“Best Getway”

Kimpton Taconic Hotel
Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 7 January 2018

I celebrated a birthday weekend the second weekend of December at the Kimpton and it could not have been a better getaway for my friends and I. The hotel was beautifully decorated and festive, the staff was so friendly and warm, and we arrived just in time for social hour to wind down with a glass of wine. The rooms were a bit small, but cozy and equipped with a modern bathroom. We ate dinner at Copper Grouse, and most of the food was amazing. Definitely would recommend. Although I am a pet-lover, the only downfall was the neighboring room left their two dogs early in the morning on their own and their barking interrupting us from sleeping in. However, when bringing up the issue to the front desk, they provided great customer service in lieu of this issue that was out of their control. Their service turned things around for us, and helped us end our trip on a positive note. This ambiance at this hotel made it a perfect getaway for us, especially right before the holidays. Pros: Close to all the shops, and town. Stratton mountain is about 40 minutes away if you are a snowboarder. I am looking forward to visiting the Kimpton again!

Room Tip: Quaint, Cozy, Boutique Hotel
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank JANE P
John B, General Manager at Kimpton Taconic Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear Jane,

We love it when our guests experience their "Best Getaway" with us. Thank you for choosing Kimpton Taconic Hotel to celebrate your birthday weekend. We are delighted to hear how much you enjoyed our service, the value and our restaurant the Copper Grouse. I am sorry that the neighboring dog disturbed your visit but I am so happy to hear how the team turned a potential negative experience into a positive one. We sincerely appreciate the time you have taken to share your experience with us and fellow TripAdvisor followers.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Manchester, VT.

Reviewed 3 January 2018

First off I have to say I am a Kimpton snob - I really appreciate their properties and people and the Taconic was no exception. It was wicked cold when we arrived (-8F) and the bellman greeted us with a smile and a wave like it was 70 and sunny. Check in was simple, room was ready and clean (also as expected) although with 4 people and ski gear it was tight. The rooms are pretty 'small' in that you lose a lot of floor space with 2 queen beds in a 300 SqFt room. Our room had a lovely courtyard view - not many of them have bad views - even the rooms that look @ the parking lot you can see tall trees and mountains in the distance. The hotel is dog friendly and there were more than a few K9s there this past week - made the trip even more enjoyable seeing such well mannered pets welcomed at the hotel.

The atmosphere is charming and quniteseential 'New England'. Warm and welcoming. Clean and fun. The library had kids games, was a gathering place for the evening adult happy hour and was base camp for many folks. The staff was kind enough to allow the kids to take over an unused meeting room for activities and social time.

Only negative was that we could not get reservations at the hotel restaurant / bar because we had not booked in advance - a very popular week so if you want to eat @ the Copper Grouse book your meals as early as possible.

Outdoor fire pit roaring at night, indoor fireplace to help you warm up. Already looking at next year's vacation and staying @ the Taconic.

We decided to travel to Vermont for the Christmas / New Years holiday break and I am glad that we chose Stratton/Manchester vs Lake Tahoe this year as Tahoe was 45 degress and had no snow - not optimal for skiing.

Room Tip: only have 3 floors. King 'suites' larger in floor space than Queens and handicap rom has bes...
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Ron M
John B, General Manager at Kimpton Taconic Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2018

Dear Ron,

Thank you for choosing Kimpton Taconic Hotel on your most recent visit to Manchester, VT. We love our "Kimpton Snobs" and cannot thank you for enough for being such a loyal fan. We sincerely appreciate the time you have taken to share your experience with us and with other TripAdvisor followers. We are so delighted to hear what you liked and what we can possibly do in the future to make it even better. Yes, we always strongly recommending booking dinner reservations at least seven days in advance as our restaurant The Copper Grouse fills up quickly.

Wishing you and yours a healthy and prosperous New Year. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 3 January 2018 via mobile

We stayed at the Taconic over New Years which is a lovely hotel but we were disappointed with the food - I had the Cheddar Ale Soup which frankly tasted of neither and was to my taste very bland, the Portuguese custard Tart was also tasteless and not in anyway shape or form like a Pasteis de Nata - which by definition has custard in it - this was a vaguely custard flavoured cake! My partner had the chicken wings which were quite tasty but over half of the were pink bloody in the middle. I ordered room service the first day for breakfast and they got the order wrong and the pancakes that came were cold and uninspiring, bagel was cold and soggy and ‘cappucino’ was a milky coffee. That said when I complained they took it off my bill and couldn’t do enough to make amends.

