“Service undermines food experience”
Review of Up For Breakfast

Up For Breakfast
Ranked #10 of 64 Restaurants in Manchester
Price range: US$0 - US$14
Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 7 July 2018

I have been breakfasting at different locales in Manchester, VT, for almost three decades, including dozens of visits to Up For Breakfast. I am compelled to write this review because today my son and I received the kind of treatment from the wait staff that I have witnessed entirely too often over those years. The food here is first-rate, and the best reason to come, no doubt. The servers, however, are brusque at best and outright rude quite often, especially on the weekends. I have found them to be quite congenial early on weekday mornings, when the place is quiet, but often when it's busy (or at times when visitors to the area are obviously most of the clientele), they bristle when simply being asked to do their job, like refilling coffee or water or providing a condiment, etc. Both my son and I eat breakfast out often, and we bend over backward to be polite and considerate in both the way we ask for things and how often we do. All too often, that doesn't seem to matter at Up For Breakfast, which had us leave today, as I expect people often do, with a very bad taste in our mouths, however delicious the food may have been.

Date of visit: July 2018

Reviewed 2 July 2018

Up for Breakfast is cleverly named as you have to walk upstairs to reach it. Staff is friendly, albeit direct as they are so busy. The food was top notch. They are around all the time to fill up coffee and drinks. I had the Hungry Hiker, everything was delicious. Get the blueberry on your pancakes.

One downside is it doesn't accept cards.

Reviewed 29 June 2018 via mobile

A bit out of the way on the second floor but amazing breakfast dishes. Hash browns better than I’ve ever had. Order anything with the wild roasted turkey! We only had savory items but both great.

Reviewed 26 June 2018

This is a small up scale breakfast nook featuring daily specials you don't see in a typical breakfast place. I've had several delicious breakfasts here and always return.

Reviewed 23 June 2018

Friends had waxed eloquent about the sour dough pancakes. The day we had breakfast here, the chef must have been on vacation. The blueberry sour dough pancakes were not cooked -- they looked more like a wet bad-tasting mess. The sympathetic waitress brought us a plain buttermilk pancake which was dense and undercooked. Coffee was not great.