burlington
0.7 km away
DoubleTree by Hilton Burlington Vermont
Homewood Suites by Hilton Burlington
Homewood Suites by Hilton Burlin...
#1 of 12 in South Burlington
Comfort Inn & Suites South Burlington
Comfort Inn & Suites South Burli...
#7 of 12 in South Burlington
3.3 km away
Hilton Burlington
Hilton Burlington
#5 of 8 in Burlington

Been to Trader Duke's Hotel? Share your experiences!