It’s a lovely looking hotel. It’s been recently renovated so very smart and clean, yet still homely. Unfortunately, we had a major issue with housekeeping on New Years Eve which I won’t go in to but the management dealt with it wonderfully and despite being hugely inconvenienced they bent over backwards to make it right. For that reason we would definitely book there again (whereby if it hadn’t been dealt with so well we wouldn’t). Be aware that it is a pet friendly hotel, so there were lots of dogs in the reception lobby where the fireplace was - some were up on the sofas which I did not appreciate and thought very thoughtless of owners as not everyone loves dogs and almost nobody likes dirty paw prints and dog smell on their clothes. The fireplace was lovely but not enough seating and people tended to hog the sofas all evening.

Anastasia on reception was incredibly helpful booking us restaurants etc. And super friendly. Overall it’s a lovely hotel and definitely recommend it if visiting Manchester- it’s about a 10 min drive to Bromley Mountain and 25/30 mins to Stratton Mountain for skiers. The town is lovely and be sure, if you do nothing else, to book way ahead to get in to the Silver Folk restaurant which is nothing less than heaven!
However in my view they need to work on their own food at the hotel.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank eskimochild

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Kimpton Taconic Hotel on your most recent visit to Manchester, VT. We sincerely appreciate the time you have taken to share your experience with us and with other TripAdvisor followers. I am so sorry to hear that we were not at the top of our game during your visit. You should have not experienced these challenges and I cannot apologize enough. I am delighted to hear that when we missed the mark the team stood up, took ownership and did whatever they could to make amends. I am happy to hear that you will be giving us another try and that you would "definitely recommend" us for people visiting Manchester.

Reviewed 3 January 2018

We stayed here the week between Christmas and New Years. Such a lovely place. Everyone is super helpful and friendly. We have a dog and of course the Kimptons are all very pet friendly. The Taconic was especially so. The rooms were well-appointed. Not that big, we stayed in a standard room with a fireplace. The bathrooms were great, very large shower, which I appreciate! The wine reception hour is always lovely. Having a good restaurant on site is fantastic. The one recommendation I'd make is to lower the lighting a bit throughout to give it a bit more ambiance. It's such a beautiful place, would love to see it warmed up a bit. Lots of families and especially this week there were a fair amount of kids running through the halls, but I think that is unusual. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

We sincerely appreciate the time you have taken to share your experience with us and Tripadvisor followers. Thank you for choosing Kimpton Taconic Hotel on your most recent visit to Manchester, VT. We cannot thank you enough for the five star rating and for the kind words you used to describe our property and service. I will look into seeing if we can get dimmers for our public lighting to make it a bit warmer. Thank you for the suggestion. Sorry about the noise in the hallways.

Reviewed 1 January 2018 via mobile

Beautifully built nice and warm. No expense spared windows to cold out. Friendly staff. Great location just down road from famous Equinox where we used to stay. Taconic is better hotel and slightly less expensive. However the restaurant is nothing like as good as the Hotel and not as good as Equinox restaurants. Shame really

Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MeyrickP

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Kimpton Taconic Hotel on your most recent visit to Manchester, VT. We sincerely appreciate the time you have taken to share your experience with us and with other TripAdvisor followers. We love the positive comments about the "fab hotel" and the "friendly staff". I am equally concerned that your restaurant experience was not so fab. I hope that you shared your concerns and suggestion with the management team. We are not perfect and look for any constructive feedback to help us improve our guests experience in both the hotel and restaurant. I am sorry that the restaurant did not meet your expectation but hope that you will give us another try.

John Burnham

Also consider these accommodations in or near Manchester
0.2 km away
2.1 km away
Wilburton Inn
Wilburton Inn
#5 of 17 in Manchester

Been to Kimpton Taconic Hotel? Share your experiences!